Peter and The Ground Anchor

Peter

what is the problem with peter saying that he brought a ground anchor and broke it

i bet if it was orange it would of been diffrent

also what would have happened if the ground anchor broke causing injury or damage to the motor as it

was possible a prototype with a design fault that shouldnt of being sold.

If it were orange you'd expect it

other than that Peter got hold of this one on the cheap not from X eng direct but still they warranty it and offer refund/replacement

Ask Nick Walker about his ground anchor

it bent he had to pay for a replacement no refund/warranty. from another offroad company

never seen any where that advises to hang your car into a position of danger off a ground anchor have you? it isn't a Oak tree that has been there for 100years it is a device to help drag a car out of a predicament when no other alternative point is available to fix a winch to.

If you or Peter or anyone hangs your car/your life from a ground anchor then that is your choice.

what next blame the rope if you snap it?

Do you think it is ok to accept a replacement/refund in good faith then run onto the internet with your picture with no mention of the refund/replacement details?

not a scrapiron devotee are you? there are a fair few who like orange and don't mind the carp ethics that represents.

this place is fair minded/ethical pity some of the users of it aren't

i bet if it was orange it would of been diffrent

Yeah, they wouldn't have replaced it :lol:

Seriously, though, I don't know of any spade type ground anchor on the market that hasn't been broken. It's a testament to the designer that he is willing to take feedback and also offer a replacement. Most retailers will tell you quite bluntly that it's your fault if you break an anchor because, let's face it, the stresses you can build up in a ground anchor are huge particularly in the heat of a competition when you may be less careful than you should be about where you set the anchor.

Edited to add - Tony got there first.

Well cheers for all the help and advice on this, although this has turned into rather ammusing reading :P

think i am gonna go for the x eng purely for the weight issue. although i am tempted to have a crack at building my own.

but like all these things it's down to time and if i really will get round to doing it or not so looks like i have just gotta wait for the new batch of x eng ones to come in if their not already.

Well said Tony. When I bent my KG blade as pictured above, I fully accept that it probably/likely hit a submerged rock which puts point stresses on the thing which it wasn't intended to cope with. Not sure what excuse I can use for bending all the other bits, but thats why the spade bent. It's a bit like letting a LR door go in a strong wind and trying to claim it on warranty because the check strap broke and the door got folded in half (yes it has happened before!!!)

It's a bit like letting a LR door go in a strong wind and trying to claim it on warranty because the check strap broke and the door got folded in half (yes it has happened before!!!)

did you get a new door on warranty then? maybe one to try if X-Eng start doing doors.....

'Hi Simon, about your X-Doors, well i bent one when the vehicle slid into a rock, there was nothing in the fitting instructions about the dangers of driving on wet rocks and thats what i slid on, hence the bent door, so what you gonna do......'

'No problem, heres another one FOC, i will drop it around and fit it for you today is that OK?'

'ohhhh i dont know really, i really liked that old door............'

no i am not a scrap iron devotee i have never brought anything from them

but if a all these ground anchors are breaking (all makes) then there is a common design fault and they are not fit for purpose.

if the rope breaks becasue a supplier has sold you a rope which is not strong enogh for your car then yes you would blame the supplier.

it was good of simon to offer a replacment but i still dont see whats wrong with telling people youo broke one there is another thread on here about glyn lewis suspension so why can people comment on his stuff but not x-eng

and no i havent brought anything from glyn

Everyone deserves a fair go

but not Scrapiron as they muddied their own waters.

I haven't seen the Glynn Lewis thread where is it?

There have been other problems from kit from suppliers it is they way they treat you after the money has been banked that matters.

If you get good after service why then run to the internet to show off what you have managed to break? especially when it wasn't even

purchased from the supplier but a third party cheaply.

As for ropes that is just not right in my opinion

I have different brands of rope on my winches and have broken both should I ask fro a refund/replacement? No as I broke them at events

this country is going down the pan with a blame culture/compensation craziness.

did you get a new door on warranty then? maybe one to try if X-Eng start doing doors.....

No they didn't get a new door!

I was on the receiving end of the enquiry not the person that asked the question, if you know what I do for a day job you will understand.

Well my 90 appears o be dented all over!

obviously a design flaw

I'll take it back to L/R for a FOC replacement this am

I'll report back on how I get on.

Ps I will only accept a TDi and will post pics of the old one before they remove it at their cost.

Well my 90 appears o be dented all over!

obviously a design flaw

I'll take it back to L/R for a FOC replacement this am

I'll report back on how I get on.

Ps I will only accept a TDi and will post pics of the old one before they remove it at their cost.

Tony, can I take one too as mine is no longer fit for purpose? Nothing to do with me, of course, just one day I came down stairs and it was all in peices - it must be a design flaw.

v8bowler, you know what they say about bad workmen and their tools....

was your land rover designed to drive in to trees, banks or bad driving etc and not to be damaged no it wasnt and how is your land rover as peter said he broke it on the third time of use.

was a ground anchor designed to grip in to the ground and have a landrover winch it self out yes thats the difference something breaking while being used for what it was meant for.

will was your car designed to be taken apart and left in a pile of bits ?

Peter hasn't said as yet how he broke it though has he?

O look, some one else is asking for facts!

I just googled lr4x4 and this is the result: LR4x4 is a friendly independent Land Rover enthusiasts forum. Get help, share ideas find out what others are doing with their trucks.

If I were a stranger, new to the scene and I would be reading the groundanchor thread, i would be pi**ing myself laughing.

daan

I would hope that anyone new to the scene may read a few more of the posts to Daan.

then again you could look at other L/R forums where sod all is typed about L/Rs just loads of guff about nothing.

lack of spammers/independence from Magazine input.

And still waiting on the facts of the said broken Anchor.

I would hope that anyone new to the scene may read a few more of the posts to Daan.

then again you could look at other L/R forums where sod all is typed about L/Rs just loads of guff about nothing.

lack of spammers/independence from Magazine input.

And still waiting on the facts of the said broken Anchor.

Point taken, but were having a picture of a broken anchor, followed by 2 pages of people shouting at each other, but nobody really knows what happened.

Daan

So what if I buy something and it breaks, and its of interest to fellow user, I'll post it on here - least I have not posted the pics of my now removed xbrake

Ground anchor aside.......................... the above is what interested me .............. how the hell do you break one of those without severe abuse ? :o

:)

Ian

Point taken, but were having a picture of a broken anchor, followed by 2 pages of people shouting at each other, but nobody really knows what happened.

Daan

Indeed and in the absence of facts regarding the incident in question I'm starting to wonder if there is much point in keeping this thread open.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I dug up this thread folowing the ultimate challenge last weekend; I bought one of the x-engineering new groundanchors and used it countless times for 3 days. I was very impressed with how well it managed to dig in and allow me to winch out. We gave it some serious abuse(a PTO winch doesnt stop) , but no bother.

I can recommend this groundanchor to anyone. It is light, strong and very reasonably priced.

Daan

Can not say better than that.

If you managed to get that to hold at Cradle rock Grass then it did very well B) Ask poor old Alan :( (Hope you get well soon)

I believe this is a later spec one than the unit Peter found in his ownership, proving that development works.

Good product review.

Jim