Road tyres

Hi,

I use my 90 for road use and it will probably go only as far as across a field or out in the snow during winter.

I need to replace the tyres as they weren't amazing when I got them and I have to steer to the left all the time as I believe the tracking is out.

So when I get that sorted I want to replace all the tyres with a nice shiny set but I have no idea what ones to look at.

Has anyone got any advice on which tyres are good for general road and motorway use but can handle going across a field or 2 should the need arise?

Also, which size should I get to fit standard LR 16" rims?

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

I use my 90 for road use and it will probably go only as far as across a field or out in the snow during winter.

I need to replace the tyres as they weren't amazing when I got them and I have to steer to the left all the time as I believe the tracking is out.

So when I get that sorted I want to replace all the tyres with a nice shiny set but I have no idea what ones to look at.

Has anyone got any advice on which tyres are good for general road and motorway use but can handle going across a field or 2 should the need arise?

Also, which size should I get to fit standard LR 16" rims?

Thanks

Steve

I use 235/85/16 General TR's, these are what LR put on their new Defender's and have been for quite some time. The current set I have on have done a total of 30k between 2 vehicles and there is still at least another 20k in them. They just keep going on and on and are reasonable for off road use as the Land Rover is quite heavy and doesn't just rely on tyre tread. I'm happy with mine as I do about 20k a year predominently on road but they never let me down when I go on shoots (across wet boggy fields) etc.

Cheers

I use 235/85/16 General TR's, these are what LR put on their new Defender's and have been for quite some time. The current set I have on have done a total of 30k between 2 vehicles and there is still at least another 20k in them. They just keep going on and on and are reasonable for off road use as the Land Rover is quite heavy and doesn't just rely on tyre tread. I'm happy with mine as I do about 20k a year predominently on road but they never let me down when I go on shoots (across wet boggy fields) etc.

Cheers

Cheers MrWoo, sounds like the exact sort of thing I need

Another vote for Grabbers TR's here :D

I use them as my road tyres, and they have been great in the few months i've had them. Also they are quite good in the mud, and shockingly good on stone/shale/rock.

There are usually plenty of nearly new sets being sold off new vehicles for reasonable money.

Another vote for Grabbers TR's here :D

I use them as my road tyres, and they have been great in the few months i've had them. Also they are quite good in the mud, and shockingly good on stone/shale/rock.

There are usually plenty of nearly new sets being sold off new vehicles for reasonable money.

+1

I'd fit Grabber AT2s for that sort of use.

So would I if it wasn't for the fact that as Langmeister says you can pic up nearly new take off TR's for not a lot of dosh. That was the reason I had them on my 110 for everyday use for a couple of years. Yes there are better tyres available but they are a decent tyre that is often available for a decent price. I only really used mine for road use and pulling trailers out of wet/muddy/grassy firelds where they done the job.

I asked the same question some time ago. see link I went for the AT2 s with which I am very happy.

They seem similar to the TRs on road, but in light off road/muddy conditions are much more secure.

There is a post somewhere on here which has a link to reviews of user feedback for different types of tyre which is both interesting and useful. If only I could find it......

I found the TRs slipped a lot when on fairly tame brown stuff.

Martin

Timely thread. There's an article in this months LRO about choosing the right tyres.

Conculsion is that everyone tends to get more extreme tyres than they need and consequently suffer performance problems most of the time. The TR is a perfect tyre for on-road, occasional off-road use.

Guest otchie1
Timely thread. There's an article in this months LRO about choosing the right tyres.

Conculsion is that everyone tends to get more extreme tyres than they need and consequently suffer performance problems most of the time. The TR is a perfect tyre for on-road, occasional off-road use.

There's also the question of the off-road conditions you drive in. Even if you spend 9/10 off your time on-road, if then remaining 1/10 is slippy clay/mud hills then you may well prefer AT and just live with their less than perfect road manners.

The ideal is two sets of tyres but that is beyond my pocket.

It seems a concensus that you'll never find a great set of tyres for alll uses as there is a trade off but I have seen too many people with chunkier tyres than they could possibly need for road use, as AlanTD said, just for that once in a while use off road.

I think I'm going to get some AT2's as my 'off roading' is pretty limited to quite level fields and if i do decide to do something more serious then another set of tyres will have to be got.

I'll have to get LRO as well to see what they say

The trade off between off and on road performance is always going to be up for debate...

My 90 is shod with BFG All Terrains and although noisy at 60+ (I think the engine noise is louder though), seem to be a good compromise considering 90% of my driving is on-road. The tyres helped me a lot when I went out on Sunday, it was pouring down very wet and muddy. I wouldn't have got through on anything less I don't think! I know a couple of farmers round here who do a more 50/50 on/off road driving and they all seem to use BF AT's.

Obviously for extreme stuff you do need MT's and have a few friends who run them all year round. It's personal preference really, LRO's feature was quite intresting.

Obviously for extreme stuff you do need MT's and have a few friends who run them all year round.

It seems that all muds are not created equal.

I recently got a set of BFG muds with the intention of keeping my ATs for road use.

I quickly ditched that idea when I discovered that the muds were better on road than the ATs.

They are a smidge noisier, but it all relative when driving an old 110 with a roof rack.

I guess the superior grip is to do with the rubber compound being softer or some such. I'm sure an adult can explain.