Quick release mudflaps?

I need some quick release rear mudflaps for my 110 - i.e. something I can take off and on in less than a minute preferably without tools!

The reason is that I have two different requirements:

1) Towing a trailer on gravel roads, which as anybody who has tried it will know, you need mudflaps on the back of the vehicle otherwise with mud-terrain tyres on you will lose all the windows in the back of the vehicle VERY quickly as rocks fly up from the tyres, ping off the trailer body and tinkle.... £100 plus of glass chippings in the back.

2) Off road for which I am already sick of mudflaps having trashed the bracket and bent the rear side panel again yesterday just dropping gently into a steep ditch

The standard rear mudflap bracket is just bolted on the outside to the thin alloy bodyside panel on a 110 and is very vulnerable to damage as 110 owners will know. My idea is to make a stronger bracket which sits higher up (inside the bodywork) and have some sort of quick-release system (yet to be determined - maybe pins and R clips or something, any other ideas?) so I can pop the mudflaps on and off as the requirement dictates.

Just wondered if anybody else has done this and if so could you post up a pic in case it gives me an idea. Most people here just take the mudflaps off (as I used to do on the old 90's) but at the moment I need something quickly removable for the reasons above.

Ta :)

I need some quick release rear mudflaps for my 110 - i.e. something I can take off and on in less than a minute preferably without tools!

The reason is that I have two different requirements:

1) Towing a trailer on gravel roads, which as anybody who has tried it will know, you need mudflaps on the back of the vehicle otherwise with mud-terrain tyres on you will lose all the windows in the back of the vehicle VERY quickly as rocks fly up from the tyres, ping off the trailer body and tinkle.... £100 plus of glass chippings in the back.

2) Off road for which I am already sick of mudflaps having trashed the bracket and bent the rear side panel again yesterday just dropping gently into a steep ditch

The standard rear mudflap bracket is just bolted on the outside to the thin alloy bodyside panel on a 110 and is very vulnerable to damage as 110 owners will know. My idea is to make a stronger bracket which sits higher up (inside the bodywork) and have some sort of quick-release system (yet to be determined - maybe pins and R clips or something, any other ideas?) so I can pop the mudflaps on and off as the requirement dictates.

Just wondered if anybody else has done this and if so could you post up a pic in case it gives me an idea. Most people here just take the mudflaps off (as I used to do on the old 90's) but at the moment I need something quickly removable for the reasons above.

Ta :)

Easiest solution would probably be a chain or something to pull the mudflaps up and out of harms way when offroading.

Alternatively, a friend of mine added a full width hinge between the brackets and mudflaps. When offroading he just has to pull the pin out of the hinge, and the flaps come off.

Easiest solution would probably be a chain or something to pull the mudflaps up and out of harms way when offroading.

Alternatively, a friend of mine added a full width hinge between the brackets and mudflaps. When offroading he just has to pull the pin out of the hinge, and the flaps come off.

It's the brackets rather than the flaps that get trashed on a 110 though, so some new brackets tucked up further are a must to avoid trashing the bodywork when the bracket gets torn off. I too have seen people that tie them up out of the way with bungees or whatever, to avoid the classic "reverse over a grass bog and rip the flap off" problem!

I like the hinge pin idea though, I might work on that :)

Tim is yours a 90 or a 110 though? mudflaps are further forwards on a 110, not on the crossmember like a 90.

What about using some anti-luce fasteners? It's not something I've tried myself but I'd think a couple of the smaller 10mm fasteners for each mud-flap would work ok and be very easy to release, which would be important given their proposed location.

I had to look that up on Google... :unsure:

Good idea but I think they would probably fall off - the roads here are pretty rough. I would probably spend much of the time with them fitted and take them off for off-road trips, rather than only fitting them when the trailer was on.

Tim is yours a 90 or a 110 though? mudflaps are further forwards on a 110, not on the crossmember like a 90.

yes mine is a 90 but it would work on a 110 but you'd need much bigger mudflaps to take into acount them being ferther away, my old 110 hicap thay were on the rear x member

I used pins and R clips before I got rid of the brackets altogether - it works okay but they're fiddly to get in and out especially when the mudflap is covered in muck.

If you want something really easy I'd suggest finding another solution!

Richard