CD Player - MP3

Badger_1

My son recently told me that you can get quite a lot of albums on a DVD in MP3 format.

Great I thought I only need one disc in my car then.

Now after looking around I notice most MP3 players only play cd's which wont hold that many albums. I have seen one that states it reads DVDs so I'm guessing this will do the job. Can anyone confirm I'm thinking correctly?

Next query is that if I put a DVD in the head unit with about 30 albums on it, will it display the albums on the small display panel and let me choose which album to play or will I need some sort of display screen to plug into it as an attachment. (I dont want to watch DVD movies on it in the car just listen to music)

You can get both, I have a CD MP3 player which you can get about 10 or more albums on, and I find that is enough for even a very long journey!

DVD ones are more expensive, my CD unit is JVC and only cost about £70, all the DVD ones were £200 or more.

They work like a normal CD player, or an imaginary CD multi-changer. You put the disc in and it plays the first MP3 it finds, usually in the first folder it finds, and works through. You can skip tracks, or skip folders (if you put one album per folder it makes life easier) just like skipping a disc with a CD changer.

DVD ones work the same too, but a lot of them have screens for playing video and some have the controls on the screen more like a PC.

You probabily know this, but please note: the audio controls on the steering wheel (if you have ones...) will NOT work with the new units, either CD or DVD. I have a Visteon CD player, I wanted to replace it with a MP3 but I found nothing compatible. Eventually I found in the Netherlands an interface which provides an auxiliary input, so I can connect any player (eg an iPod) to the existing unit. I'll install it soon and let you know.

You could always buy a normal ipod which are becoming reasonably cheap now, especially second hand. Then get an fm transmitter like

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/uk...ories/car_audio

for £34 or £50 for a good one. Then you can leave the original stereo in its place and not have a really expensive nickable device on display every time you walk away from your landie ;)

The fm transmitter sends the tunes from your ipod through your stereo as if you were recieving a radio broadcast.

My suggestion would be to forget DVD's, get a head unit with a USB input into it and put everything on a USB memory stick in MP3 format. You can buy no-name 2GB or 4GB memory sticks for silly money now (check out Novatech) and fit quite a lot of music on them - I have a 2GB stick which has about 10 albums on it and it isn't full. Track/folder skipping is much like Fridge described above.

You probabily know this, but please note: the audio controls on the steering wheel (if you have ones...) will NOT work with the new units, either CD or DVD. I have a Visteon CD player, I wanted to replace it with a MP3 but I found nothing compatible. Eventually I found in the Netherlands an interface which provides an auxiliary input, so I can connect any player (eg an iPod) to the existing unit. I'll install it soon and let you know.

You can get apparently get some interface adaptors (mainly for certain Sony headunits) that allow use on the instrument binnacle switches etc. Have a look here

Neil

You can, I fitted a pug/pioneer interface to the girlfriend's 306.

I don't know if an interface is available for a freelander though.

The CD player i fitted for her has got built-in Bluetooth for handsfree, and will stream music off a bluetooth enabled device, be that a phone or laptop - very cool :)

Thanks for the advice guys, Due to the reported costs and the time spent reading a dvd disc loaded with albums (as advised here) perhaps this isnt the way to go then.

I have seen cd mp3 players that state usb port much cheaper and as I already have a usb memory stick that I dont use perhaps this is the cheapest way for me to go.

Great advice guys thanks to you all.

I have just fitted an LG unit to the wifes car it reads mp3 cds and has input for ipod , but hte best thing is it only cost £69.99 at the mow at halfords

I'm a bit of a dinasour when it comes to technology. Are these ipods a modern day tape recorder that you store songs on then presumably by means of a lead get them to play through the cd player?

If yes doesn't the wire get in the way and doesnt it keep sliding of the dash board (or do you just leave it on the floor)

I'm a bit of a dinasour when it comes to technology. Are these ipods a modern day tape recorder that you store songs on then presumably by means of a lead get them to play through the cd player?

If yes doesn't the wire get in the way and doesnt it keep sliding of the dash board (or do you just leave it on the floor)

Ipods are solid state or hard drive MP3 players made by Apple. They have loads of storage and you can download music from the internet from Itunes.

I use a fairly cheap Sony MP3 player, the NW-E407. It is old but holds 600 tracks (1 gigabyte capacity), lasts 50 hours on one charge and is only the size of a small cig lighter. I will get a newer one sometime as I have lost the software for it.

Anyhow, I made a descrete clip for it on the edge of the dashboard that holds it where I can both see the display and adjust the controls easily. It is plugged into a little FM transmitter which is tucked away in the dash and powered by a cig lighter socket. I set the transmitter to a frequency that isn't used for radio in my area and then tuned a radio preset to pick it up.

The transmitter is automatic as it will switch off if it dosen't get any audio signal but switches on again when it does. The audio lead is tucked into the dash panels and reappears where the clip for the Sony is for plugging in so the installation is reall neat.

When I want to listen to my own music I just press play on the Sony and the appropriate preset on the radio and there it is.

One day I will try a convoy and see if vehicles in front and behind can also listen to my music by tuning in to the same frequency.

I got one from Aldi for £40 (i think they`re even cheaper now) it plays MP3 cd`s , it also has a card port for a SD card and a jack for an i-pod. It comes with the plug thingy to fit straight to you audio plug. You will lose the steering wheel control though. But a great bargain i`ve had mine for over 2 years.

Foxminer.

cd mp3 head units work well enough, but usb is definately a good idea, i like the bluetooth head units that you can hook up to a mic and use as a handsfree like in really flash motors :D

Also you can se the stick controls, you just need to find the right adapter, this is easiest done if you stick to big name brands.

Well got this sorted now. MP3 player from argos for £49.99 with a USB port and a 4gb memory stick off ebay for 13.49.

All the cds can now go in the bin and the glovebox can go back to serving its original purpose - containing jelly babies.

Thanks for the info and advice guys.