Best plug cap?

ThreeSheds

After spending too much on the MegaJolt (She sparked for the first time today :D :D :D :D :D :D ) I have turned my attention to the HT leads and in particular the plug caps - I certainly don't like the look of the old ones, and the Ford ones won't fit - so I was wondering - Which are the best plug caps for waterproofness and where can I get them? (Don't need suppressed since I am using carbon/silicone leads).

Any help would be appreciated :)

TwoSheds

(sorry if this has been covered, I had a search but couldn't find any details...)

Just thought, maybe this would be better in the Range Rover section? Please feel free to move it if so :)

Sorted!

Thanks for the replies - but I have discovered another option:

In spite of apparently being too big,I have found that I can, after all, use the Ford plug caps that I got with the EDIS coil packs :) These have a good solid engagement and a satisfying pop when removing them which makes me think that they form a pretty decent seal.

Thanks again.

TwoSheds

Kin Hell,

Did a big rabid dog do that or was it a p****d off Grizzly Bear :blink: ?

Nige

The Story:

November 2007: Heater blower Stops working

December 2007: Ebay Special 200w heater circa £15 - as much good as a chocolate teapot - nearly die / roll / run into / fall off ever thing as windows so misted up

January 2008: Oh bugger, 0.25 days to go, full weekend at KORC, mucho wading to be done resulting in steamed windows, I NEED A HEATER, leaves options:

1) Methodically remove all dashboard and additional components / wiring in a carefully logical manner, repair heater and reassemble in reverse of removal ;) - Time 4 hours of time which doesn't exist.

Or (method I chose)

Remove Dash Pod

Take Pry bar

Lever top half of dash from Drivers side through to handle retaining plate on passenger side

Angle grind stubborn areas of plastic trim - remove and discard top 3/4 piece of dash

Plug in Plasma cutter

Plasma cut heater fan area in a nice rectangular piece

Remove motor and fan - replace with known good components

replace prior removed rectangular section, hold in place with gaffer tape.

Hold any loose bits of dash assembly together with tie wraps

30mins later - go and enjoy off roading with the comfort of clear windows and a heater ;)

Cowboy, me? Naaaaaaa.

(oh and the car has been getting scrapped for the last six months, but the bugger keeps responding well to temporary fixes!)

(Or should that be scratched DVD :rolleyes: )

No - I am definitely of the vinyl generation! Although I still still seem to have a 15 year-old's mind ;)

I will go and have a look at the Hotwires tonight - I must admit that I have seen them before, but from memory I thought that they are in sealed boxes with little information on them - the sort of thing that you bought for a particular standard installation - and so had dismissed them since mine is anything but standard... I will have another look tonight.

Apologies for being the cause of exasperation, istruggle2gate11 ;)

Good 'bush mechanic' work there too!

TwoSheds

I will go and have a look at the Hotwires tonight - I must admit that I have seen them before, but from memory I thought that they are in sealed boxes with little information on them - the sort of thing that you bought for a particular standard installation - and so had dismissed them since mine is anything but standard... I will have another look tonight.

Im going to buy a second set soon , I could be wrong, but wonder if they are being phased out as the display shelf is getting much smaller at my Local store, they still have the ford adaptors available, which of course can be fitted to any make lead. The plug end fits really well also, it takes real effort to remove them.

I could be wrong, but wonder if they are being phased out as the display shelf is getting much smaller at my Local store...

I think you may be right - or if not then the makers should be looking for a new retailer!

At my store there were pitifully few of the longer lengths (one of each) in ratty taped up boxes and there was only one box (four off) of the Ford coilpack adapters. The information about them on the shelf was limited (which is why the boxes had been opened I suppose) but I worked out that - given a decent supplier - I could do the V8 for maybe £40 to £50 depending on lengths.

All in all I have decided to go with the cheapest option - to re-use the ford plug caps and coil pack adapters and to buy some silicone HT lead - which should cost me about £20 plus a few hours fiddling.

Somebody has invested some effort in these Hotwires, I like the modular concept and the quality looks good - does anyone know if anyone other than Halfords sell these things? Had a look on the web but just got an American site which appears to be a totally different but interesting variation: Nology Hotwires, and now I'm out of time... got to go to work

Twosheds

Still on this - I have 'reclaimed' all of the Ford plug caps and coil caps without incident. but am having trouble finding sold-by-the-metre 8mm silicone-insulated, carbon-cored HT lead. Vehicle Wiring Products only have 7mm, as do Auto Electrical Supplies but the Ford caps are designed for 8mm. I don't want to have to order it cut to lengths or with terminations or in vehicle sets - I just want about 6mtrs of lead. Any suggestions where I should go would be appreciated :unsure:

I know I am making a meal here, and to those getting bored by this I apologise - please ignore me :)

TwoSheds

Still on this - I have 'reclaimed' all of the Ford plug caps and coil caps without incident. but am having trouble finding sold-by-the-metre 8mm silicone-insulated, carbon-cored HT lead. Vehicle Wiring Products only have 7mm, as do Auto Electrical Supplies but the Ford caps are designed for 8mm. I don't want to have to order it cut to lengths or with terminations or in vehicle sets - I just want about 6mtrs of lead. Any suggestions where I should go would be appreciated :unsure:

I know I am making a meal here, and to those getting bored by this I apologise - please ignore me :)

TwoSheds

Perhaps you have a local retailer other than Halfords - Ive finally found the website - the number is listed at the bottom, perhaps they can help you? - Lemark Hotwires Here

And an alternative option here

Perhaps you have a local retailer other than Halfords - Ive finally found the website - the number is listed at the bottom, perhaps they can help you? - Lemark Hotwires Here

Thanks for that - as usual the sites concentrate on 'vehicle sets' but both look promising and I have banged-off a couple of email inquiries. I'll let you know how I get on...

Rog (another one) TwoSheds

I sent an email to both companies linked to above but strangely, got a reply from Fastlane Auto. They sounded very helpful and mentioned that they could do bespoke sets, or supply any components I wanted. The chap suggested that I call him to talk over what I wanted and so I did. Anyway - to cut a long story short, I got a bespoke, made to my measurements, assembled lead set using their own 8mm "Ferroflex® reactive core, silicone insulation, silicone sheath plus glass braid reinforcement" cable (like Magnecor perhaps?), new EDIS Mk1 coil caps and some very effective waterproof plug caps with each lead numbered at both ends:

fastlaneautoleads.jpg

And the cost? £41 delivered :) :) :)

They arrived 48hrs after I put the phone down and they are excellent.

I commend them to the house :)

TwoSheds

p.s. Maybe you are thinking 1 and 3 are a little long? Well that's my fault - the leads were delivered exactly to my requested dimensions.

I sent an email to both companies linked to above but strangely, got a reply from Fastlane Auto.

So that must be another trading name of the second link then?

I got a bespoke, made to my measurements, assembled lead set using their own 8mm "Ferroflex® reactive core, silicone insulation, silicone sheath plus glass braid reinforcement" cable (like Magnecor perhaps?), new EDIS Mk1 coil caps and some very effective waterproof plug caps with each lead numbered at both ends:

And the cost? £41 delivered :) :) :)

They arrived 36hrs after I put the phone down and they are excellent.

Excellent, what a result :D