Time for a replacement for the Hi-Lift?

Having recently participated in the "High lift jack 1 - little finger 0" posting, it has set me to thinking:

Surely there must be a better design?

Something that has a similarly useful lifting platform and base-plate?

Something that has a similar high lift capability?

Something that has a similar ability to be adapted to the LR jacking points?

But:

Something that will not fly down with a flailing handle - even if you let go at the wrong moment?

Something that will fail-safe?

Maybe something with a worm & wheel drive so that it needs 'driving' in both directions?

Something with a mud-proof mechanism.

Something with a similar silhouette to the Hi-Lift.

Something that is as quick as a Hi-Lift.

Something that has a rapid upd and down when not under load.

Something that costs less than £50 :D

Time for an X-JACK Simon?

Any good ideas anybody?

TwoSheds

totally agree here with all that,

my hi-lift has been a night mare ever since i got it.

when ever i want it to go down i have to hit it with a hammer to get the pins to click out or get a screw driver in and do it, never good.

Iv always thought about putting some larger springs in to see if this would help, may do it i think once i get home to see how it works,

an X-jack i like the sounds of though, hint hint simon!!!

James

Can't comment on other makes, but there is no problem with using a Hi-Lift or Jackall. If pins are sticking then give them a lube. I personally find that silicon spray is best, doesn't colect dirt and grit like grease.

Cheers

Steve

What about the original screw jacks supplied with Land Rovers?

Used with a battery drill or rattle gun they are pretty fast and satisfy all those requirements.

Si

Aside from safety issues or jamming up with crud or failing to work due to lack of lubrication,almost every time I have had to use a hi lift jack off road I have needed to dig a hole to provide enough room for the handle to swing down far enough for the jack to operate.The open mechanism of that design is the worse possible solution for a general utility jack IMO.

Re one of my posts on the little finger vs hilift thread. Just as on the much shorter Austin 1800 screw jacks of the 1970's,fit a right angle drive on top of the original LandRover screw jack so that it can be operated with a quicker continuous vertical rotary motion instead of thetedious back and forth ratchet action of the Landy one.Maybe add a crud scraper on each side of the screw nut and call it good.

bill.

Go with Steve on this one. I have had two genuine Hi-lifts in 27 years. Got my first when I was 14 and had started trialing with the AWDC - my dad bought it for me. Lasted 15 years then I ran over it with a 30 tonne slew. Bought a new one straight away, still got it. DOn't use it much anymore except for teaching the delights of jack winching - it's done a lt of that. Keep them oiled, keep the pins free of rust, strip and clean them every six months or so, don't store them outside and DON'T BUY CHEAP COPIES