Four axle stands

I am wanting to lift The Beastie up on all four corners so I can work underneath a bit more easily. I now have two pairs of axle stands and envisaged lifting front on jack and supporting on axle stands; then doing the same at the back.

My question is whether or not this is a good approach and if there is likely to be any unexpected effects when lifting the back axle.

Presumably once it is up on the four stands I am OK unless something big hits it and topples it in which case I have a bit of a problem :( .

I am sure it is a fairly standard procedure but thought I would ask just in case there are some traps for the unwary.

Thanks

Malcy

Guest diesel_jim

A mate of mine bought 4 ex military stands at sodbury last time... they're about 2' tall, non adjustable, but ideal for LR height chassis.

he's currently got his 90 axle-less up on them, and, not that you'd want to, but you could work under it as there is plenty of room.

as said, carefull though as a good nudge would see a big pile of mess on the floor.

As long as axle stands are correctly rated and positioned then you shouldn't have any problems at all and the vehicle should be rock solid. I had my 101 like this for months while I was rebuilding it and there was no movement whatsoever. I still do it occasionally when servicing my 90 as it saves having to jack up each axle at a time.

If however the stands are not positioned correctly (check all three feet are on the ground when they take the load as they can lift a foot in some situations) then yes you will have problems but that is down to you when you set it up.

Yes ramps are very good as long as you want to leave the wheels in position and I occasionally use a set but if you want the wheels out of the way then they are no good at all.

I've had my old SIII LWB on four axle stands before. Would agree with all the advice already given.

I used to jack up and then support each corner in turn. Once you have more than one corner up on axle stands, it's a good idea to re-check all stands. I used to find that on jacking up the rear of the vehicle (with the front already on stands) the front stands did move alittle.

And yep, once all up leave the wheels on and give it a good shove - as said better it falls off at that point that with you under it.

I'd agree with White90, put the wheels underneath it somewhere when you have taken them off, and put a few off cuts of timber etc under it.... you just want something other than yourself to break its fall if it topples off the axle stands...