Flexible Exhaust

Is there any reason why I couldn't use a piece of flexi exhaust as a permanent section?

It isn't for the S1, it is actually for my wife's Fiat 500 - those tiny engine practically shake themselves to bits, so I thought using flexi exhaust may reduce some of the vibrations carried through the system...

IIRC the exhaust on those are only mounted to the engine and not to the body or the car anyway, so i cant see much point

Yes they are, but some of the exhausts are really badly made and when you do up the bolts it puts a lot of strain on the exhaust elbows - this has led to a few stripped threads in the alloy head before. I've tried 'persuading' it to fit better without much success!

Talking to a friend earlier, he said that his wartime Jeep has a flexi section below the manifold, so why not do that on the Fiat...?

there used to ba an autoitalia place in ringwood that done performance parts for 500's 126's etc, bout 70 quid for the system, fitted very well, that was a long time ago though.

to answer your question, i guess if the box part is properly mounted to take its weight then flexi could be used, i dont know about balancing the back pressure on the pots though. i guess it wouldn't make much difference.

usual disclaimer applies :D

there used to ba an autoitalia place in ringwood that done performance parts for 500's 126's etc, bout 70 quid for the system, fitted very well, that was a long time ago though.

to answer your question, i guess if the box part is properly mounted to take its weight then flexi could be used, i dont know about balancing the back pressure on the pots though. i guess it wouldn't make much difference.

usual disclaimer applies :D

Why do i get the worrying feeling that you used to own one of these???

Flexible exhaust tends to break up in my experience. better to have the exhaust modded to put less strain on the manifold if you can.

Mo

I agree and furthermore it gets less flexible the older it gets. In some cases it just seems to sieze solid.

Steve

there used to ba an autoitalia place in ringwood that done performance parts for 500's 126's etc,
alas no more, i crashed it
Doesnt surprise me..........

Wow Real Exotica :hysterical:

Just wondering .............

Did you sell any of your "Former Runabouts" of just sort of killed all of them ? :lol:

Nige

Wow Real Exotica :hysterical:

Just wondering .............

Did you sell any of your "Former Runabouts" of just sort of killed all of them ? :lol:

Nige

very few are worth selling on when i've finished with em :D

British leyland used to use flexi sections on such design classics as the princess and maxi. I suppose they couldn't be bothered to engineer the vehicles properly to stop the engines moving too much. A bit of a bodge really and not very reliable.

We ended up using spacers to mount the exhaust so that it fitted properly.

After an engine change, new carpet, new exhaust, recon alternator and new fuel pump it passed the MOT today!

I get an extra half an hour in bed now that I don't have to take her to the bus stop every morning!!! :D

We ended up using spacers to mount the exhaust so that it fitted properly.

After an engine change, new carpet, new exhaust, recon alternator and new fuel pump it passed the MOT today!

I get an extra half an hour in bed now that I don't have to take her to the bus stop every morning!!! :D

Is carpet now part of the mot test? If so I got problems!