Power Steering kits????

300bhp/ton

Anyone have any experience with power steering kits for Series Land Rovers, specifically a 2.25 diesel Series 3????

I see CPC has one listed, a tad pricey maybe but still cheaper than buying a 90 with powersteering.

Is this kit any good or are there better/cheaper ones out there. Would the kit work on a diesel Series?

The main thing I'm not keen on is the location of the pump, is it really that vulnerable?

http://www.cp-components.co.uk/product_details.asp?pid=51

powerkit.jpg

This system does not disturb the standard steering box at all. Kits include brackets and pump with reservoir to fit the standard 2286 4cylinder engine

Please note that the pump mounts under the front of the engine behind the axle.. It is important that buyers consider whether this will be vulnerable in the kind of use they make of the LandRover. An alternative is to fabricate your own bracket to mount the pump higher.

The special ram with integral valving fits between the nearside steering swivel arm and a supplied bracket which bolts to existing holes at the front of the off-side chassis dumb iron,just behind the bumper. A special short drag link joins the lower relay lever to the pas cylinder.

Other advantages:

The system acts as a steering stabilizer to help cushion steering feed-back on rough ground.

When a front tyre puncture occurs, the system will help to maintain control.

Self centreing - the tendency to return to the straight ahead position-is maintained.

Better control. Better manoeuvrability.

Much less effort needed at the wheel when cornering

Fitting the Power Steering Kit

Minor changes have occurred since the kit shown being fitted in the LRO article, although the general details still apply. The doubler pulley that fits BEHIND the crankshaft single pulley is threaded to take two fixing screws. These should be countersunk head to accommodate the sloping front face of the crankshaft pulley.( or a flat area needs machining to provide a flat face to take the machine screws)

ALL PARTS SHOWN IN RED ARE NOW SUPPLIED ZINC PLATED

Note:

We can fit the pulley for you if you wish -send the crankshaft pulley and the doubler back to us- cost £14 inc p&p for return.

The chassis /ram mounting bracket fits with the pointed end uppermost.

Please note that the hydraulic system must be fitted with care and extreme cleanliness. No dirt should be allowed to enter the reservoir or hose to ram connections, so take great care when assembling the system.

It is the responsibility of the installer to ensure that the system is suitable for it's particular application, and is properly installed.

When you first drive the LandRover after fitting the kit, be cautious until you are accustomed to the much lighter steering.

THE SYSTEM IS ONLY AVAILABLE AS A COMPLETE KIT WITH PUMP BECAUSE MOST OTHER PUMPS WOULD SUPPLY WRONG PRESSURE & FLOW RATE. With alternative engines you may need to fabricate a different mounting for the pump.

pasassy.jpg

pasramattach.jpg

i used to run this kit, i bought it without the pump cos i didn't like where it was mounted, plumbed it upto a tdi pas pump and it all worked fine.

its a very powerful ram and does take a bit of the wandering out of the steering of a series but doesn't cure it.

as fridge says, fit a defender pas box if u're handy with a grinder and welder.

i wanted to get rid of the wander completely (means its safer when the missus drives it :lol: ), i now run a 4 bolt pas box from a defender, powered by the defender pump and controlled with a defender steering column, means there are plenty of spares available.

i now run a 4 bolt pas box from a defender, powered by the defender pump and controlled with a defender steering column, means there are plenty of spares available.

that's a lot better than any of the available kits. it requires more effort to set it up, but it'll be easier and cheaper to replace anything

there's also the option to fit a Santana PAS kit, but that requires a bit of luck to find one in good condition and at the right price. and they are LHD

i'd be surprised if u had to spend more than 150 quid to see it in and working providing u can do the fab work yourself.

I'd probably need help with the fab work (can't weld and don't have a welder). If I could persuade a firend to help then it might be possible. Failing that I guess I'll have to go the bolt on route.

Is there any difference between the CPC power steering kit and the TDZ one off of the Heystee Automotive website? http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

BTW - would this bolt on setup be ok with a n/a diesel 2.25 the kit doesn't specifiy and the CPC one says V8 and petrol 2.25?

I'd probably need help with the fab work (can't weld and don't have a welder). If I could persuade a firend to help then it might be possible. Failing that I guess I'll have to go the bolt on route.

Is there any difference between the CPC power steering kit and the TDZ one off of the Heystee Automotive website? http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

BTW - would this bolt on setup be ok with a n/a diesel 2.25 the kit doesn't specifiy and the CPC one says V8 and petrol 2.25?

same kit by the looks of it to me, i think heystee is paul heystee which is the old TI console, if so they used to supply to CP.

the 2.25 diesel is basically the same block as the petrol so shouldn't be a prob, personally if i had to fit the kit then i'd resite the pump.

or fit defender stuff and the money u'll save buy yourself a welder

Yes, CPC peel the TDZ stickers off and stick CPC ones on :P

Stick to power assisted. Can still turn if the pump dies.

I have gone the defender route, using steering column, pipes, and powersteering box from a defender. Ha the pipes modified to match my Nissan p/s pump.

You WILL need a welder and grinder. (Buy yourself a Christmass/Birthday gift - From me to me with love and kisses)

The mods are very easy.

If you go this way and get stuck, I am more than willing to help. There are a lot of very usefull and knowledgeable guys on this forum.

I had that power steering kit and it was pretty good ( made the steering very light) . But if you offroad do something else with the pump. It mounts right at the bottom of the engine and sticks out BELOW the vehcile. The kit was great when it was on but I had to send it back as the pump was too exposed and the drive belt fell off when muddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonk,

What did you do about the length of the defender steering column?

Was it the right length (same as series) or did you have it cut down?

Ive got all the parts now, just got to summon up the courage to start cutting lumps out of the chassis!!

the stanard defender column sits the steering maybe an inch towards the driver more than the series one does.

if you have all the bits then take out your series set up and offer up the defender bits, its all pretty obvious once u're in there

Jon, is this what youve done? Any chance of me coming over with tape measure and camera? Please?

Yes - this is what I've done.

You're welcome to come and take piccys measurements etc if you wish - pm me to arrange it!

Cheers

Jon

Yes - this is what I've done.

You're welcome to come and take piccys measurements etc if you wish - pm me to arrange it!

Cheers

Jon

if any of you (Jon and Bomag) don't mind, could you (Bomag) post the pics and share measurements and details? :rolleyes: thanks

For reasons of safety and liability i dont think that this is a good idea. Steering is a safety critical item, and as such i do not want to be held responsable if someone else trys this and has a failure etc.

Bomag is welcome to come and have a look and make his own mind up on this basis.

There was a feature in LRO a few years back that Chris Perfect wrote which more or less covers this conversion - I'd suggest this would be the better article to share on here. I have the article scanned and would be happy to email it to you if you PM me an email address.

Cheers

Jon

• 3 years later...

Fitted 2003/4. I have the CPC Ticonso;e Kit. Very good easy bolt on solution. Very light but it still wanders. Wandering, not the kits fault. Two minor complaints 1) First Ram supplied leaked new and out of the box. To be fair, it was rpleaced by TiConsile via CPC prompt. so I forgive. 2. I have never got it to self centre well, but that may be me and my set up.

I'm an off-raod poseur so I've never had issues with the supplied pump & location. I have the 4 x discs kit for TiConsole too.