Thin wall tube - who sells it?

FridgeFreezer

So far, apart from the rather expensive option of B&Q, all the steel suppliers I've found don't sell steel box or tube with walls thinner than ~3mm, which is overkill for making little bits and bobs (my current project is storage for the back of the 109).

I know the stuff must exist, as furniture and other things use it and B&Q sell it (albeit for £££s). Can anyone enlighten me as to a supplier of lightweight "furniture grade" steel tube?

John - I've glot a few 6m+ lengths of something vaguely small. I think its around 2mm wall and 1.5" diameter. Sorry, I forget the details. Ask Andy its the same as what he used for his mudguardy jobbers. A length doesn't weight too much.

Anyway, doesn't look like its gonna be needed any time soon, so pop round and grab a length or two if you like - Andy has the keys, sort it with him. Just help yoself. Its tucked out of the way (ish), hanging from the I-beam in the centre.

Cheers, Al.

:)

See if you can sweet talk the local highways dept and pick up some old temporary road sign frames (or take a drive around and see what you can find in highway ditches). It's about 20mm square and is fairly thin walled. Might need a good clean up, but it won't cost much...

Otherwise, as has been mentioned, the local tip is a good source.

I had absolutelyno problem getting 25x25mm and 19x19mm both 1.6mm wall. Mosts

steel stockholder in our Yellow Pages kept it.

Ask them for EWS (Electro Welded Steel) they may be quoting for RHS (Solled Hollow Section)

which is normally 2.5mm.

Fridge, are you sure you are talking to a s-t-e-e-l s-t-o-c-k-h-o-l-d-e-r?

Other problem may be you are not explaining yourself properly?

You should be asking for ERW (electric resistance welded) steel tube available in wall thicknesses from 0.81mm to 3.6mm.

Diameters, squares, rectangles an ob-round (flat sided oval) from 9.53 dia to 152.4 dia and squares from 10mm to 120mm.

There is also the lesser known CEW (cold finished electrical resistance welded tube) available in similar sizes.

Try Parker Steel, IS&G, Crawley Metal Services, Rudgwick Metals, West Yorkshire steel, Tomrods Ltd and of course Hub Tubes, They all carry ERW on the shelf.