Bonatti Grey

muddyplugger

I know I should have known better than go to Halfrauds for some automotive question/product so no jibes please! <_<

I want to paint my battered old defender in Bonatti grey (Tomb Raider Colours), so I sourced the paint code off the web, which was LAL I believe. I duley went down to Halfrauds as they offer this paint colour mix service now (a bit like those adverts where they nick someones washing and get their living room painted bright Orange) anyway.... I says to the chap "Landrover, Bonatti Grey, paint code LAL, manufactured 2000", but he says "Land Rover, nope we dont have that make on our computers, nope not under Rover either", after much searching British Leyland have a code LAL which is 'Pewter Metallic', so I got him to mix up a 100ml pot as a tester.

The Colour is nice, but I dont think its quite the same as Bonatti Grey, this Pewter colour is a bit darker (I think), has anyone experience of getting this paint, or what I should ask for in Halfrauds (aprox £50 to paint entire car you see).

Can't you go to a proper automotive paint supplier? They would recognise the correct code and be able to supply the shade you require.

£50 to paint the whole motor? Is it grey already and therefore only requires a couple of coats?

Are you spraying, brush, roller?

I buy my paint from a local Automotive paint supplier, and £50 would only get me 2-litres of Celly.

Les. :)

Not sure where LAL came from, the Land Rover colour code for "Bonatti Grey metallic" is LRC659.

I don't recall when it was introduced but I can think of a vehicle here that is about 3 years old that is that colour, my 90 is that colour and I know there are newer ones around that colour as well so AFAIK it is still current.

Take a baseball bat and ask the nice man at Halfrauds again :P

Remember guys the world does not revolve around Land Rover

Paint codes work on BS standards

EG. RAL code

I don't know what a Auto spray shop works on but the code I allways need when colours is a Ral code or a Dulux code as being the two main reconised standards for paint coluor be it spray or powder coat or even a painter and decorater.

The code stamped on the vehicle, if you have a vehicle where they bother to stamp it, will be the LRC code, usually without the LRC prefix though. So my Discovery will have 961 on the VIN plate as the colour is Epsom Green LRC961, the 90 probably doesn't have any code as usually LR don't bother on Defenders!

I order paint for work and we always use the LRC code, never had any problems with that.

Just been out to have a look under the bonnet of my 90, and stephen is right and wrong :P

Wrong in that it actually has a code stamped on the plate :o (first time I've looked), but right in that the code is 659.

Ah ha! You see I think I went wrong at the start.... Believing some guys web page instead of posting here first!! Secondly going to Halfrauds instead of an Automotive paint shop!

I will write down these codes and go a hunting! NB Vehicle is Blue and white, so may take a few coats with brush and roller!

Ok code i have for Bonatti Grey( touch up paint from LR )is as follows:

STC4597 VT

hth.

Mandy.

The STC number is the Land Rover part number for a touch-up, it will be a pencil (aerosol paint is the same number but ending in VA). That is the part number you need to quote if you went into a dealer to buy a touch up pencil or aerosol, but the LRCxxx number is the actual paint code. It also comes under that type of part number because you can order the touch ups from the parts suppliers.

A further bit of completely useless information is that the part numbers quoted in older parts books will just have an A or T suffix rather than VA or VT. The difference between those is that the older ones didn't have a lacquer bottle attached, but the newer paints are all lacquered and the touch-ups were changed to include a bottle or can of lacquer as well (even for the older solid paint colours that never were lacquered ex-factory - work that one out :blink: )

I have a lot of the LRC codes around so at some stage I will put up a post to go in the tech archive with as many as possible as I can list - it would be useful to have I think.

When you go into Halfrauds, try to blend in....

A baseball cap on back to front at a "Jaunty" angle, swing your arm about like there are no bones in them, and try adding 'geezer', 'sorted', 'wicked', 'uh huh', 'yeah' 'dude' 'innit'and 'respect' in randomly at the end of your sentences.

This way the chavs behind the counters will think your one of them ...sorted.

see how easy it works ....wicked

Nige

When you go into Halfrauds, try to blend in....

A baseball cap on back to front at a "Jaunty" angle, swing your arm about like there are no bones in them, and try adding 'geezer', 'sorted', 'wicked', 'uh huh', 'yeah' 'dude' 'innit'and 'respect' in randomly at the end of your sentences.

Nige, you stick out like a sore thumb - that photo I have of you, your hat is on the right way round :P

Come on get a grip! :ph34r: