Transfer Box On Its Way Out

Ian M

i have a 90 with a 200tdi disco engine fitted, with a 90 lt77 g/box and a lt230 t/box

im getting the impression the t/box is on its way out!

what i was was wondering is, will a later r380 g/box and t/box fit? if so is there anything else i will need to change?

only if the R380 is the short shaft version, you can just swap the transferbox for your existing one, & if it's a Discovery TB you may find it has the 1.2:! ratio gears on the high range side.

so what has the short shaft r380 fitted?

i didnt think a discovery t/box will fit cuz of the gearstick and trans stick being the wrong way around?

The short shaft R380 was a retro fit box for earlier engines and are rare from LR (had one in my 1984 ex BAe 110), Ashcrofts apparantly will sell you one. A normal R380 is no good to you as the bellhousing is too long.

Any LT230 will fit as the levers and rods actually sit on the top/side of the gearbox.

I'm putting a recon LT230 on mine tomorrow only because I'm doing gearbox as well (5th gear squawking like a demented budgie). The tbox has a rattle on overrun which I would otherwise live with but as it's coming out anyway I'm doing both with Ashcroft recons.

can anyone confirm if these are my original boxes and not disco ones

13d040551a transfer box

50a0086392d gearbox

If you go to Ashcroft transmissions website they give a full breakdown of what prefix boxes were fitted to what.

The RR/Disco end case is different to the defender one and will not accept a defender shift linkage without swapping the end case. That's quite involved, I'd just get a recon LT77 from Ashcrofts as there's not a lot in it.

More play on the front end would suggest front axle not LT230. :huh:

Just put Ashcroft R380 and Tbox in my 110. Had a squawking 5th gear and a rattle in the Tbox. Shocked at the transformation, driving a vehicle everyday you don't notice the deterioration in the boxes creeping up on you. It's a totally different drive now, no low background vibration, rattles etc. Money well spent.

Just put Ashcroft R380 and Tbox in my 110. Had a squawking 5th gear and a rattle in the Tbox. Shocked at the transformation, driving a vehicle everyday you don't notice the deterioration in the boxes creeping up on you. It's a totally different drive now, no low background vibration, rattles etc. Money well spent.

yeah i have to agree, i changed my boxes last week for recon ones be it used ones, as you say cant belive how bad the old one had got. you just dont notice to it gets realy bad.

Ian the correct T-box for a tdi 90 should have 22d as part of the number, so look out for that if you want to fit the correct gearing for your truck.

but according to ashcrofts a 13d is also 1.410 so is the correct ratio for your truck