Hey Turbocharger have a look at this..

SteveG

Can't be that top secret as they are mentioing them in their latest ads as under development.

Using small ball bearings to increase thickness of outer ring.

Steve

Steve,where's it?

I couldn't see any ad on their site,that's why I asked...

Via internal contacts at one of the top F1 teams I was also privy to their top-secret heat treatment process that they had developed for their Maraging 300 driveshafts

Boy,if this is not rocket science then!!!!

:o

You have to be much a powerful man to command F1 teams!

B)

Thanks for the tech tale Julian.

I'll be more than chuffed with my Moser axles I think but I always like to read of "in-house" experiments like yours

;)

If I had the powers...

:rolleyes:

P.S.

Margarine?

:)

That's what I meant Jim!

:P

Was there any mention of rifle boring the halfshafts? I know the septics quite like this one as the arguement centres on stress propagation being surface area related, bore it = more surface area

The jury's out on this one - although it might allow a fraction more torsional stress [twist] before final shear, you will have permanently weakend the substrate and you are potentially introducing new micro-fractures into a [hopefully] perfectly uniform grain flow. You could harden the bore both chemically and through PVD if required; you couldn't shot peen.

If anyone wants to impress their mates in the pub, here's what we're talking about - Maraging alloy 300 is a vacuum induction melted plus vacuum arc remelted, low-carbon, nickel-cobalt-molybdenum-titanium high temperature alloy capable of attaining yield strengths in excess of 270 ksi (1862 MPa) through simple, low temperature heat treatment at 900°F (482°C). Exhibits good ductility at high strength levels, excellent notch ductility and is readily welded. Attains ultrahigh strength through a single low temperature aging treatment. Minimal distortion after heat treatment. Because it shows so little effect from sudden or constant applications of pressure, impact or torque, or from temperature changes, it is the ideal material for high performance internal engine components such as shafts, gears and fasteners. No better readily available material for LR half shafts.

7573up.jpg

Mar300 is readily machined in the solution treated (annealed) condition. Limited machining can be performed in the fully treated condition. Annealed hardness is typically 32 Rockwell, but it can be age hardened to a strength level of 300 ksi ultimate to Rockwell C 53 - hard! Highly resistant to corrosion and crack propagation. Apart from shafts, typical use would be passenger aircraft landing gear [the pins, pivots and I believe trapezoid yokes for the Boeing 757 landing gear above are all Mar300, whereas the hollow truck beam is made from the softer 4340M], missile outer skin, rifle breech blocks and firing pins, tools and dies, golf clubs. Expensive and periodically in very short supply worldwide - current US price for 1.5" diam annealed rod $670 per metre [10kgs weight]. Ouch!!

Now I'll get my coat....

Neil

Steve,where's it?

I couldn't see any ad on their site,that's why I asked...

Hi Michele

It's in latest copy of LRO. Daves's running a nice new one page ad. I can't scan it in, but maybe someone else can.

Anyway one section of it says "Products Cuirrently Under Development" with CV Joint,Cush Drives and Drive Flanges.

Text for CV's is "We are developing two CV joints as direct replacement for the early 23 spline and later 32 spline CV i.e. the early and late models. {that bit must be for the thickies!! hehe :lol: } The joint is a complete makeover with smaller balls, allowing greater wall thickness and higher grade steel for the inner and outer members. the combinationof changes results in a much stronger CV that can be retrofitted ina stock housing"

Couldn't be arsed to type out the rest,but basically the cush drives are there to help absorb shock loads on HD shafts and the drive flanges are bling ones similar to Maxi-Drive ones to accomodate HD shafts, pics for both of these were shown.

As most of the readers of LRO don't know what a CV joint is,I suppose you could still say it's secret!! ;)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Neil,

Good explanation,

Careful though mentioning 4340M (S155) in the same breath as Maraging 300 (S162), I had a problem the other day while talking to a guy who should have known better who was referring to 300M and 4340M (both the same material) as Maraging 300, (not the same)

(I am sure you know but others may not) Maraging is far and a way a different material to 4340 or 4340M which is a vacuum re-melted refined version of 4340. In its self very good but not up to the standards of Maraging steels.

http://www.corusengineeringsteels.com/dwn/...aton%202003.pdf

For those interested you may like to look at this link but to be truthful Neil made a much better explanation than most teachers.

Regards,

Lara.

KAM heavy duty jobbies, so far no problems and check them every time I changed a shaft (lots)

I use 3.54:1 ring and pinions and am fitting a Maxidrive low range kit this weekend :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed

Lara.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on the the Maxi Drive kit. Steve, are you interested in the Ashcroft CVs?

Power guessing is easy, My car is faster than my mates car and he has a K&N filter and a twirly inlet thingy and his mate in the pub tells him he has 300hp so I must have 350 !

Brilliant - I want to try:

Will's slower than everything so his 2.8TGV has 47hp :lol:

Coat on, door ahoy!

Hi Michele

(1)It's in latest copy of LRO. Daves's running a nice new one page ad. I can't scan it in, but maybe someone else can.

(2)As most of the readers of LRO don't know what a CV joint is,I suppose you could still say it's secret!! ;)

Steve

Thanks Steve!

1)it's a long time since I don't buy/spy a copy of LRO.

Maybe I'll pop in Virgin Megastore in Milan and have a look.

Last time I saw the DB EP9.0 advert with my drawing

B)

2)

:lol: