Greenlanes around Honiton?

BigSi110

Gents,

A trip to the Blackdown Hills beckons this weekend to see parents and tire out my 5 year-old. We're taking my 110.

I have OS Explorer maps for the area, but am not sure of the legality or suitability of any lanes around there. I thought one or two - nothing more - just to make the pottering around more interesting.

There doesn't seem to be many. Does anyone know different? Nothing difficult - just ones which aren't tarmac.

No problem if not, but just don't complain when a shiny blue 110 with black wheels comes into view. :ph34r:

Si.

Si have you thought about going to James (JST) drive round day- it's about 20 minutes from Honiton on the top of the blackdowns. Knowing him it'll be a fantastic day out- TJ101 and i are going as is Redben110 so there are some forum friendly faces!

I hadn't given it serious thought as I'm one of those horrible oiks who doesn't want scratches on my paintwork (other than the one wifey did at Broxhead), but I'll pop over for a peek. I don't have M'T's either. Just A/T's. Don't have a winch. Southdown snorkel on the shopping list, but a few months away yet.

I'll be in Dunkeswell, so may be even nearer than that.

Thanks!!

I hadn't given it serious thought as I'm one of those horrible oiks who doesn't want scratches on my paintwork (other than the one wifey did at Broxhead), but I'll pop over for a peek. I don't have M'T's either. Just A/T's. Don't have a winch. Southdown snorkel on the shopping list, but a few months away yet.

I'll be in Dunkeswell, so may be even nearer than that.

Thanks!!

Yep Dunkeswell even closer !!,, The scratchy bits can be driven round if needed !, Pugwash is only on AT's as well, and should have enough winches to go round !!! unless the all break retrieving Jim :P

Hey Si, i wouldn't worry too much- the sections that might scratch can be ignored and you won't have the largest shiny- i have that honour with a big arsed land cruiser which also runs on ATs.

as long as you have space for a Jate ring then i would come along and have a play- it'll be a fun day out and dunkeswell must be all of 7-8 minutes from the site. It's a private event (and site) so you don't get onto the land withou accompanying James i'm afraid!

There's loads and loads and loads BUT a tadge on the scratchy, I will try and find the time to dig out some stuff...

True, Dave lent us some marked up maps when a few of us went down for his 40th many years ago.

My P38 got stuck in the camping field :rolleyes: so I hopped in with a mate - and some of the lanse were very overgrown and narrow.

Great fun though.

Yes, as Dave says, most of our lanes (probably 99%) are paintwork unfriendly at one point or another. Tyres wouldn’t have been a problem as most of the Devon lanes are relatively hard bottomed …………. this also means that we can drive them all year round without causing damage. I can certainly think of a couple in East Devon that will be OK………. One is on the Honiton the Axminster road, and the other is near Newton Poppleford ………….

Give it another couple of weeks and the farmers will have cut back the summer growth in those lanes that they use for access, however, the current mild weather has had them concentrating on getting the autumn ploughing / seeding finished rather then the flailing and trimming………… hedge trimming is always once a year……….. Oct/Nov for deciduous growth and April/May for evergreen growth.

We will be going out on Sat afternoon but it will be in the South Hams area towards Aveton Gifford …………… mainly because a couple of visiting folk want to drive the tidal road and they are a bit wary of doing this without local knowledge. Saturdays tide is at about midday @4.5m ……………. So the water depth on the road will be between 4 & 5 feet …………… OK for me, but I will make sure we hit it in the early afternoon on the falling tide. For those concerned about it being salt water …………. This is six miles inland so the tide is caused by the river backing up, therefore the salinity is very low. Originally these folk want to drive the East Portlemouth tidal road, but that is closer to the sea and the salinity is high ………… this route is best when we have had a lot of rain and the river is coloured.

I guess I will have to set up a green lane day in the South Hams in the not too distant future …………….

:)

Ian

I guess I will have to set up a green lane day in the South Hams in the not too distant future …………….

:)

Ian

that sounds great when are we going Ian?

Si - you are more than welcome to come along and have a look. I think there are several options of

1. come and drive and avoid the scratchy bits

2. walk around and see what you think and then make a decision on what to drive if any.

The whole day will be a pretty relaxed affair, most are brining either partners or kids along with them, plus we have had a 110 on the route before.

If your interested the day starts at 1000am. drop me a PM with your email address if you want more details.

We will be going out on Sat afternoon but it will be in the South Hams area towards Aveton Gifford …………… mainly because a couple of visiting folk want to drive the tidal road and they are a bit wary of doing this without local knowledge.

Ian

Boy I had a scary moment along there some years back, Travelling at high tide some of the marker posts were missing , Well I bet you can guess the rest .

Black wheels. Blue paintwork.

I was damned each way. Parents said to do what we wanted. Wifey puts up with a lot from me, Land Rover-wise. Little-'un wanted to go. Then someone mentioned Mole Valley Farmers and off we went to please wifey (plants), parents (they like the place....) and not me as I couldn't find a decent breaker bar or funnel.

I did see a very muddy white 110 HT in Honiton on Sunday and followed a muddy black(?) 90 out of Dunkeswell on Monday. And there's a chap in old Dunkeswell who owns an ex-military 127 and a 109 hicap plus maybe a black 90. Anyone know them?

Feel very guilty. REALLY wanted to go. Opted for the political move rather than the desired move. Sorry chaps.

Spent all yesterday underneath my 110 trying to get the X-Brake cable to fit. It doesn't. My fault. Simon probably hates me as I rang him too much yesterday.