CNN Money.com save $31K by keeping the same car for 15 yrs

Geminidawn

CNN financial report...

Keep your car for 15 yrs, 200,000 miles or more and you can save yourself $31,000

Toyota Landcruiser got the thumbs up but Land Rover did not even get a mention. :angry:

So how old is your LR, How many miles have you clocked up and how much did you save?

that's still a young 'un, my 110 is 18 years old & has almost 391,000 miles under it's belt, or it will have by Monday morning,haven't a clue how much I'm meant to have saved :lol:

CNN financial report...

Keep your car for 15 yrs, 200,000 miles or more and you can save yourself $31,000

Toyota Landcruiser got the thumbs up but Land Rover did not even get a mention. :angry:

So how old is your LR, How many miles have you clocked up and how much did you save?

I have had my series 3 for 17 years, but I cant say I saved any money really. its been rebuilt a bout 3 times, ripped through a couple of engines and mechanicals and on a new chassis.

daan

I have had my series 3 for 17 years, but I cant say I saved any money really. its been rebuilt a bout 3 times, ripped through a couple of engines and mechanicals and on a new chassis.

daan

Nail on the head. With LandRover ownership it is more appropriate to calculate how much you spent in those years, and how much you would have saved had you purchased a vehicle with a bit of genuine toughness and longevity built in.

Just how much money does a handfull of hub seal and brake shoe replacements, half a dozen halfshafts,2 or 3 differentials, cv joints, universal joints,clutch, gearbox and transfercase rebuilds,timing belt replacement,turbo repar,engine re ring and bearing,the odd cylinder head overhaul or replacement, door tops, bulkhead and chassis rust repairs or replacement, etc etc etc actually save one compared to the sample Landcruiser in CNNs report? If owning a LandRover for extended periods saved money I should be a multi millionaire by now.

Bill.

I run a disco for work and I don't find it cheaper but I hate E-classes and BMW's etc....nothing wrong with them I just don't like them..

My disco 2 ES Td5 is 7 yrs old

I have owned if for about 3yrs

I bought it for £12750 with 50k on the clock

I have done over 100,000 miles in it myself.

I get £5k per year = all my fuel to provide a car for my work use.

I recon I could still possibly on a good day get £6k for it hopefully not that I have any intention of selling it yet.

Probably spent £2k on servicing and stuff in 3 years

So I would say I have done well out of using my Land Rover

How that compairs to using a Pug 406 I don't know and don't want to ;)

I've owned and run my 110 for just over a year. Cost of maintenance (and I've not spared the pennies in any way) has been high, but factor that in with the cost of depreciation (virtually Nil) and it starts to make sense.

My (now 7 year-old) E-Class (I love them, but what would I know?...) has one service a year which has, so far, cost far less than the 110. Depreciation-wise is another matter.

Factor the two together, and the 110 works out to be marginally cheaper overall.

About the only thing that compares to the 110 is a mid-80's G-Wagen in terms of simplicity and ruggedness. Now, I'll bet they are monsters come repair time and probably don't suit / encourage the DIY approach as much.

It's not that easy a subject to answer quantifiably or fairly.

...and its only had 17 new heads and 14 new handles... ;)

But it's the same spade I bought when I started working :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, this has always niggled me.

I've a customer who is extremely proud that she drives a Toyota Prius and the high horse

came out when I pointed out I could run my old90 for 20 years and still put out less sh1te

than came from simply making her ecocar.

How that compairs to using a Pug 406 I don't know and don't want to ;)

Well not the last one i had

In the first year had a new A/C unit, new rad all new ECU's and complte new back door electrics due to it not telling the ECU that the back door was locked and therefore could not lock the car, so then had another one of the ECU'S replaced, plus a full set of capipers as they started to fail, plus of course the problem the 406 has with going though front disc every 10,000 miles (if you are lucky and not before)

And they say land rovers are unreliable :D:D:D

I've a customer who is extremely proud that she drives a Toyota Prius and the high horse

came out when I pointed out I could run my old90 for 20 years and still put out less sh1te

than came from simply making her ecocar.

:lol:

I bet her face was a picture