Sankey Trailer Question

JonJon

Morning!

I posted on the defender forum and it was suggested I bring it here;

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post; but does anyone know why the battered sankey trailer we've got locks its wheels when we reverse it? It makes everyone on the farm laugh though. Except us.

Cheers!

jon

Because they're fitted with overrun brakes. You should have a reversing collar or button (depending on the age of the trailer). This stops the shaft being pushed in when reversing and thus applying the brakes. You ought to get a manual on the trailer (try ebay).

I'm not surprised they're all laughing.

Cheers

Nige

Because they're fitted with overrun brakes. You should have a reversing collar or button (depending on the age of the trailer). This stops the shaft being pushed in when reversing and thus applying the brakes. You ought to get a manual on the trailer (try ebay).

I'm not surprised they're all laughing.

Cheers

Nige

Cheers!

Just did (get a manual) Didn't think to look there. Don't mind being laughed at. Much.

• 1 month later...

just a note on use of NATO pintle/ring couplings [in this case rotate means 360 degrees around the centre of the ring or pintle when viewed along the centreline of the vehicle/trailer]

if the trailer has a FIXED nato ring the tow vehicles pintle MUST be able to ROTATE

if the trailer has a ROTATING nato ring the tow vehicles pintle MUST be locked in the FIXED position

the reason for this is if both are Fixed or both are able to Rotate they can & most likely will lock up against each other & cause possibly seroius problems.

I always have the vehicle pintle unlocked whenever my rally recovery trailer or a mates trailers are coupled as they have a fixed ring, I had imy trailer flip on me once before the nato pintle/hitch coupling was fitted & that was once too often, if one part of the rig did flip the other part of the rig should in theory stay upright.