Workbench fab

Turbocharger

Guest otchie1

About 20 years ago I put an engine on the bench in a rented house and the thing collapsed which hacked me off mightily.I had easy night-time *cough* access *cough* to a storage area where some helpful BR employees had abandoned some sleepers so I went a bit overboard. Sawn up by hand and coach bolted together for the frame and laid on top for a work surface. I also rawl-bolted to the basement/garage walls & floor so I figure it's still there.

In event of air raid, I'm heading back there to hide under it. :ph34r:

Well I too moved into a new house last month and I was lacking was a workbench as I had to leave the last one in situ. So I read this post with interest as I needed to do something. I look at suggestions and plans and priced up wood and then after looking at ebay came to the conlusion to buy not build. For just over price of wood I bought a workbench and the good thing is that there is no chance of me screwing up the construction.

It arrived today and took about an hour to put together as it's bloody heavy (80kg+ shipping) and I had to put it together on my own. Here's some pics..

general011Medium.jpg

It's made of 3mm steel and cost £99 plus £30 shipping.

general008Medium.jpg

All fitted together ok, which I was surprised at ;) and it was level, shame floor wasn't. Hence wedge to level it up.

Not really appropriate in Fab forum, but it worked out ok for me ;)

Cheers

Steve

post-18-1189540915_thumb.jpg

post-18-1189540929_thumb.jpg

Been reading this thread with a bit of interest as I need to sort out a work bench, Steve do you have a link to your purchase and some dimensions as I reckon that'd be spot on for me.

cheers

It's branded ToolQuip and is 2m long, 875mm high and 640mm deep. The legs bolt on with 4 bolts at the top and two more on shelf.

Here's a link below, although seller has one coming up every day so don't worry about over bidding. It arrived next day by TNT.

steel workbench on ebay

for some reason above link doesn't work so here's a link to a search page ..Toolquip search

Cheers

Steve

great thread this one, have taken residence in a local farm with garage and work shop, have been in need of decent bench to affix 'things' too (currently making do with all manner of randon old furniture) anyways, went for a tootle round the grounds in the 90 and came accross two big piles of 1/2 sleepers. I now know what i'll be making bench tops out of! There are also a huge number of pallets of bricks too, so i now know what to make the legs from ;)

I think i'll get one of those spangly ebay ones when i (finally) get into my new workshop, looks ideal for doing clean things on like engines/diffs etc. The one i use now was built by vanny for me and is very sturdy its 8ftx2ft and the right height, just made from 2x4s and a double ply top bout 2" thick with 16g galv steel skin on top. i also got a massive record vice off ebay for a fiver :)

• 3 weeks later...

I used 3 inch square fence posts as the legs with a 7 foot section of kitchen worktop as the surface and all tied into the wall.

Loads of people giving away old worktops when they upgrade their kitchen. Has a good weight to it.

/Mad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I took a lot of your advice, considered my options and looked carefully at what I really need. I have a payrise, a new rented flat and should be in a good position to start investing in my future.

However, I'm from the north of the country and one quarter Scot.

I decided that I need a workbench to be strong, durable and very very nearly free.

B&Q sell flimsy plastic slot-together shelving units for £2 a pair.

Ikea sell throwaway particleboard for 90p a sheet.

They also flog bits of broken cabinets etc for 90p too.

I have some woodscrews from the £1 shop already.

23102007145s.jpg

Total cost £4.70, remarkably sturdy and holds up my toolbox and spare transfer box admirably and at a handy height for me to discover what lurks within. If I dent/scrape/damage/score/write on/set fire to the bench, oh well, 90p for another top (and I splashed out - a spare is already 'in stock' :))