Axle Weight Q

Hybrid_From_Hell

i'd be thinking along the same ball park figure as Tony if youve got large tyres on/

2 tyres/wheels probably about 40kg each ( my old 265 dirt devils on modulars were 35kg each IIRC )

axle + diff + discs must come in at about 70 to 80 on the rear and 80 to 90 on the front - it doesn't feel as much as 100kg

suspension arms are going to add upto about 15 to 20kgs.

i vaguely remember a discussion on making an LR axled trailer and the weight of an LR axle bog standard setup being around 150kg mark. combined with the weight of the overall trailer, it made the project unfeasiable as a useful load carrier wtihout needing over-run brakes.

Oh well, ................

I have calc'd meself out.

have decided that 180-220kgs range and recalced...... factoring in the unsprung weights, ......

........and have decided that I now how to just 'go for it'...

Dealer phoned, .......order placed, ........and prayers started, ...........

2x brand new sprongs coming my way..............

Nige

Hopefully there next appearance won't be joining the others I have (unsucessfully tried) on Classifieds secton :unsure::angry:

well a guess really as I can just pick up an rear axle and carry it a short distance

:blink:

Jeez!

The only time I tried to do that I let it where it was!

Can you really lift a beam axle on your own and carry it around?

Whoa...

I'm definitely getting old...

:(

Now un-sprung weight is a difficult question, and remember that for performance calculations you need to remember that it should be a percentage of the sprung weight, IE, a 2 ton car with 500lbs of wheels and axles will control the suspension differently than a 1 ton car with 500lbs of axles,

AND,

Is the spring sprung or un sprung?

Is the radius arm sprung or un-sprung?

Steering arms, Panhard rod, shockabsorbers?

And if so how bigger percentage?

I don't want to know and certainly can not be bothered to calculate that lot for a Landrover that is never going to realistically "handle" anyway :ph34r::ph34r:

Good luck :blink:

Lara.

What about when you go over a bump and leave the seat? should you then deduct the driver and co drivers weight

:blink:

My brain hurts :lol::lol: