Too Much Fuel? Part 2

DC_

UPDATE:

Got the genuine cap fitted yesterday but far too wet to chance a break down and a test drive.

The rotor arm is due in monday or tuesday so i will get that on and see if it makes it even better.

Took it today for a test drive with better results. Last time i got 2 miles if i was lucky before slowing down at a junction and it cut out.

Today, got to the same junction and all seemed fine. Made it a few more miles and all was good. Stopped off at my dad's for a cuppa, then headed to the petrol staation as you do.

Second junction i had to wait about 15-20 secs and it cut out. Started up straight away and went to the station without any trouble. Put my £30 in and headed off for more testing.

Done a few miles more no prob without really stopping. Then at lights i had to stop for again around 20 secs, put it in neutral as it seems to idle better out of gear, then as i put it into gear and tried to move it cut out. Started again and off we went. So it seems that it's really only when i am stopped with foot on brake.

Another thing i noticed is that it runs on too fast, After running at around 2000rpm, it settles down then if i drive it and pop it back into neutral it revs up again to around the 2000rpm or even slightly more.

So if anyone can think of the problem that it may be i would be glad to hear.

It's defo feeling better than it did so the new cap and CTS seems to have improved things.

DC

I have a pipe that i think needs looking at but unsure of it's job.Here's a wee pic of it. It has a T connection in the middle but someone has tried to do a repair, not a good one by the look of it.

DSC01795-2.jpg

The red is the pipes and the cicle is where the repair has been done.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like this could be a factor then .

Just put on GENUINE dizzy cap at weekend there, and now today i have just fitted GENUINE rotor arm.

So the T joint has been patched up with what looks like plastic paper and grease.

Srange................i'll get it sorted ASAP.

The pipe is the engine breather & the grey tower on the o/s rocker cover has wire mesh inside as a filter. Usually clog up with oily cr8p. Remove (unscrews)wash out in petrol & allow to dry. Do NOT dry with high pressure air.

Where the other end of it enters the plenum it turns 90deg to the o/s then 90deg to the rear, then into the plenum near the butterfly. Frequently blocks up solid with cr8p (which causes the crankcase to pressurise & oil to leak out of all sorts of places) which can sometimes be cleared with carb cleaner or similar.

To do this remove the trap to plenum pipe, remove the pipe from the AFM to the plenum, prop the butterfly open, push a clean lintfree cloth into the plenum to catch the stuff that flushes out & spray.

On mine the passageways were blocked solid & I had to pull out the metal pipe the breather pipe goes onto (interference fit) & use a twistdrill between my fingers to clear the blockage before flushing.

If you have an air leak on this pipe then that can upset the idle.

Yes, the Tee Piece indicated is part of the breather system……………any air leak in this area will cause very rough running

The Tee piece has a restrictor built into it on the Plenum feed side ………….. the part number of the Tee piece is ETC6374.

The pipe that goes from the restrictor to the plenum is specially shaped to avoid oil staying in and blocking the pipe …….part number ERC9218

The you have the pipe from the flame trap to the restrictor …….ETC 6370

Then the pipe from the restrictor Tee to the throttle body …….ETC6371

:)

Ian

I also see you have a flashback arrestor on the entry to the plenum. Looks like the same sort as I have on mine.

You would be well advised to run a bead of sealant - or RTV instant gasket - around the outside of the joint as it will almost certainly be letting air in which will also upset the idle. Same goes for the gas ring joins.

Any airleaks which occur after the airflow meter are bad news.

I also see you have a flashback arrestor on the entry to the plenum. Looks like the same sort as I have on mine.

You would be well advised to run a bead of sealant - or RTV instant gasket - around the outside of the joint as it will almost certainly be letting air in which will also upset the idle. Same goes for the gas ring joins.

Any airleaks which occur after the airflow meter are bad news.

Ok need to go back to basics, flashback arrestor? RTV instant gasket...................gas ring joint.....................

Help LOL

Ok need to go back to basics, flashback arrestor? RTV instant gasket...................gas ring joint.....................

Help LOL

Flame trap = Big grey tube thingy screwed into Rockery cover thingy on Driver side front (facing RR :) ) near front

RTV = Special Sealant for joints - used on 4x4s etc squishes out everywhere and makes a F dreadfull mess if you use too much :rolleyes:

gas ring joint = lighting ciggys with illegal substances from gas cooker ring :lol::P

Nige

Flashback arrester (aka backfire valve) is the ally thing with the orange elastic band round it on the plenum. It has a flap inside it which shuts if a backfire occurs & pressure should be vented through holes which are covered by the band.

The 'gas ring' is the ally thing next to it that the LPG pipe goes to.

The grey thing you have labelled as flame trap is referred to in the LR manual as 'Engine flametrap - fuel injection models'.

The flashback arestor (backfire valve) is correctly indicated. Look to the left of your arrow & the join betwen that & the plenum is where to run sealant.

So you are on the right track!

(Just think how much embarassment a factory manual could save you <_< )

(Just think how much embarassment a factory manual could save you <_< )

Thanks for the info although i don't really get your last comment.

I am not embarassed to be learning about things i can rectify through places like this.

I find this more informative than sitting scrolling through a book,with no one to confirm if i am doing the correct thing. Ask 10 people and i will get 10 different answers all of which may help solve my problem.