Putting the public at risk?

I think you will find that it has more to do with axle breather than air intake without additional breather tubes the Defender is restricted the side intake is high as a Range Rover air intakes.

I'd say the specified wading depth for the Defender is very much on the save side. Surely we have all seen them wade a lot deeper without any modifications.

The breathers are all higher than the top of the tyres, so shouldn't cause any problems.

Fact remains you can safely stop a standard Defender in 20" or more of water, I'd like to see some of the other 4x4s try that.

Here's our work Hummer - notice it's a proper Hummer, not one of these yank 4x4s with a body swap... I don't think it would be muck cop off road in the UK though - the lanes are too small. It makes a bad tow truck, a bad road car and I cetainly wouldn't want to take it up a mountain in the snow....

post-5209-1204809841_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to tlak the boss into letting me take it Bunny Lane in the summer :D

When I was in the US a few years back, I got the chance for a Hummer tour in Moab. It was a (what I would call) a proper Hummer i.e. an ex-military one. It was set up like an African safari Land Rover with loads of seats in the back. It was driven by an ex-Airborne Ranger or similar. I have to say he knew what he was doing. We initially went to the "Back of the Rocks" which is the desert area behind the slick rocks. There was an amazing amount of different terrain that would cause problems for a lot of off-roaders. I think the fact that he knew how to drive one properly helped alot. He knew exactly when to let the air out of the tyres (sometimes in mid climb as traction was lost!) and when to pump them back up. It was the same when we went onto the slick rocks via the Lion's Back. He knew how to handle it correctly so that it frightened the sh*t out of the passengers :lol:

I think you will find that it has more to do with axle breather than air intake without additional breather tubes the Defender is restricted the side intake is high as a Range Rover air intakes.

That actually the official reason (I working on Axles design for Land-Rover (not actually on defender)) for wading depth.

As standard the axles are not fitted with breather tube with the addition of breather tubes the wading depth is greater as most military and SVO (Mountain Rescue, Police, Forestry, ETC) vehicles are fitted with.

post-5209-1204809841_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to tlak the boss into letting me take it Bunny Lane in the summer :D

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it! :lol:

Tell him we'll bet he can't follow me & Rich round the site :ph34r:

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it! :lol:

Tell him we'll bet he can't follow me & Rich round the site :ph34r:

i got to see this when?

There's only 3 problems:

1. The wheel base is about 400 inches (or something similar) so at Bunny Lane it will probably get hung up everywhere

2. I'd go mad driving it all the way from Hamble to Romsey - each year we take it to Monaco and there's always an argument of who's NOT going to drive it!

3. It's mint, so getting it muddy would be a bad career move :ph34r: Though the boss did seem interested in giving it go :D

Not to mention the 12 mpg it gets :blink: I wonder how the mountain rescuers will get on with that, or are the new fake Hummers better?

I think i'd be better off giving Fridge and Rich a game of follow the leader if I was in my Discovery!

All RHD H3s are made in South Africa, and we don't like them either! A cell service provider gave away about 6 as prizes in a competition and got a lot of stick for the military way they advertised the competion, with cartoons of military-coloured helicopters with H3s suspended.

The use of the H1 in Iraq by the US forces has not helped much. On the other hand, there are no complaints about Defenders being used by the British forces.

The Hummer is useless on the deep sand tracks we get in parts of the country, and others like Botswana. The ruts are a foot deep or more, and a Land Rover fits perfectly (as the ruts are mostly made by Land Rovers it isn't surprising). The Hummer can only move with one set of wheels in the ruts and one out, where they run into rocks, sharp sticks and thorn trees, and even elephants :D

I can't quite work out what MR will do with a 4,000lbs truck.

This appears to be given to the Mountain Rescue "council" not an indiviual mountain rescue team - it may be the "national association" will use it for publicity/support rather than operational MR purposes. It doesn't even have blue lights or "ambulance" markings so wouldn't be much use in MR operations. (Unless the blue lights are very, very "covert" which is rather cool.)

Cheers

Blippie