"Mechlock" clutch locking security device

Guest deleted

I have on of the dual circuit versions of these on mine. Does the clutch and the brakes ... last time a looked it was still on the drive ....

I wanted something purely mechanical and as its a truck cab soft top you can get in by sticking your arm in and unlocking the door

Gives me a bit of peace of mind when I am not about

Although the very posessive 55KG German Shepherd also helps ;)

Yes these are good, thoroughly recommend one. As per Rod you can go the belt and braces route by getting the 4 port version and plumbing into brakes and clutch circuits.

Basically they need a low loader with a crane to wisk it away quickly.

Cheers

Steve

Isnt there an issue with legality of locking the brake circuit, otherwise they seem excellent, definatly under consideration for the D-Lander :)

It depends how it's interpreted by the law if a thief steals a vehicle fitted with a brake Mechlock circuit.

He won't get very far (as far as the first time he applies the brakes), thats if he has overcome the lack of clutch.

As the vehicle has to have the Mechlock key in place for the vehicle to work normally, if you the owner/driver have the key in place the brake circuit is not locked. Not disimilar to an ignition immobiliser or steering lock as a security measure.

I believe the law states something like 'driving under normal conditions' it is not allowed to have a locked brake circuit, stealing is not normal conditions!

Does anyone know how the insurance companies view the Mecklock system. I beieve it is used extensively in the plant business on diggers etc. They are often road registered.

How do artics work? Arn't their brakes locked by the air system? So is there a material difference between a keyed and an air locked device.

I suppose there is an opportunity for Simon at XEng to develop a lockable handbrake lever or a solenoid that pushes a rod into the disk or similar, which would slow them down unless they had time to dismantle the rear transmission.

Despite the expense I would go for a Mechlock rather than a Tracker type device which I hear are easy to find and immobilise.

John

Guest diesel_jim
It depends how it's interpreted by the law if a thief steals a vehicle fitted with a brake Mechlock circuit.

He won't get very far (as far as the first time he applies the brakes), thats if he has overcome the lack of clutch.

As the vehicle has to have the Mechlock key in place for the vehicle to work normally, if you the owner/driver have the key in place the brake circuit is not locked. Not disimilar to an ignition immobiliser or steering lock as a security measure.

I believe the law states something like 'driving under normal conditions' it is not allowed to have a locked brake circuit, stealing is not normal conditions!

Does anyone know how the insurance companies view the Mecklock system. I beieve it is used extensively in the plant business on diggers etc. They are often road registered.

How do artics work? Arn't their brakes locked by the air system? So is there a material difference between a keyed and an air locked device.

I suspect its something to do with modifying the braking circuit so it becomes something different to the type approved when the vehicle left the factory.

possibly some narky MoT man could fail it for having the brake pipes changed from factory design?

personally, i'd rather have my vehicle not stolen!

I suppose there is an opportunity for Simon at XEng to develop a lockable handbrake lever or a solenoid that pushes a rod into the disk or similar, which would slow them down unless they had time to dismantle the rear transmission.

wasn't there the "jetlock", but you could just cut through the handbrake cable!

We have one in our Wolf, it has performed excellently so far, and has yet to do anything other than what we want it to do. Ours is not plumbed into the brakes, as we believe the risk of being taken to court is not worth the extra security.

As one of our major concerns is carjacking, the clutch mechlock deals with the problem almost completely, though a better system would allow the system to be engaged remotely as we currently have to remove the key without the thief noticing (well practiced though)

I would recommend it if you feel your vehicle is likely to be pinched from your driveway or while you are still in it!

Nick and the Lone Wolf team

Guest diesel_jim
Jamie,

Not that it helps that much.... but I've got one sat in my lounge if you want a look next time your your here.

As you do.... ideal for the mantlepiece lol ;)

Ian

cool! i'll be up this week Ian... should be tomorrow (tuesday) or today if work is quiet enough.

From our website....

Can I fit the Meck Lock System® to the brakes?

NO… & YES!

EU law states that: "Devices to prevent unauthorised use preventing release of the brakes of the vehicles shall not be permitted."

We are therefore unable to advertise or supply the Meck Lock System® for use as a brake immobiliser.

In Italy, fitting the Meck Lock System® to the brakes is commonplace. The Italians get around the EU ruling by claiming the system does not interfere with the braking system when in normal driving conditions. Only when the system is activated by the owner and the vehicle is at a standstill does it prevent the release of the brakes and these are not 'normal driving conditions.' Providing the braking system has not first been pressurised by the application of the brake pedal, then in a passive situation, the Meck Lock System® is not "preventing the release of the brakes". If a thief was to start a vehicle with the system activated they could theoretically drive away perfectly normally… until the first time they have to apply the brakes. As soon the brakes are applied, the Meck Lock System® would activate. When the vehicle had reached a standstill the brakes would not release making the vehicle impossible to drive away.

Although we go along with the Italians literal interpretation of the EU rule, we feel this is still a grey area and one that could be open to legal scrutiny. MUD-UK has

Although we go along with the Italians literal interpretation of the EU rule, we feel this is still a grey area and one that could be open to legal scrutiny. Therefore, MUD UK has agreed with Meck Lock System UK that we will not supply an off-the-shelf Meck Lock kit nor endorse the fitting the device into the brake system. If we supply a Meck Lock System® to operate as a clutch lock and you plumb the device into your braking system, the purchaser does so entirely at their own risk. All warranties and guarantees will automatically become void.

YES, they are expensive. But crucially they work! Talk to anyone involved in the plant industry. They love them!

A common criticism is: 'it's a lot of money for a non return valve!' Yes it is. But the money's not in the valve it's in the thing that controls the valve operation. The lock. In the four years we've been selling them, I can say hand on heart we've not had a single reported theft. We've had a few reported attempts, but in each case, the lock has always beaten the would-be thiefs.

The Meck Lock won't stop them towing your vehicle away, but as I always tell people 'if they want it, they'll take it.' Just ask my in-laws next door neighbour who came home one day to find his caravan had been lifted over his locked driveway wall on a Hiab!