My god, Land Rover have finally seen the light....

Guest deleted

A decent engine is one thing, but I would hope they have reintroduced the Salisbury diffs and seriously beefed up the front end or it will be a disaster. If anyone is thinking a 6x6 Landy is more offroad capable than a 4x4 they will be very disappointed. Due to the long wheelbase/overhang,low groundclearance under rear leaf springs and poor rear bogie articulation the Australian Army 6x6's offroad performance is very disappointing and the vehicles that were sent to Afganistan with the OZ military had to be fitted with Detroit lockers in both rear axles and the centre diff of the transfercase to enable them to cope with the conditions. I saw a short video on You Tube, or maybe on Difflock forum a while ago of a Landy 101 6x6 trying unsuccessfully to climb a pathetically small sand dune, which perfectly illustrated the drawbacks of a poorly thought out rear bogie suspension.

Somebody more adept at the internet than I may have seen and remember the video and be able to find and post a link to it.

Bill.'

According to Janes Defence Weekly, its got a new chassis (probably actually modified), new wider and obviously longer body. Its got the new Ford engine and 6 speed box. Payload is quoted as 3 tonnes although higher is possible. Weight is 5.8 tonnes. Its been built as a demonstrator to gain "user input and feedback" before LR put in production. That's probably why they say payload may increase.

Don't know what all the excitement is about - we have had one of these in our "back yard" for at least 8 years now. The one here is on a 130 chasis with two rear axels on a sort of bogey see saw set up. The guy who used to drive really put it through its paces and with a pretyy hefty payload too so if it survived then it must be pretty good. I saw it a few times tearing around the desert here. This one had the military HD axels, gearbox and transfer and was running a LR V8.

Adam

Guest diesel_jim
looking at the picture it has the hump on the bonnet, so does that mean it has the new engine :ph34r::unsure:

Think so, from what SimonB says......

Still, if the MoD don't take it, you'll see it down at your local Jewsons picking up sheets of 8x4... that Transit engine will pull anything! :lol:

Think so, from what SimonB says......

Still, if the MoD don't take it, you'll see it down at your local Jewsons picking up sheets of 8x4... that Transit engine will pull anything! :lol:

i belive the mod are thinking of getting rid of the wolfs because of the bowmen problem(carp radio system) as once its fitted there is not enough room boil in the bag let alone the the passengers :rolleyes: but i hope the MOD see sense and buy some of these wee beasty, and lets hope that land rover produce some other spec landys for the MOD :ph34r: but if its anything like the trucks we are getting they will be all german :rolleyes:

but if its anything like the trucks we are getting they will be all german

Not strictly true as MAN also own ERF so most of the new trucks will be UK built & MAN have their UK HQ in Swindon near Junction 16 of the M4

we have some MAN 4 wheel 3,000 gallon refuellers at work, very nice trucks too, the 6 wheelers should be arriving soon.

more on the new trucks

here

&

here

&

here

Also in Janes this wk, MoD are buying 6x6 Supercats (haven't got a pic) but think armoured Landy with enormous wheels...which have a similar payload to the LR 6x6 concept but more importantly can be amoured to a higher level. These are to replace the WMIK Wolfs in the high risk areas of Iraq and Afganistan. They also say that 3000 older "Defenders" (persumably the pre Wolf ones ie the early 90/110 NA powered Landys - not that they are Defenders) are due to be refurbished over the next 3 years. I thought that the Wolfs had replaced all of these.....

no there are still fleets of old defenders around with no power steering non turbo's and some are held together with bodge tape and green string :lol: infact alot of regiments and squadrons are running around in them due to wolfs being sent over seas!!!!!!