M.O.T. Question

dred90

Had my 90 fail its M.O.T. today, one of the reasons being that the Hazard warning tell tale was not working on the switch itself. Thing is i dont ever remember there being any illumination on the switch itself only on the dash, which does illuminate when the hazards are on..

I found this on an M.O.T. site

A hazard warning device is not required by Regulation, but, if one is fitted, it must be tested.

The hazard warning lamp 'tell tale' may be a separate light or the same as the indicator 'tell-tale. However, it must be a flashing light

surely the light flashing on the dash negates the need for one on the switch.. and does the switch have flashng illumination anyway? Coz if it does i cant rememebr seeing it either onmy current 200 TDI or the previous one, can anyone confirm this?

Had my 90 fail its M.O.T. today, one of the reasons being that the Hazard warning tell tale was not working on the switch itself. Thing is i dont ever remember there being any illumination on the switch itself only on the dash, which does illuminate when the hazards are on..

I found this on an M.O.T. site

A hazard warning device is not required by Regulation, but, if one is fitted, it must be tested.

The hazard warning lamp 'tell tale' may be a separate light or the same as the indicator 'tell-tale. However, it must be a flashing light

surely the light flashing on the dash negates the need for one on the switch.. and does the switch have flashng illumination anyway? Coz if it does i cant rememebr seeing it either onmy current 200 TDI or the previous one, can anyone confirm this?

im a mot tester, if it was me, youve got to think, how can you prove its got a light fitted or that option fitted, if it doesnt work? so in my opinion it would be pass and advise

im a mot tester, if it was me, youve got to think, how can you prove its got a light fitted or that option fitted, if it doesnt work? so in my opinion it would be pass and advise

Didn't think there was a tell tale in the Defender switch, you couldn't see it down by your knee anyway. Could be wrong though, I've got a decent switch on a mud console now!

Not even the TD5 with it's switch up in the Dash Console has a built in warning lamp! Again, it's built into the instrument panel...

Take it back and tell him it never has flashed and never will!

i had to buy a new switch for my 90 to pass the mot (old one fell apart)

no light in switch but then i have a warming lamp in the dash.

Take it back, if that fails then contact your local vosa.

Daz

best to undo the little switch panel & check to see if the hazard switch has 2 wires attached to 2 small spade terminals on the side of the switch, if it has these then you need a new bulb in the switch & the switch face will have a white triangle on a translucent red background for the light to show through when switch on.

The dashboard tell-tale lights will not be classed as the hazard light as they are indicator lights so might not count even though both are flashing at the same time (this could be put down to an electrical fault). My car has a light inside the hazard switch and both indicator dash lights flash as well when the hazards are on. If there is a bulb inside the hazard switch, then it must work.

Les.

I also have a Red Triangle on my dash dial display... this obviously does the same as the one in the switch!

If you haven't got a red triangle on your dash then yes, the switch needs one!

My 300 tdi has niether a red triangle on the dash or switch naver has had one, having said that when I indicate the direction lamp flashes when my hazards are on then both the direction and trailer lamps flash

further to my first reply, mine a '89 model so not that much different to yours [dred90] when the hazards are working it shows a red light in the switch & the green trailer indicator warning light on the dash panel flashes in unison with the one in the switch.

further to my first reply, mine a '89 model so not that much different to yours [dred90] when the hazards are working it shows a red light in the switch & the green trailer indicator warning light on the dash panel flashes in unison with the one in the switch.

mines like ^^^^

My 300 tdi has niether a red triangle on the dash or switch naver has had one, having said that when I indicate the direction lamp flashes when my hazards are on then both the direction and trailer lamps flash

Reckon you have a dead bulb in the warning light panel then, as yours has seperate left & right indicator green arrows & the trailer indicator, you should have a red triangle on the dash panel top row to the left of the rear screen heater warning light & directly above the diff lock engaged warning light. with no light in the switch.

Reckon you have a dead bulb in the warning light panel then, as yours has seperate left & right indicator green arrows & the trailer indicator, you should have a red triangle on the dash panel top row to the left of the rear screen heater warning light & directly above the diff lock engaged warning light. with no light in the switch.

Western,

Mines different than that single direction indicator, diff locks next to heated rear screen top row, from right to left, heated rear screen, diff lock, heated front scren, high beam, and single direction indicators, 100% no hazard indicator on dash or on the switch.

take a pic in the morning

I also have a Red Triangle on my dash dial display... this obviously does the same as the one in the switch!

If you haven't got a red triangle on your dash then yes, the switch needs one!

Do you realy have time to be on 4x4 forums shouldnt you be making plackards ready to blockade protest around oil refineries,

the photo below is of my '89 110CSW's warning light panel, no Hazrad warning light on here as it's within the Hazard switch.

top row from left,

park brake, oil pressure,ignition/no charge, brake circuit failure, indicators L & R, main beam, low fuel, difflock, rear screen heater.

bottom row from left,

tilt cab unlocked [not used], seat belt [not used], park brake, trailer indicator[also flashes with hazards switched on],main gearbox temp [not used], side/tail lights on, rear fog, glowplugs/choke, 24V battery.

2nd photo is of a LHD 110 200Tdi panel, note the lack of low fuel light & the glowplug symbol is different to mine. just found it on EastCoastRovers webpages.

post-20-1197582975_thumb.jpg

post-20-1197584368_thumb.jpg

Same as the 2nd photo in my reply above, Don't understand why yours hasn't got the warning light in the switch though,

EPC lists 2 rocker type Hazard switches for pre Td5 vehicles without the centre dash console.

ASU1009 for VIN upto WA138479

&

YUF101490 for VIN from WA138480

as far as I'm aware both have the warning light in the switch.

Tony yours is same as my 110's switch.:D