A couple of typical Range Rover rust repairs

FridgeFreezer

I thought this may help others with similarly rusty vehicles.

Our subject is Dad's Range Rover, an off-road toy that never gets washed and surprisingly then failed its MOT on rust. Initially I was a bit concerned about how to make a decent shaped repair section for the C pillar but it came out pretty well and I wasn't being particularly fussy as the vehicle doesn't warrant it. Obviously you are welcome to make a better job of yours :P

So, starting with the one I have more photos of, a classic RR rust point, the C-pillar to wheelarch:

web_IMG_0299.JPG

And the base of the wheelarch too:

web_IMG_0298.JPG

A tickle with the wire wheel in the grinder reveals a bit more than was apparent:

web_IMG_0307.JPG

web_IMG_0305.JPG

Cut away the crud, going for square edges makes sticking in a new bit easier:

web_IMG_0314.JPG

web_IMG_0313.JPG

Weld some new bits in - repair bits were a flat plate along the bottom and then a strip bent to be as close to the not-quite-square profile of the door pillar. Wheel arch repair panel was a flat plate with a slight bend courtesy of being thwacked over the drum of my H14 :lol: It's not the prettiest ever welding but it should hold.

web_IMG_0315.JPG

web_IMG_0317.JPG

Grind some of the least pretty bits back and then paint, and it looks a bit more presentable:

web_IMG_0321.JPG

web_IMG_0322.JPG

Next was a small hole on the inner wing - or so it seemed. A good tickle with the wire brush in the grinder and then cutting out all the rusty metal actually resulted in this little gap to be filled:

web_IMG_0279.JPG

And similar in the battery box end:

web_IMG_0280.JPG

A little bit of cutty-weldy later and it's a bit better:

web_IMG_0284.JPG

• 3 years later...

Great thread. I'm just going through all this myself. Mine has been sat for 7 years growing an ivy bush in and around the rear of the car so the whole of the boot floor is shot! What thickness sheet metal did you use for the repairs? Did it go through the mot ok after the repairs? You fancy doing mine for me? :-) haha

• 3 months later...