Transfer Box Problems

discotaz

When I first got the disco it had problems in engaging the transfer box. I could get it into normal drive but would take about 10 mins of trying to budge the stick into position. I have tried it again for a while as I dont wanna get stuck in neutral as it was doing before.

Would this be because its low on fluids or do you think its knackered and needs a rebuild?

If it's never been in low box for the first 100,000 miles of it's life the linkage is going to be a bit stiff. Dad's RR was like that, as was mine.

IIRC it's possible the internals have a slight wear pattern on the gear that makes engaging low tricky (I think this has been posted before or I could be talking arse?)

tbh the blurb in the handbook for going into low box says something like put into gear 1 or 2 i think and ease up on the clutch pedal whilst applying pressure to the transfer lever, then the box lets it into range

can be difficult to do without using the clutch etc ive found, but the above method works every time

tried it?

no not taking it out of high all the time, but on the 2 occasions I have 1st time when i bought it and couldnt get it back into high for 15 mins and the 2nd time when my father - in - law was playing around inside it.

Im just thinking if theres a problem with it I may as well sort it out now while i am rebuilding it.

Cheers

my slector grub screw came lose on my transfer box came out of high into low one day when i reversed in to a ditch when i got back on the road went to put it back in to high can out of low got stuck in neutral had to push my disco a mile to find a wide spot in the lane <_<

Tim

I always used to select low range for reversing into my driveway.

Was more controlable, and made sure the linkage never seized!

And saves wear on the clutch if your driveway is steep. I do this at a relative's driveway. Also low box is handy when coupling up to or moving a trailer or caravan. The more you use it, the better it works!

first LR.....

when the little gearlever next to the big gearlever is in neutral, does that mean the gearbox is isolated from the engine.

when i put the little lever in the N position and select gears with the big lever the car wont drive, is that correct.

so if the transfer box selecter is in the neutral position, and i select 1 gear the disco should still pull away. at present it only pulls if the transfre box lever is in HI or LO gear position. I have also noticed the diffloc warning light sometimes failes to come on when the lever is in the difflock position.

so if the transfer box selecter is in the neutral position, and i select 1 gear the disco should still pull away.

Err No..... Neutral is the clue.

As BogMonster said "doesn't isolate the gearbox from engine, isolates gearbox from the axles" hence no drive.

Basically

The drive train:

[1]Engine.. [2]Clutch/torque converter.. [3] Gearbox.. [4]transfer box.. [5] Propeller shafts..[6]Differentials.. [7]Half shafts.. [8] Wheels

If high or low is selected you will have drive unless any of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 or 8 fails.

If high or low in diff lock is selected and you have a failure on front or rear axle(not both) 5,6,7, or 8 you will maintain drive through the other axle.

Failure (not just a minor fault) on 1,2,3,or 4 will prevent drive

this is just the basics, as there are many minor and severe faults that will cause loss of drive :(