Bearmach Strengthen steering bars

Jon W

Having bent my track rod at severn sisters yesterday :o and am only staying a few minutes from a bearmach outlet in cardiff, i was wondering if these are as good as Sumo bars or dan bars. They come with greaseable joints etc, but am not sure on price yet.

Any experiences much appreciated as need to know by tonight when i travel home. If not ill winch mine back a bit straighter and drive home.

Jon

i would go for a Southdown full axle guard and protect the axle/diff as well.

but then a beramach bar has to be stronger than std.

but also consider how much off roading you have done and never had the trouble! straighten it and carry on.

good to catch up yesterday,

Hate to disagree with you JST, but the Southdown axle guard is a bit of a liability as it seriously compromises ground clearance and ends up acting like a skid and lifts the front axle off the ground.

I had one when I first started off roading as I thought it would be great for protecting the track rod and stearing damper (which it is excellent at) but got fed up with it hindering forward movement.

I sold it on and fitted Sumo bars and a QT diff guard and relocated the steering damper.

As for the original question, I've no idea, sorry :ph34r::o just be careful if you straighten your existing track rod as it will be very weak and the last thing you want is your front wheels deciding to go in different directions on the motorway!

Good luck.

James, thats what i am trying to decide, as it has never been a problem so far, just a lapse of concentration and it all goes a bit pear shaped.

Was good to see you yesterday and a shame we didnt see more of the site, but maybe next time. I survived and didn't get too much of a grilling from Emma, although she was pretty bored by the end, at least it wasnt raining!

Cheers

Jon

The Bearmach ones are excellent (use them my self)

Be aware of bars with a wrestler in its name (they bend)

Also saw some bent dan bars for the first time the other week (usally bullet proof)

I do disagree with JST, Southdown is bullet proof but you won't drive anywhere with it.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jim :)

Ps: (Plug mode on)carry dan bars and bearmach rods on the shelf (Plug mode off) :P

Edited by D9OSV

horses for courses.

i started greenlaning without anything went upto a Southdown guard, rmeoved it when i kept grounding out as it reduced clearence, then refitted it as things got bent. yes i do loose some axle clearence. and in wet conditions it helps create a suction with the mud which can cause problems.

Although on the flip side i know the front end is protected and i can use a little more speed if required and attck rock sections safe in the knowldedge that nothing will bend.

Overall protection i feel is greater although you do loose clearence and could therefore find it a limiting factor in trying to get to your objective.

as i said

horses for courses.

Right well still not decided, do i just replace it with standard as the last one managed 4 years or more of off. So while im replacing it do i get strengthend bars, if so which ones? Or standard bar and a track rod protector. So what does everyone think standard, uprated, or protection such as track rod protector or steering guard. Undecided so any opinions welcomed. Also prices etc would be good.

Thanks

Jon

I like my Dan Bars, despite having snapped the end of a track rod.

Ruperts Rods are probably the strongest fo the lot but they do marmalise track rod ends.

It's all much of a muchness - as JST says, you learn to drive with the Southdown plate and how to overcome it's drawbacks. If I ran taller tyres I would fit one as it is bullet proof.

Someone was telling me - might have been V8Camel about using a Diahatsu track rod - but we had been drinking!

I like my Dan Bars, despite having snapped the end of a track rod.

Ruperts Rods are probably the strongest fo the lot but they do marmalise track rod ends.

It's all much of a muchness - as JST says, you learn to drive with the Southdown plate and how to overcome it's drawbacks. If I ran taller tyres I would fit one as it is bullet proof.

Someone was telling me - might have been V8Camel about using a Diahatsu track rod - but we had been drinking!

diahatsu track rod ends are for 101 track rods . cost about 16 squids. 101's cost 80 squids. just need a cone drill ( about 20 from screwfix) to slightly enlarge the hole in the casting on the swivel.