90 truck cab springs

Hello,

what springs are in the rear of a standard Defender 90 truck cab?

Part #,free lenght,rate?

Checked the bible but didn't find them.

I suppose they're different from the SW ones...

:unsure:

Guest diesel_jim

90 normal duty, blue/red RH side NRC9448

90 normal duty,yellow/white LH side NRC9449

later Td5 90 station wagon's (non 50th LE) RH RKB101230 (from vin # XA159807 onwards)

LH RKB101240

90 HD pre Td5 RH NRC9462

LH NRC9463

Spring data taken from here gives:

NRC9448 15.31" free length 225lb/in rating and 8 coils

NRC9449 14.80" free length, 225lb/in and 8 coils

Thanks mate,

I did check on John's website as well but I thought truck cabs were fitted with different springs than SW,

as I took the full roof of and now the lighter tail is sky high...

:o

Hence my question...

Thanks mate,

I did check on John's website as well but I thought truck cabs were fitted with different springs than SW,

as I took the full roof of and now the lighter tail is sky high...

:o

Hence my question...

The springs quoted above by Jim are correct with my 05 TD5 90 Truck Cab. They are the HD rears that come as standard with all 90 TC's. Unfortunately I only measured it after I put the Hardtop on, but in case they are any good here they are..

RH Rear 52.3cm

LH Rear 50.4cm

Both are hub to wheel arch ;)

Funnily enough, after trying various set-ups, I now use these two type of springs all round. I use the Yellow/White on the front and Red/Blue on rear with the spring cups turned round on the bottom and RR rubber isolators on top of spring. This makes for a good combination with the X-Springs on the rear. Turning the spring cup over and fitting the rubber isolators adds about 25mm to height on rear.

I measured it all again to see what lift there was compared to when it was stock..

RH Rear 52.3cm now 54.8cm

LH Rear 50.4cm now 54.8cm

RH Front 52.3cm now 53.9cm

LH Front 51cm now 53.9cm

So it's sitting slightly higher at rear by about 1cm, but I'm happy to leave it at that for when I'm carrying all the recovery gear etc. The lift is about an inch on the rear and is just over half an inch on the front compared to highest side when it was factory spec. I just need to move fuel filter now so that I can finish it off and fit the rear Gwyn Lewis mounts and the rear Rough Country shocks.

Here are some pics if you are interested ..

LatestSuspension018Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension019Medium.jpg

ans some pics of Si's X-Springs in action ;);) ...

LatestSuspension020Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension021Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension026Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension027Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension029Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension030Medium.jpg

LatestSuspension034Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I notice that you have gone away from the + 2" lift using RRC HD springs - any particular reason why?

Just wondering

I have the RRC HD's on my 90 all round -seems to work ok going to lower the rear shock mounts shortly.

Have a look HERE

Steve

AFAIK, they fit the same springs to everything. I realize it makes no sense, but that is all I know and that is what the parts book says. I put longer (Discovery) springs in my 90 when I added the hard top.

Hello John,BTW I got hold of a couple of Disco springs missing in your list, I will take measurement and will let you know so to update the page...

Thanks Steve,the 90 is yet on RRC HD all around (were fine with the SW roof)...I'll have to play with what I have in the box now...

Hey Ian,

I have a couple of 764s I tried on the front but they're too tall IMO,although the front is heavy (8274+bumper)...

I'm seriously considering to lower the 90 to the stock height but then I would miss the nice articulation,other than get rid of the longer shocks and Jez's arms and bla bla bla,plus tyres could hit everywhere...

There has to be an answer half the way... :(

(filling the loadbay with bricks could be a solution...)

<_<

I'm seriously considering to lower the 90 to the stock height but then I would miss the nice articulation,other than get rid of the longer shocks and Jez's arms and bla bla bla,plus tyres could hit everywhere...

What tyres are you running Michele?

Running at stock height doesn't mean you have to sacrifice articulation. Using plus mounts like the Gwyn Lewis challenge ones would enable you to run the long shocks at standard height. Keeping the rear arms would be ok too.

I tried various suspension set-ups, +2", +1.5" and then settled on the ~+1" set up I have now. I like the road holding of the 225lb/" springs all round and they don't limit upward travel on compression. With some wheel arch trimming you should just be able to squeeze 35" tyres without rubbing.

Steve

I notice that you have gone away from the + 2" lift using RRC HD springs - any particular reason why?

Just wondering

I have the RRC HD's on my 90 all round -seems to work ok going to lower the rear shock mounts shortly.

Have a look HERE

Steve

Hi Steve

I went away from them pretty much straight away. Couple of reasons. I found handling with the 170lbs all round too soft on road. Putting stiffer springs on the front cured this though to an acceptable standard. Also before I put the winch on, lift on front was too high and I was getting prop vibration. To be expected though so not fault of springs.

Then I just found the rears too soft for the TD5 off road. With a full tank, recovery gear in the rear and the odd passenger and it would be hitting the bumpstops all the time off road. So I needed to fit a stiffer rear springs. Tried Britapart springs and these worked very well, just the rear was a tad high.

Messed around again, beacuse I couldn't help it :rolleyes::rolleyes: , and put Devon 4x4 OME Challenge spec springs. All sat level and they perform well on road and off, slighty softer on road and I would guess they are rated at about 190-200lb/". I decided though 2" lift was too much for me and not necessary. Also front prop vibration was back again ;) . In addition, I talked to Si at X-Eng and he reckoned best springs for X-Spring are a harder and shorter spring. So i looked at spring specs and reckoned I could get an almost level 90 with the set up explained above with the short springs and harder rating suggested by Si. I'm now happy with set up and LR springs are easy to source and cost effective.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm running Interco SSRs in 285/75 size (33"),and they rub with the RR HD springs all around.

These were good enough with the SW roof on the back,8274 and bumper on the nose.

10" travel Bilstein shocks all around with raised rear mounts like these (retained rear springs)

rearshockupper.jpg

and custom raised front turrets (adjustable).

Discovery bumpstops (these are just 20mm too short so the shocks bottom out,should be raised a tad).

Springs were not so bad to my taste for road use,while the shocks are too soft I think.

Yesterday I borrowed and fitted 2x Discovery Tdi rear springs (progressive BTW) + rubber isolators,as temporary solution,the 90 now sits more levelled and the noises/vibs disappeared.

Change a bit and it's snowball effect...

The never ending story...

(ouff)

What tyres are you running Michele?

Running at stock height doesn't mean (...) Using plus mounts like the Gwyn Lewis (...) Keeping the rear arms would be ok too.

(...) settled on the ~+1" set up (...)you should just be able to squeeze 35" tyres without rubbing

Rod - you can order a wide angle A frame ball joint from X-Eng, its not part of the X-Spring setup but is advertised with it and obviously makes the system work better if fitted.

As BBC mentions i am running OME Challenge springs from D4x4 on the Truck Cab which i find superb. They are not 764 or 781 but ones specially made for Devon and as Steve mentions give about +2" with good onroad manners as well. on a challenge truck ie 2 winches and cage plus associated kit they are great although i would have thought they would be too high with a lighter vehicle.

There is alot to be said for std springs, LR didn't spend years researching it for nothing, it only if you want to increase your vehicles envelope of capabilities you need to look beyond what LR wanted it to do, but with small modifications (adding X-Springs etc) it still shows that LR springs work.

do you happen to have the part No for the RR rubber isolators you have used?

Yes, I used these ones, ANR2938, about a fiver each IIRC

DSC09134340.jpg

On the front, a discovery one can be used too, RBC100111

DSC00313340.jpg

It's possible to use the RR ones top and bottom of the spring to give a 1" lift over stock.

Michelle, Ah - if your tyres rub with the red/whites then they will certainly rub at 1" and standard then :) I'm using 255/85's so ~33.5" and they only rub with the 1" set up when the wheel is stuffed up into the arch. I plan to slightly trim the bottom 15cm of the arch to stop this.

With some trimming on the hybrid arches 35" Simex would fit on red/whites..

RRBumper019.jpg

Cheers

Steve

q rover, James and Steve.

thanks for the part No's and advice :) .

Steve what you have done is close to what I had in mind, I also do not wish to increase the height much so will be using standard L/R rear springs in the same manner as yourself.

Cheers Guys

Rod

My tires rub both the (trimmed) flares and the wheelboxes...

I need some spare time to cut the flares a bit more (will cut the lower rear of the tub flat as well),

and would like to raise the wheelboxes but that's big surgery, not sure I have the heart to do it...yet...

:unsure:

Michele, Ah - if your tyres rub with the red/whites then they will certainly rub at 1" and standard then :) I'm using 255/85's so ~33.5" and they only rub with the 1" set up when the wheel is stuffed up into the arch. I plan to slightly trim the bottom 15cm of the arch to stop this.

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to explain

As noted I have the red whites all round - not been properly off road yet and this is just my to not my daily drive

I'm using standard height turrets on the front - thinking of lowering the rear to increase articulation but do have some concerns over the shocks being dammaged - I don't want to lower the bump stops - this to me seems to reduce artiulation.

The front on mine is noticably lower than the rear due to H14 winch and bumper, I did try the standard rears on the front this did raise the front a little but not as much as the HD RRC springs - they look to be more compressed than the front though.

Looks like I've been lucky as no noticable prop vibes - yet touch wood.

Thinking that I will need to put increased poundage springs on the front but will give it a try as it is for the moment.

I also experanced rubbing on the rear tub ribs with the standard setup - I run 235/85's it will be interesting to see itf this happens with the RRC HD's

Interesting thread

Steve

• 10 months later...