balancing bead lock wheels

mutant 90

Never tried them but always fancied BBs as while I might (just) manage to change a tyre I'd have no chance of balancing a Simex at home. Seems a very positive response to the BBs. Might have to go and buy a bag (carton?) and try it for myself.

It took me a while to figure out what the 'BBs' they were on about were (ammunition pellets for air pistol). From the pic of the carton of 'Daisy' I thought they were filling their tyres with milk, wondered if in time all the churning about would turn it into creme / cheese and balance out the tyre nicely :lol:

Maybe it's just as well i don't post on Pirate... :o

Been looking at these BB's for a while. My Fedimas which are remoulds on bead lock rims dont shake at all but my boggers which are twice the price and a new tyre which you would think would be better shake the steering wheel out of your hand at certain speeds. I'd like to know if anyones tried it and if they worked too!

i know one guy who did it and it didnt work at all, but that could have always been another factor

strange you mention remoulded tyres. i have a set of firedragon MTs that i acquired for off road useage some time ago. stuffed them on some 8 spokes, no balancing, no nothing and no shaking, vibration or anything from them. in fact from about 45-50 upwards, theyre incredibly subdued in the audio stakes too!

Mine wobble at about 70mph but varies and becomes annoying.

but below 50mph you don't notice it

My mate was producing beadlocks for the mod but he didn't build mine but helped me put them together and overcome a few problems but he did say there was no point in trying to balance them. but I would like to try

I've found several UK sources for daisy BBs on ebay, not expensive, so I'm going to give it a go. Can't make it any worse, I swear I can feel the wheel bearings breaking up some days. Also surposed to help with the flat spot effect you get when the trucks been stood for a while.

Hey Steve

How's the hydro assist working out? Still trying to source a suitable ram for mine.

Cheers Dave :rolleyes:

Hey Steve

How's the hydro assist working out? Still trying to source a suitable ram for mine.

Cheers Dave :rolleyes:

Awesome, Ive had it on for a while now in various forms but this last build (on to top of the drop arm as in the other thread) is head and shoulders the best, It even drives tidy on the road now because you have a smooth, constant feel to the steering that reacts far quicker rather than the lumpy sort of double stage feeling that was there before due to the lost movement in the ram as the drag link flopped over before. As for ram if you know what dimensions you need you should be able to get one made up for about £70-80

Awesome, Ive had it on for a while now in various forms but this last build (on to top of the drop arm as in the other thread) is head and shoulders the best, It even drives tidy on the road now because you have a smooth, constant feel to the steering that reacts far quicker rather than the lumpy sort of double stage feeling that was there before due to the lost movement in the ram as the drag link flopped over before. As for ram if you know what dimensions you need you should be able to get one made up for about £70-80

May do that, as for dimensions the stroke of the ram I asume must be equal to or greater than the distance the end of the drop arm travels from lock to lock. Its choosing the size of the cylinder bore and rod diameter, to big and the ram will be to slow to react, to small it will lack power. what size is yours? if its not to personal a question.

Cheers Dave :unsure:

I don't know how much BB's are but I have just bought some Dynabeads which are ceramic (More info at www.innovativebalancing.com) at about £5 a corner from Scrapiron. I will be running double beadlock rims & creepy crawler tyres but unfortunately I'm not fitting them till next weekend so can't comment until then if they do the job though I will post the results.

Pete

I don't know how much BB's are but I have just bought some Dynabeads which are ceramic (More info at www.innovativebalancing.com) at about £5 a corner from Scrapiron. I will be running double beadlock rims & creepy crawler tyres but unfortunately I'm not fitting them till next weekend so can't comment until then if they do the job though I will post the results.

Pete

Interesting site, usefull chart showing different tyre sizes and how much weight to use. My 36" simex need 10 ounces each. I can buy enough BBs for £5 to do all five tyres. I will give it a go and report my findings

Cheers Dave :D

Mine wobble at about 70mph but varies and becomes annoying.

but below 50mph you don't notice it

My mate was producing beadlocks for the mod but he didn't build mine but helped me put them together and overcome a few problems but he did say there was no point in trying to balance them. but I would like to try

Funny that my Bead locks with the 44s are a little unnerving over 70mph as well :blink:

Well I've done it. Put 10 ounces of BBs [got them from a local sport shooting and hunting shop] into each of my tyres, took the wheel off,pulled out the valve, broke the inner bead [you don't want to take the bead lock ring off, all those nuts and bolts] and just poured them into the tyre. Pop the bead back on, stick the valve back in and reinflate, half hour job done. What do you know it seems to work, only driven home from work after fitting them this evening. First impressions are good, took it down the M5 flat out, no wobbles or vibes and the tyre noise seems less. I'm interested to see what its like in the morning, I get the flat spot effect after the trucks been stood over night and it usally takes a few miles to warm the tyres up.

Will let you know how it go's

I've been running with them for over a week, and it works, very noticable at speed, much smoother and no scarey moments. Even after off roading, drove home on sunday after playing in the mud, wheel rims caked in mud. Normally horrible to drive, hardly noticable.

Jules, two thoughts:

I run a '97 Hummer H1 as a work truck (like you do :blink: ). It has 37" Goodyears which had over 1kg of lead on one wheel to balance. We used the Equal Balancing Granules - also called 'Magic Sand' - about 200g in the bad wheel and it's excellent. Top speed without wobble is up from 50 mph to over 80 mph (On a trip to Germany, obviously ;) ).

When I bought my Landcruiser wheels for my Beadlocks the guy I bought them from was running 36" Michelin military tyres, which are a pig to balance. He is using Paint Ball Pellets - not the small ones, but the big 40g teflon ones. He reported that these are sogood he doesn't even get the post-play-day wobble when there's mud in the wheel. I'll be trying these in my Beadlock (with 37" Superswampers), so I'll report back.

Im amazed and dont quite believe it to be honest but a bag of beads in each front wheel has taken the truck from trying to rip the steering out of your hands at 40-50mph to a perfectly still steering wheel, Not even a shudder, better than ever!

I know what you mean Steve. Everyone I told what I was doing thought I was barking. I had my doubts, but it works really well, better than normal balancing wieghts, becasue they adapt to changes in the wheel and tyre. Beadlock rims will carry alot of mud, I was amazed how well it drove coming home last sunday after playing in the mud.

Cheers Dave :i-m_so_happy:

So good I've driven it to and from work all week and only got round to cleaning the mud out of the rims to day