bonnet release wont work

hello again, you may have seen my other current post on overheating from last night/this morning....

gone to continue my investigation in the engine bay and as usual there's another problem .... may bonnet release catch wont work :o

its got a inch or so movement in it but its not releasing the catch, whats the solution folks?

sounds like another weekend outside, the missus is going to be chuffed :huh:

I had one that was stuck in same position, the striker (the large bolt with shaped end that holds the bonnet in second position had become a bit bent and the actual mechanism was sticking in the closed position.

I used a screwdriver to move striker, and the greased and WDd the mechanism which freed it all up.

Might need to get the plastic grille off to allow access to the underside of the mechanism and get bonnet open in the first place...

you can also pull the bonnet release cable from behind the grill. It is a bit tight, but put some fingers between the top grill openings just to the left of centre, fingertips pointing up, have a fiddle, you should feel the cable, a quick tug and hopefully, "hey-presto".

The bonnet catch mechanism does tend to sieze-up especially if you go off road at all. Pulling on the bonnet catch strecteches the cable, but it is adjustable. If you remove the grill you can operate the short lever that the end of the cable attaches to and can then open the bonnet. The mechanism is held to the slam panel by two 10mm bolts, the return spring, and the cable end. It's easy to remove, free up, lubricate, and re-fit. Check, clean, and lubricate the bonnet pin (on the bonnet itself), as well. If you want to replace the cable they are only about £8 for a gen item and are fairly easy to replace.

Les.

You cant get yours open, and now i cant get mine closed. When i look in the hole where the pin on the bonnet is supposed to slot into, there's a piece of metal shaped a bit like a half moon, protruding into the space where the pin is meant to go. I have pushed it back with screw driver but it just returns to block the hole.

Any thoughts?

You cant get yours open, and now i cant get mine closed. When i look in the hole where the pin on the bonnet is supposed to slot into, there's a piece of metal shaped a bit like a half moon, protruding into the space where the pin is meant to go. I have pushed it back with screw driver but it just returns to block the hole.

Any thoughts?

That'd be the catch! it's supposed to be there!

the pin is shaped like a cone, to push the catch back, then there's a lip that it springs back over, holding the bonnet closed. I'd reckon your pin isn't that cone shaped anymore and isn't pushing the catch back.

When you pull the bonnet release the plate should move out of the way to allow the pin to pop up. Get someone to pull on the release and see if it moves at all. If not the inner cable has snapped, the inner cable has slipped inside the little clamp that secures it to the mechanism, or the release mechanism is siezed.

Les.

The bit that is across the hole should slide out of the way as the cone shaped pin on the bonnet pushes down onto it and then snap back across the whole to hold the bonnet down. I would suggest a liberal aplication of lubricant to both the pin and catch and try it again.

Pete.

The bit that is across the hole should slide out of the way as the cone shaped pin on the bonnet pushes down onto it and then snap back across the whole to hold the bonnet down. I would suggest a liberal aplication of lubricant to both the pin and catch and try it again.

Pete.

Looks like a good wash with wd40 and stiff paint brush followed by some good old thick grease will fix that one. They do need constant cleaning and lubricating, but then what doesn't on a Defender :D

Lightly oil it is then.

Just hope it frees up some.

Is there something that should help the plate slide back as the pin goes in? I have a feeling it might not just be seizing.

DC

THANK YOU WIFE !!!

Ok hands up time, by using womens observations, you know what i mean, when they can get a wiff somits not right from 5 miles away without even seeing anything.

The mrs comes down to help me today as i removed all the grill, the actual pin and spring cleaned it all up, took off the bottom half and made sure everything was ok.............................put back on the pin with a few extra washers to secure it a bit better then tried again.............................still it would not close.

So down comes the wife.........................................any luck? Nope i'm stumped!!!

Then she says, why are these poking out from the battery?

I secured the battery a bit better in place some 5 or 6 days ago , but the rods that where being used stood a bit tall.

Yes you guessed it........................................it was these that was preventing the bonnet from being closed. So hack saw came out.Made them a bit shorter and low and behold.............................bonnet closed.

Couldn't stop laughing for about ten minutes.