Yorkshire Dales Greenlanes consultation....again

Kev Baldwin

Official Yorkshire Dales National PArk press release

New round of green lane consultation begins

Grassington, 5 February, 2008.

The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority begins the latest round of consultation on Friday (8 February) on proposals to restrict recreational motor vehicle access to eight ‘green lanes’.

The proposals for the ‘green lanes’ – routes that are unsurfaced – are the result of an extensive review of the National Park’s network of routes.

This began with a desktop exercise looking at all 102 routes which remained after the changes brought in by the Natural Environment and Rural Communities (NERC) Act.

In all, 28 have initially been identified as, potentially, being highly sensitive to recreational motor vehicle use. Fifteen have been looked at in detail so far and it is being proposed that eight of them could be made the subject of Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs), which would restrict their use by recreational motor vehicles.

Jon Avison, the YDNPA’s Head of Park Management, said: “The orders are being proposed for the purposes of preserving and conserving the benefits and the natural beauty of the areas through which these routes pass.

“A first round of consultation with land owners, parish councils and some other organisations has already taken place and the decision of the YDNPA’s Access Committee last month (January) was that the second round – which will enable other groups and individuals to comment – should begin.

“The comments received will be considered by the Committee and a decision on whether or not to make the TROs will then be made.”

The routes which would be affected by the proposed orders are:

· Gorbeck Road and Stockdale Lane between Settle and Malhamdale

· Foxup road between Horton-in-Ribblesdale and Foxup

· the Cam High Road between Far Gearstones and Cam Houses and a connecting route to Old Ings

· Street Gate near Malham Tarn to Arncliffe Cote

· Harber Scar Lane between Horton-in-Ribblesdale and High Green Field

· The High Way between Cotterdale and Hell Gill Bridge

Further information on the proposals can be found at www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/green_lane_management and the documents are available for public inspection during office hours at the YDNPA offices in Bainbridge and Grassington.

//ends//

The Yorks Dales Nat Park make no apologies for the fact they'd like a blanket ban on vehicular access to lanes in the Dales so the writing is on the wall with this one. They've been very canny in the way they manage TRO's in the past. They've closed all of the longer routes for starters. Rather than place a sign at the end of a lane detailing any TRO that may have currently in place, they went for the not-so temporary method of a carefully constructed limestone cairn carrying 'No Motor Vehicles', signs. The cairns are large enough to prevent any vehicle (4x4) by-passing them. And strangely, temporary bans seem to always become permanent bans....

Mind you, having done my share of driving, walking and MTB'ing in the area, I shudder when I see the sight of a battle ready 'off-road' convoy heading my way being lead by a 90 with a cross of St George flying from its roof. Doesn't exactly do our cause any favours :(

I shudder when I see the sight of a battle ready 'off-road' convoy heading my way being lead by a 90 with a cross of St George flying from its roof. Doesn't exactly do our cause any favours :(

It is a sad fact that some rogue elements, in combination with the antis and public perception are ultimately going to spoil it for all of us. :(

Chris

:angry: They haven't closed everything yet, but it will happen ! The Bobblies under Mr Bartholomews YDGLA association now hold sway on the access commitee and have a vowed intention of banning motorised use from all of the Dales.

Two of these routes are already under restrictions, no 4 x 4 can use Colsterdale to Hell Gill and it's been like that for a couple of years, but the bikers have ripped it to bits this winter ! the West end of the Cam Road is also TRO'd even before the "Claim" has been adjudicated on ! This anyway is being repaired for use as part of the National Pennine Bridleway scheme so that's lost anyway. You can still drive the "Highway" from Shaw Paddock, but I gather this route has been badly damaged by lack of restraint during all the wet weather, so likely to get TRO'd as well by the CC not the Park !

The problems here are three fold, lack of restraint in wet conditions, useage by large numbers due to it's proximity to Leeds Bradford and a well orchestrated Anti campaign helped by gleeful Press coverage of just about every occasion when illegal bikers have been stopped and fined etc.

Our major concern should be once YDNP have been able to impose these restrictions the other National Patks will follow, hopefully the Lakes will stay with their well known and well controlled Heirarchy of Trails system, but with their new Chief Exec having a "green agenda" I think we may lose that as well.

I shudder when I see the sight of a battle ready 'off-road' convoy heading my way being lead by a 90 with a cross of St George flying from its roof. Doesn't exactly do our cause any favours :(

I agree with you there Kev. We have the same problem round here. They go out in all weather, the wetter the better and don't keep to existing ruts creating about 5-6 sets of ruts across the width of the lane. Don't stop for horse riders, ignore voluntary TRO's, ignore TRO's etc etc

After the wet winter we had last year and this I fully expect to see blanket Oct-April TRO's coming in round here.

Cheers

Steve

So the closure of the lanes, as with many legal situations, only affects the law-abiding :(

Sadly yes.

Chatting to a guy I know not too long ago he told me he and big bunch of mates had been out in the Dales on their trail bikes. He mentioned they'd ridden Mastiles Lane. This is a well known long distance route across the Dales that was one of the first to get a TRO slapped on it a few years ago. It's never reopened. I've driven it once and that must be 20 years ago. It was like the Somme back then! I felt uncomfortable driving on it so I've never been back. I reminded the fella that there was a TRO on Mastiles to which he replied: 'Yeah I know. F *ck 'em. What are they going to do?'

The Yorks Dales has announced it's to ramp up policing of the lanes. Whether that'll stop matey boy and his pals who knows? What are the Police supposed to do? OK, you can stop a 4x4, but is one cop on a dirt bike supposed to pursue a dozen KTM's across the Yorkshire moors to issue tickets for having no rear lights or an undersized number plate?

NERCa really shafted us and its a small mercy that YDNP have at least gone for a consultation.

If we all stuck together (4x4 and bikes) we would have a louder shout and a bit more clout.

Ramblers, walkers, bobblies, red socks call em what you like, have so many members with spare time to pursue LA's which gives them power.

GLASS or CRAG are lucky to have a county rep.

The Yorks Dales has announced it's to ramp up policing of the lanes. Whether that'll stop matey boy and his pals who knows? What are the Police supposed to do? OK, you can stop a 4x4, but is one cop on a dirt bike supposed to pursue a dozen KTM's across the Yorkshire moors to issue tickets for having no rear lights or an undersized number plate?

CRAG are trying to initiate a Lane awareness day which is aimed at the above starting easter, might be to late for YDNP.

There is a thread on the forum somewhere.