what size tyre and what sort

yogibear47.lee

Hi,

If you are doing mainly offroading with little road work you can consider the insa turbo special track, but is very agressive and noisy on the road and you can start to break things if you are a little heavy footed. The other tyre is the insa turbo dakar, this is the copy of the bf goodrich mud terrain, and a very good all round tyre that performs well on and offroad. Both of these tyres are remoulds, so they are cheap around £220 for 4, shop around and they will be cheaper. Another tyre that also, is a remould and performs well is the greenway macho which is a little more agressive than the bfg pattern but still acceptable on the road. They are around £180 for 4. In terms of size you could go for the same size as you have got or 235/70r16 which works out as the same height but slightly wider, it won't rub on articulation you just may have to alter your steering stops very slightly, also they will be a more desirable size to sell on in the future maybe?

Why do you want to stick to 205? You can fit slightly bigger tyres without any trouble and ground clearance is a big factor off-road. I'd put the tallest set you can comfortably get away with on there.

A lot of guys are running Machos here and they're very good, especially for the money.

I know someone who has put 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer STT's on his standard Disco with no lift-he fitted longer bumpstops and adjusted the steering stops and trimmed a little off the rear arches but they dont seem to cause him much trouble.

I run 235/85/16 Discoverer STT's but I have a 40mm lift front and 50mm lift rear. They are excellent off road and very sensible and quiet on road. But they do cost a bit(appx £105 each)

Colway MT or AT are good BFG copys and fairly cheap even for remoulds.

Insa turbo are good too I have a sahara as av spare, never yused it but it looks the nuts!!!

firemannotsam

I found that an excellent size compromise on a non-lifted vehicle was 245/75. Taller than standard, so a bit of extra clearance under the diffs, but no so tall as to raise the gearing too much (about 6% as opposed to 10-11% with 235/85). They required no mods to suspension or bump stops and only needed a very small trim of the rear wings to clear on full articulation. I ran these size tyres for over 5 years on my DI (BFG Trac Edges in my case, sadly NLA) with no porblems at all.

There are details of the slight arch trimming on my website.

If you want to figure out what different tyre sizes will do to your speedo reading and overall gearing, here is a nice tyre size calculator.

If the std disco tyre is a 235/70 then 245/75s will put your speedo out by 5%. With 235/85s it is 10% out.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

...... I have 5 x 285/75/16 sat in the garage looking for a home if you really want some lift (and a little bit of work to make them fit)......

will they fit a discovery

I have fitted 265/75/16 for a short time and they only just cleared standard arches

I removed them due to they screwed the gearing