O/T BT Con Artists

Guest WALFY

It's a bit off topic but I want to change from Virgin to Sky. I have all 3 with Virgin at the moment. TV/Internet/Phone. To go to Sky I need a BT line for the phone and internet. But as there is no BT line into my flat they want 120 quid. I know Sky is good but it's nt that good I need to spend that sort of money.

Sorry rant over

Same here. You have to go to BT and then Sky take over the line so you deal with them not BT.

Virgin is beginning to freeze every now and again, sound just goes off. After you change channel and go back the sound is OK.

Tony

Not tightfisted just gobsmacked that they can charge so much. When I had my first Army house they ran a line in for free. Yes it was in 1998 but should it be so expensive now.

Now if I knew a BT employee perhaps they could pull some strings or even pop round and put the line in for me ;);) . I'll pay with coffee and hobnobs.

Speak your mind. Remember it is a free forum and you are entitled to your opinion :P

I could install it with ease but as I have no Van/materials it may be a tad difficult.

£120 is set fee AFAIK be it 10mts of drop wire or 500mts and a few poles.

the joys of working outside are long in the past for me 10years ago now

still it may all change in the near future...

Plastering by TC may be my new line of work

Walfy - that's called competiton. The reason most stuff costs so much is all the other companies out there complain to the regulator if BT unfairly uses its size to offer things too cheaply. :rolleyes: If BT were allowed to do it they'd happily give everyone free calls and much lower rental and run the rest into the ground, but of course that would be unfair.

And these days there's very little string-pulling as it would be OpenReach who install your line, whereas for example I work for BT Operate and we can't cross the boundaries due to regulatory terms.

This also means OpenReach have to charge Operate for installing the line, and Operate then have to wholesale the line plus the service to Virgin for a set (and fair) price so they can sell it to you.

Still, it's all good for the consumer, as I'm sure you can see :rolleyes:

If you are looking for a new BB provider, have a look at this website .

You will still need a BT line for most, so you are going to have to swallow the £120 for installation.

Check out Zen and Entanet. Not the cheapest, but service, reliability etc are v good.

If you are after more, then I can't help you.

Martin

I get everything through Virgin media as I will not have a BT phone line ever again.

Have you tried reporting the problem to Virgin. I have had nothing but good service from them. When my TV kept freezig they sent a chap out with a new box FOC and it's been fine since. Also when the muppets laying my new lawn cut through the phone cable they repaired the FOC too.

Options...

Change your mobile contract to a 3G one with inclusive data and minutes, spend £100 on a Freeview PVR and then ditch Sky and Virgin. The advantage with 3G is that you can take your BB connection out with you - did anyone say "in car PC"? :)

Do a deal with one of your neighbours to use their WiFi access point and share the cost of a 20MB Virgin line.

Do a deal with a neighbour to use the spare outputs on their satellite dish - most sky+ installations need 2 outputs but have 4 available.

Shut up and put up.

Chris

Walfers,

I would never use BT again, diabolical BB, diabolical customer service, absolutely awful ! Like Mark90, a new box cured the problems with freezing and crackling and sound loss on our Virgin box, two weeks later they rang up and gave us a Virgin + box FOC and left the old new one for me to wire to a room upstairs :)

Mo

Options...

Change your mobile contract to a 3G one with inclusive data and minutes, spend £100 on a Freeview PVR and then ditch Sky and Virgin. The advantage with 3G is that you can take your BB connection out with you - did anyone say "in car PC"? :)

Do a deal with one of your neighbours to use their WiFi access point and share the cost of a 20MB Virgin line.

Do a deal with a neighbour to use the spare outputs on their satellite dish - most sky+ installations need 2 outputs but have 4 available.

Shut up and put up.

Chris

Chris

In the block of 6 flats where I live only 2 are occupied. Me on the top floor and 1 on the bottom floor. Will try calling about the freezing problem. I have a 3G phone, but didn't get the incl data perhaps I can add that on.

I don't expect BT to install the line for free but the price they are charging is outrageous. Perhaps because of my job I've led a sheltered life with respects to consumerism. Sounds like I've a few changes to make to my lifestyle in preparation that I join the rank and file of civvy street in a couple of years

Chris

In the block of 6 flats where I live only 2 are occupied. Me on the top floor and 1 on the bottom floor. Will try calling about the freezing problem. I have a 3G phone, but didn't get the incl data perhaps I can add that on.

I don't expect BT to install the line for free but the price they are charging is outrageous. Perhaps because of my job I've led a sheltered life with respects to consumerism. Sounds like I've a few changes to make to my lifestyle in preparation that I join the rank and file of civvy street in a couple of years

Yup, you'll have to pay for everything !

Mo

UPDATE

Now it's daylight and I've had a good look at all the cables coming into my flat I the wife must of missed the BT line when I she looked lastnight. So have just called BT to explain that I do have a line in and would like it connected. Answer. OK that'll be 124 quid :o . It's because they need to connect a cable/flick a switch at the exchange. Now I have no sympathy for BT workers. With an hourly rate like that perhaps I should go and work for them.

So I'm even more of an unhappy bunny now.

Sorry rant over

When i First moved into a flat in Dover, the previous owner had changed his connection to NTL. Then when i moved in i had the BT line reconnected for free. I had to wait a week and it was done then because my flat mate had a contract with Orange we got broadband free as well. If they had told me I need to pay £124 I would of told them where to stick it.

Ignorance is bliss I guess :rolleyes:

Just because there's a bit of wire stapled to your wall does not mean it's connected all the way back to the exchange, there's a cross-connection at the top of the pole, a cross-connection at the nearest green box and probably through a couple more to establish a copper path back to the exchange, where the line also needs to be connected both to the PSTN equipment and broadband DSLAM, services configured on both, and the data processed & back-hauled to the relevant providers over fibre-optic.

It's such a rip-off :rolleyes:

Why not phone Fujitsu and ask them how much a Hub1000 DSLAM costs, I'll bet you couldn't buy your bit of it for £20 per month.

Perhaps I am ignorant in that sense but why not say that it'll be a max of 124 quid and then if it's only a switch to be flicked you get charged proportionately. That way I'd be happy.

Any way will now stick with Virgin for the forseeable future.

Sorry if I've upset you BT type persons :P