7.50 Tyre Options

I'll shortly need new tyres for my 110 which is fitted with standard steel wheels. I'm looking for 7.50s in a mud pattern, the only ones I can find are Michelin XZLs or Goodyear G90s. I have no experience of either and would welcome views, or suggestions as to others that might be suitable.

Thanks,

Phil.

Check out the General Super All Grip available as a 7.50x16 crossply and a 7.50R16 radial, both tube type (becoming rare now! - but best for the original LR rims) but slightly different tread patterns.

The SAG xply is IMHO the best 7.50-16 mud tyre available but is LOUD on the road :)

Details http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/tyre-details.aspx?id=8 and http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/tyre-details.aspx?id=9

Check out the General Super All Grip available as a 7.50x16 crossply and a 7.50R16 radial, both tube type (becoming rare now! - but best for the original LR rims) but slightly different tread patterns.

The SAG xply is IMHO the best 7.50-16 mud tyre available but is LOUD on the road :)

Details http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/tyre-details.aspx?id=8 and http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/tyre-details.aspx?id=9

Thanks for that, I think the radial would be the option as I do a fair road mileage, what are they like? Also, does anyone have any views on the G90 or XZL, which are the others I've seen, or any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil.

Fedima offer their Extreme's in a 750R16, my Uncle used them last weekend at the ALRC National and they performed brilliant, not too bad on the road either considering how biased they are to an off road tread pattern.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm wary of tyres with a directional tread and would rather avoid this.

In a previous job the vehicles I drove had XZLs fitted, these seemed a good tyre but it's a while ago. The same firm now fits G90s but I've never driven on these so I'm unsure. Any views on either? In fact, are the XZLs still available in 7.50s?

Cheers,

Phil.

I have no experience of the G90s but have heard of many people who wouldn't have them again. Plenty of stories of worse/unsafe wet tarmac handling compared to other mud patterns.

I have used the XZLs and would rate them very highly. I used them for 20,000 very hard miles across Africa in a very heavily laden 109. The only puncture was from a large nail which was sticking through an old bit of fence that I inadvertantly ran over. I hit a very large rock at the side of a track which forced the tyre off the rim, pinched the tube and dented the wheel - but the tyre was barely marked.

The tyres proved capable in all types of terrain and still had plenty of life left at the end of the trip.

I believe they are still available but expensive, though I think good deals can be had at VASS in bedfordshire.

Regards,

Diff

As Diff said, I have a mate who has G90's fitted to his car and he is very careful in the wet on tarmac. Personally I wouldn't fit G90's. They were designed for the Army who genrally don't run around at great speed.

HTH

Ivan

Guest diesel_jim

I had G90's.... utter pants, OK whilst they're brand new, but as soon as they got worn they wern't any good at all.

XZL's are ace, and still in production too.

general SAG crosply in a 7.50 is a big tyre (quite big for a 7.50) and excellent off road, although a bit wollowy and noist on tarmac (depends on what sort of milage you're going to do on/off)

I had G90's.... utter pants, OK whilst they're brand new, but as soon as they got worn they wern't any good at all.

XZL's are ace, and still in production too.

general SAG crosply in a 7.50 is a big tyre (quite big for a 7.50) and excellent off road, although a bit wollowy and noist on tarmac (depends on what sort of milage you're going to do on/off)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think G90s are out! I do about 12,000 road-miles a year so I think crossplies are too. Seems the XZL's probably the one to go for, my local tyre supplier says he can't get them though so I'll have to shop around.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Is there a reason for staying with 7.50s, 235/85 size gives you tons of cheap new tyre options.

Will :)

Will, morning, the problem I have is that the standard steel wheels are only 5.5" wide which (even though many people fit them) is too narrow for 235s. If I go for anything other than 7.50s I have to get new wheels as well as tyres.

Phil.

My 110 came with Goodyear 7.50 Wranglers. Not bad but the are lethal in the wet when the trad gets down to 5mm.

I've swapped for 235's on Discovery steel rims. Much better ride and road holding.

My ten bobs worth.

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

My 110 came with Goodyear 7.50 Wranglers. Not bad but the are lethal in the wet when the trad gets down to 5mm.

I've swapped for 235's on Discovery steel rims. Much better ride and road holding.

My ten bobs worth.

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

Mike, thanks, I'm coming to the view that it'd be easier to change to wider wheels. I'm considering the Paddocks offer of XZLs on Wolf rims which would give me a wider rim and more options in future. My only reservation is I'll need 5 which is quite expensive.

Phil.

Phil

That's a very good price from paddocks.

I'm expecting to pad £100 each for a new tyre in 235 width.

Mike, you're right, it is a very good price; it's just a bit painful when multiplied by five!

Phil.

Do you need five? I was in the same boat when I bought me first set of Simex so got four and kept and old 7.50x16 SAG as a space saver. Not ideal but better than nothing.

never did get to try it though and several miles later I now have a pair of Simex as spares.

Do you need five? I was in the same boat when I bought me first set of Simex so got four and kept and old 7.50x16 SAG as a space saver. Not ideal but better than nothing.

never did get to try it though and several miles later I now have a pair of Simex as spares.

Trev, I guess there's no right answer to this one, most wheels have a different offset to the standard steels. Given the distances I sometimes have to travel, I'm not comfortable with the idea of mixing them if I do have a puncture which means it's either 4 new 7.50s or 5 new wheels and tyres.

Hey, ho!

Phil.

wat about avon rangemasters, 750/16 a very good tyre, and cheap on e-blag sometime complete sets of take offs go for silly money, because there not fasionable! i've got 5 almost new on mine and another 2 in the garage. on that tyre price thingy showing xzl's there shown as the same % on/off road. also are you tubless, as the wolf rims are either tube or tubless, different types. LRO's tyre shootout about 5 years ago stated that the avons were a seriously underated tyre.

LRO's tyre shootout about 5 years ago stated that the avons were a seriously underated tyre.

Rangemasters are a jack of all trade, master of none type of tyre. They aren't particularly good on the road (in fact they are scary in icy conditions) and aren't particularly good off it unless the ground is dry, but better than a "pure road tyre" like a Michelin XPC. They do wear reasonably well and the puncture resistance is quite reasonable too - I have them on most of our Land Rovers on the hire fleet at work because of this, but I wouldn't have them on anything I drove myself on a daily basis, which probably sums up what I think about them quite nicely :)