Drill size?

LR90

As per title really. I want to tap a couple of holes in the windscreen frame to remout the snorkel. Best I can tell in the dark the bolts are M6x1.5 (10mm heads and currently into rivnuts).

Found a tap but need to know what size to drill the hole out first? Metric and imperial equivs might be good as I may not have much to choose from.

Thanks.

As per title really. I want to tap a couple of holes in the windscreen frame to remout the snorkel. Best I can tell in the dark the bolts are M6x1.5 (10mm heads and currently into rivnuts).

Found a tap but need to know what size to drill the hole out first? Metric and imperial equivs might be good as I may not have much to choose from.

Thanks.

5mm bit for 6mm bolt

M6 x 1.5mm? M6 course is 1mm pitch (5mm dia tapping drill (Zeus guide))

Lets see <checks site on net>

M6 fine I have as 0.75mm pitch, metric special doesn't cover M6 from what I can find, however lets see what there is as 1/4 x 17 TPI.... nope you got me beat :)

Best I can tell in the dark the bolts are M6x1.5

So I could well be wrong :) Maybe its M6 x 1 but whatever it seems to mesh ok with the tap I have. Don't think its fine.

So is there a metric equiv for 5mm. Could I use 3/16 and give it a bit of a wiggle?

So is there a metric equiv for 5mm. Could I use 3/16 and give it a bit of a wiggle?

Metric for 5mm - try 5.0mm or 0.5cm :P

You telling me you don't own a 5mm drill !!

If the thickness to be tapped wasn't too thick, I'd just lube up the tap well after the 3/16 drill.

Thanks everyone :)

Given I've now opened a bottle of wine and started cooking I think this will have to wait for another day which gives me time to get the right drill bit.

Moglite, I'm a series/imperial man at heart ;)

Trev, If you're really into imperial then my drilling tapping guide lists 13/64" alongside the preferred drill size of 5.1mm with 5mm as an alternative size. This is for 6mm ISO coarse 1mm pitch . No listing for any other 6mm pitch so uncommon. Be aware that 1/4 inch UNC is fairly close, listed as 20 TPI which is about 1.2mm pitch & has a recommended drill size of 5.2mm or 13/64". Time to invest in a Metric/Imperial thread guage set. Even decent quality ones are not v expensive, I've had a Mitutoyo set for yonks, with that & a drilling tapping chart that you should be able to pick up for next to SFA from any engineers supplies the whole thing is totally demystified. HTH, ;)

Cheers, Steve.

Trev, If you're really into imperial then my drilling tapping guide lists 13/64" alongside the preferred drill size of 5.1mm with 5mm as an alternative size. This is for 6mm ISO coarse 1mm pitch . No listing for any other 6mm pitch so uncommon. Be aware that 1/4 inch UNC is fairly close, listed as 20 TPI which is about 1.2mm pitch & has a recommended drill size of 5.2mm or 13/64". Time to invest in a Metric/Imperial thread guage set. Even decent quality ones are not v expensive, I've had a Mitutoyo set for yonks, with that & a drilling tapping chart that you should be able to pick up for next to SFA from any engineers supplies the whole thing is totally demystified. HTH, ;)

Cheers, Steve.

Cheers Steve. I've got a metric thread cage (with the taps/dies) but it was a bit dark to read it.

I might have a 13/64 but if not I guess its time to go buy some metric drills.

Well got out there this morning and managed with a 3/16"

Snorkel now nicely attached though the screen frame is beginning to look like swiss cheese with all the holes in it.

Manged not to fall of the frost covered bonnet too so that's a bonus.

Perhaps a bit too late, but "don't attach your snorkel like that". I could show you several windscreen frames that attest to the same thing... Mr Snorkel meets Mr Tree and then Mr Autoglass gets a phonecall...

Mr Snorkel has met Mr Tree on several occasions and worse (well that was the old one, now replaced by a Southdown unit).

But.... how tell me a better way to do it. Always happy to learn :)

Ah, no roll bar and with the old snorkel I did this when I had to winch it out while it was still resting on its side with motor running to provide lights and battery power.

snorkel.jpg

Worse still the mud got sucked into the air filter and I later ended up having to replace the engine.

More recently on the Slindon event we even took it off at one point to avoid it being torn off by the trees.

At least now the Southdown is inboard of the panels and screen edge.

But.... how tell me a better way to do it. Always happy to learn :)

Well, I've mounted mine inboard of the cage :P but I've seen sensible solutions bridging from the wing/bulkhead straight up to the gutter. Otherwise, use really tiny bolts made of cheese so they break first. Obviously you don't want it to drop off on the road, so use strong cheese, like Stilton. :huh:

Otherwise, use really tiny bolts made of cheese so they break first. Obviously you don't want it to drop off on the road, so use strong cheese, like Stilton. :huh:

That's a good idea :lol: don't worry I am not about to suggest Scottish mature (for older people) or anything like that but it reminded me of a guy who used to have his Rangie wings secured by plastic number plate bolts.

You can get them in packs from either Beals or most decent motor factors, they will be easy to drill out if they get broken, won't rust and they are black :D what more can I say :lol: