Why is nothing straight forward on a LR?

Mark90

90 is due it's MOT either this week or last, I can't recall. Anyway it needed a few things seeing too first, one of which was weeping rear wheel cylinders. Not a big job, shouldn't take long.

First o/s drum off, oh it looks like I need to fit new brake shoes too. Not a problem I have a pair of spare drum braked rear hubs with good shoes.

Pull off n/s drum too, yep as expected shoes just as bad on that side, but what wasn't expected was the leaky hub seal. I guess the reason the oil hadn't seeped out of the drun was all the mud had soaked it up.

So I now need to pull the hubs off (might as well do both) and re-pack bearings and fit new oil seal.

Again o/s hub was off first, inner oil seal out ok, outer oil seal just wouldn't budge, and this is when I realise Bish had my seal puller (didn't want to drift it out as bearings seemed to be ok). Luckily Bish was happy to drop round with my seal puller, thanks mate. So all sorted, new grease, new seal, back on.

Then on to n/s hub, hmmm I can see why the seal was leaking, stub axle is all scored and pitted under the oil seal. Oh well time to stip on eof my spare hubs and check what the stub axle on that is like, luckily it's a good un. So that is cleaned up ready to go on.

Then after all that I get stuck with the one part I didn't have in stock, stub axle gasket!

So last night work came to a halt, but thanks to Exeter 4x4 I should have a replacement gasket by tomorrow morning (although won't have time to get it fixed as helping a mate to lay his patio).

Oh and when I pulled the shafts out I found these...

shafts_ooops.jpg

Which nicely matches my previous set...

shaft3.jpg

Bish suggested maybe I need to consider a driving style more like his :unsure:

I think I just need more spare shafts :lol:

Land Rovers, don't you just love 'em?! :)

Yeh, yeh I know I shouldn't be messing around with a drum braked rear (I even have a disc braked rear awaiting a re-build and fitting, when I get a spare round tuit), but it was just supposed to be a quick fix to get it through an MOT, still at least it hasn't cost me too much for the parts to keep me going for now.

Cheers Jase but I had two spare sets (one spare set now), so that should see me right for a while, well at least until the next outing :lol:

I'd be ahppy to take them off your hands in exchange for a beer token or two if you want rid of them. Never have enough spares with a V8 (and a lead right foot!)

Mo, diesel? Isn't that what they run barges on?