2007 Defender - ABS/ETC switchable?

Been looking at the new Defender as it states that CDL is standard on all models but the traction control ETC (comes with ABS also) is a cost option.

If you opt for the ETC I assume you still retain the CDL, but more importantly can you completly disable the ETC if you so desire and the ABS for that matter as well?

CDL is not standard on base models, need to specify convenience pack option.

ABS/ETC can be disabled with a home made mod or simply pull the correct fuse. I wouldn't advise doing this on the public highway (greenlane then too).

Cheers

Steve

btw, personally I wouldn't buy it as an option, I'd spend the money on a set of ARB diff locks instead.

CDL is not standard on base models, need to specify convenience pack option.

You sure about that?

The Convenience Pack listed in the table says it includes electric front windows & remote central door locking.

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Vehicles/...and_options.htm

It also has some info here about CDL and ETC, it lists ETC as an option but doesn't say anything about CDL being optional: http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Vehicles/..._technology.htm

ABS/ETC can be disabled with a home made mod or simply pull the correct fuse. I wouldn't advise doing this on the public highway (greenlane then too).

Cheers

Steve

btw, personally I wouldn't buy it as an option, I'd spend the money on a set of ARB diff locks instead.

True but lockers aren't allowed in ALRC events and some Challenge Events may want you to go in a different class, plus I think the risk of breaking stuff with them and voiding the warranty certainly doesn't outweigh their ability.

Chaps.......

Are you talking about Central Door Locking or a Centre Diff Lock, and are you both talking about the same thing :rolleyes:

Central door locking is probably part of the convenience pack but I doubt a centre diff lock is, though it would be a lot more convenient than getting bogged when the ETC panics and the 3 bongs light up to helpfully let you know you are about to get stuck :angry:

I would have thought it will be standard on the 07MY. They tried doing away with mechanical diff locks before (on the Discovery) on the grounds that electronics were wonderful and could do everything much better - then reintroduced them shortly after people found that swearing at the "three bongs" (Discovery ETC failure: bong bong bong and all the warning lights come on) in the middle of nowhere didn't do much for getting you home!

Chaps.......

Are you talking about Central Door Locking or a Centre Diff Lock, and are you both talking about the same thing :rolleyes:

Good point Stephen, yes I was talking about Central Door Locking, never heard of diff-lock referred to CDL and also all Defenders come with them.

Bloody 3 letter acronyms, btw when I was talking about ARB's front and rear I wasn't talking about Anti Roll Bar's! ;);););););)

Cheers

Steve

Guest diesel_jim
Bloody 3 letter acronyms, btw when I was talking about ARB's front and rear I wasn't talking about Anti Roll Bar's!

Cheers

Steve

I always thought this referred to the wind up windows......

Adjustable Rain Barriers.... :D:D:D

Thanks for the replys although I'm not sure that anyone has actually read what was being asked.

I know centre diff lock is standard, that was not the question. The question was concerning the electronic traction control system on whether it is possible to disbale it.

Thanks for the replys although I'm not sure that anyone has actually read what was being asked.

I know centre diff lock is standard, that was not the question. The question was concerning the electronic traction control system on whether it is possible to disbale it.

Unless the 07 model is different from the TD5 then I would say no. My 2000 model TD5 110 had ABS and ETC fitted as options when it was a demo. There wasn't a way of switching off the ETC - ie button on the dash as in most cars (for example my Audi A4) and the only way would be to pull the relevant fuse as previously suggested. However assuming you did this and then had an accident with the fuse pulled you could have problems with insurance - now if the fuse had blown...........

Unless the 07 model is different from the TD5 then I would say no. My 2000 model TD5 110 had ABS and ETC fitted as options when it was a demo. There wasn't a way of switching off the ETC - ie button on the dash as in most cars (for example my Audi A4) and the only way would be to pull the relevant fuse as previously suggested. However assuming you did this and then had an accident with the fuse pulled you could have problems with insurance - now if the fuse had blown...........

Cheers for the info. And the want to disable the system would be for off roading not normal road use. I have heard of several instances where the TD5 traction control system actually hindered off road ability and even caused a farmer in Wales to write off his 90 because of it. I think it was on a slippy steep side slope, the ETC/ABS wouldn't let the vehicle stop as it kept releasing the wheels to try and find traction, short of putting it in neutral and pulling the hand brake up I guess there wouldn't be much you could do.

Cheers for the info. And the want to disable the system would be for off roading not normal road use. I have heard of several instances where the TD5 traction control system actually hindered off road ability and even caused a farmer in Wales to write off his 90 because of it. I think it was on a slippy steep side slope, the ETC/ABS wouldn't let the vehicle stop as it kept releasing the wheels to try and find traction, short of putting it in neutral and pulling the hand brake up I guess there wouldn't be much you could do.

If the traction was control was active, then the vehicle was sliding. Without it turned on, the vehicle would slide all the way to the same place as when TC was active. TC just gives you the abilty to steer into what part you want to hit. :huh:

Only worth turning off in Snow, sand etc where you actually get better brakeing by having the snow build up infront on the tyre.

I should be getting my 07 110 tonight. I'll post back if I can find an 'OFF' button

Aaahh, everyone loves a good TLA. I have actually used the quote from that link to one of our bosses when he asked what I thought was the biggest problem with our new network :lol:

If you want the ETC off-and-on-able then fit an inline switch after the fuse, if you have a spare position on the dash you could make it look very neat indeed, so hopefully insurance/dealer etc. wouldn't spot it if there was ever a reason for it to be a problem.

If the traction was control was active, then the vehicle was sliding. Without it turned on, the vehicle would slide all the way to the same place as when TC was active. TC just gives you the abilty to steer into what part you want to hit. :huh:

Kinda but in our local club we have seen examples of where a traction controlled TD5 won't go some places a regular 300Tdi on the same tyres. Doesn't happen often but in competition it does appear to be a possible issue under certain circumstances.

As for not being able to stop, I'd disagree, try autotesting a car with ABS and then one without and tell me which one stops quicker and in a shorter distance, lol :)

I should be getting my 07 110 tonight. I'll post back if I can find an 'OFF' button

Cool cheers.

You won't find a car where ABS can be turned off nowadays. Is legal requirement for it to be active all the time. You can disable Traction or stability aids with a switch on some cars (can't confirm what 07MY defender has) but ABS will always be active.

At least the traction on defender does not limit the engine, is only a brake intervention system. Normal car traction can limit engine torque as well which is not what you want off-road. That is main reason the other LR's have DSC switch so it can turn off the stability and also get rid of the engine intervention part of the Traction system. They also have adapted ABS in the Terrain response modes to ensure a bit better stopping in offroad mode.

I did read somewhere once about jabbing the brake pedal 10 times in quick succession turned ETC off until the engine was next restarted, but I'm not sure if that was a tiddle take... :unsure:

The ETC is excellent in my view. Regularly kicks in offroad on the heavily laden works 110, but more imortantly is quite useful for burning off chav's in nova's on wet roads.

Kinda but in our local club we have seen examples of where a traction controlled TD5 won't go some places a regular 300Tdi on the same tyres. Doesn't happen often but in competition it does appear to be a possible issue under certain circumstances.

The majority of reasons for this is driver error. ETC requires a different driving style to non ETC vehicles to get the most out of it off-road. It's mostly in sand and boggy environments that it can be a pain as it can sap power just as you need it.

The other area that catches ETC out is slow technical crossings of ditches etc where you don't have the momentum to rotate the wheels fast enough for ETC to react and brake a wheel in time.

Lastly on slippery ascents ETC can crab you sidewards or have the back sliding from side to side, not particularly useful in heavily wooded sections where it can wedge you in between trees. However, this is an example of where a vehicle with no traction aids wouldn't be getting up the slope at all.

The question was answered in the first response :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve