Lots of room to fit things....so...

I had lots of nice gauges fitted to my moggy minor.......not so much for function, more to put some comfort lighting in the car in the dark :lol:.

Which left me thinking...........what gauges would it be useful to fit in my V8 truck, which types (electrical or mechanical), and does anyone have any nice web links....?

Cheers! :rolleyes:

I vote electrical.

With a V8 I would say the first stop is an oil pressure gauge.

Second is voltmeter simply because they're cheap and tell you a lot about what's going on.

Oil temp

An accurate water temperature gauge

Lambda if you've got a sensor

Likewise vacuum.

Many of mine are taken care of by MS / PalmLog:

DVC00008.JPG

So that covers everything except the oil really, and I suspect I can add that if I tried.

You actually have three choices.

Electrical. Electronic. Or mechanican.

Electrical gauges are very slow to react, especialy an oil pressure gauge.

I also much prefere a full face dial so I can see the needle move. Having said that apart from my water temperature gauge all other extra gauges are digital.

Not that most people will pay the price I did for mine.

mike

I've no idea - mine doesn't use any Land Rover parts :P

You may be able to get an OBD-II reader setup and you may be able to run it on a small laptop/PDA but that's speculation and I imagine the cost could be a bit steep. There are a few "open source" OBD projects on the net if you search round.

Strangely enough, my MS ECU can talk on a CAN bus so it would potentially work on very new cars.

The Madman stuff looks good but I assume that each sensor needs to be individually wired in.

I had my mind on something that could just be plugged into the ECU diagnostic socket (via PDA/laptop) and then get access to all the data that that already has. (There must be some benefit to that hunk of cabling under my seat!)

I will go surfing for an OBD interface but if anybody has any specific Td5 tip here then that would be great.

There is nothing wrong with my LR (just yet). This is simply a curiosity trip. Thanks

The Madman stuff looks good but I assume that each sensor needs to be individually wired in.

I had my mind on something that could just be plugged into the ECU diagnostic socket (via PDA/laptop) and then get access to all the data that that already has. (There must be some benefit to that hunk of cabling under my seat!)

I will go surfing for an OBD interface but if anybody has any specific Td5 tip here then that would be great.

There is nothing wrong with my LR (just yet). This is simply a curiosity trip. Thanks

I got a Scangauge for Christmas and its a really nice piece of kit except it doesnt work on a TD5 :(

The OBDII port on a TD5 isnt completely standard so any device you plug into it you must make sure its compatible. Its a shame really as the scangauge is a really nice simple unit. I cleared the engine management light on my bosses Passat earlier in the week in about 2 minutes having never used it before.

I guess the only option for querying the ECU is Nanocom and I am guessing thats not going to look very prett stuck to your dash.

Ben