Disco Series 1 - Common Leak points

Mark

OK,

I have a Series 1 Disco, and most of the floor matting is pretty wet. I know the rear floor has rotted out in several places, and I know there are one or two (!) rusty bits on the floor areas. These are going to get fixed, but if I don't want them to happen again, how do I minimise* the water entry into the vehicle?

There must be some common areas that always leak, can anyone point me in their direction, and the best way to cure the leaks?

Thanks

Mark

*Minimise - It's a Land Rover, it's going to leak!

Rear alpine lights......

Remove, clean or replace seals, refit, and apply sealer as well...

Also in the car, remove the door trim panels and check out the plastic water covers on the panel.

The door area is a "wet area" and rain can run off the window onto the inside of the door.

Any splits in that plastic, means water runs inside the door trim and onto the sill carpet.

Seal with gaffer tape or masking tape. ;)

The water comes through the body joint not the windows

the gutter trim has a taped joint underneath the black plastic

seal under this plastic and below the gutter where the rear quarter joins it.

Pauls water ingress manual is ideal and worth looking at and has now been added to the Tech Archive

Edited by white90

I found my drivers footwell soaked thru a few weeks ago, just after the autumn rains started!

sealed the gutters with silly cone sealant - not pretty but does the job!

carpets not drying out so investigated further.

found that water was getting in at the top of the front wing.

temporary measure was to get a can of waxoyl from halfrauds and sprayed everything in site.

one tip is to removed the small plastic shield at the top of the front wing. makes it easier to get a good spray of wax in there.

now have nice dry carpets!!!

Also found true LR build quality trying to get the front wing off.

a job much easier than i thought it was going to be!

anyhoo trying to remove the top bolt of the wing, accessed when the door is open, it was just spinning.

turns out whoever put it in didn't let go of the trigger on his windy gun soon enough and had stripped the bolt threads. much levering with a screwdrive got it out tho'

clunk

The water comes through the body joint not the windows

the gutter trim has a taped joint underneath the black plastic

seal under this plastic and below the gutter where the rear quarter joins it.

Pauls water ingress manual is ideal and worth looking at and has now been added to the Tech Archive

Mine came in through both! :o

Sunroof leaked too, but a tube of silicone fixed that. Bit warm in summer though :huh:

My favourite memory of Disco ownership was the way i'd go downhill and the water would run from inside the headlining onto the sunvisor and drip on the dash pod and my leg!

:lol: those were t' days :lol:

Thankfully, I havn't got any sunroofs in my disco, but I am pretty sure I have all the gutter issues!

At the moment it is not a problem as there is not enough of the floor left to hold the water in.... :blink:

Mark

• 1 month later...