trackrod bar clearance

doctorlv1

can any body help. my 1979 landrover on disco1 axles .the track rod bar witch is now behind the axle keeps breakin as it is cut and welded to go over the spings and under the springs.i wont to put a solid trackrod bar on but the leaf springs are in the way.can any body help.thanks

Another reason why I think that conversion is horrible, if not downright dangerous!! I've seen some horrible abominations done with bent track rods and all sorts to try and make it work.

In short the safeest and least involved way to sort it is to make up some spacers to space the entire axle up away from the leaf springs, and then use longer U bolts to secure it. You can then use the standard rangie/disco track rod.

Ok so you lose ground clearance, but otherwise I've never seen a truly safe, satisfactory way of doing it that doesnt compromise either safety, or the suspension geometry.

Jon

My current solution

101 trackrod, that i had the main rod shortened professionally so that it wasnt weakened.

Wasnt cheap to do though!!! 101 parts arent that common, and the steering track rod ends are usually rust to the tubes so that you cannot seperate them without damage

HPIM0567.jpg

How ever i believe a td5 defender track rods have a similar profile and would have been a cheaper option. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing yada yada...!!!

just because its got mot doesn't necessarily mean its safe, the mot man doesn't always notice everything.

I think it even use to say at the bottom of the MOT slip before the electromatronic versions- "This does not certify the vehicle is safe etc... ( or some get out clause to that effect)".

The bar would have to be a very interesting shape or you would have to do something really radical with the swivel housing :blink: (or the steering would be very interesting) :lol: If you had the bar under the springs it would put it very low down and subject to damage (it would in effect become the lowest part of the front of the truck). Above the springs is far better as it would be relatively protected.

Les.

I did mine a while ago,with the axle rotated forwards enough so the trackrod clears the springs.Work ok.

gallery_1618_185_342497.jpg

If I did it again,I would try the trackrod in front of the axle using a left hand drive swivel (or,I am told,a standard td5 swivel) on the starboard side,and join the trackrod and draglink together,as jeeps do.

Meccano,show us the trackrod ENDS please.

i'd suggest that your mounting feet have been welded on in the wrong place on your axle, to rotate the axle cut off the mounting feet and weld them on further round the axle tube.

post a picture up of clearance issues and of diff pinion angles and we'll have a better idea on how to advise. :rolleyes:

i'd suggest that your mounting feet have been welded on in the wrong place on your axle, to rotate the axle cut off the mounting feet and weld them on further round the axle tube.

post a picture up of clearance issues and of diff pinion angles and we'll have a better idea on how to advise. :rolleyes:

Hi some pics for you

post-7955-1205506780_thumb.jpg

post-7955-1205506877_thumb.jpg

post-7955-1205506926_thumb.jpg

Hi some pics for you

as you can see by the photos that my track rod bar as been cut and re welded to go around the springs and under the springs, in one of the pictures you can see i have tried to put a straight bar but as you will see it will not fit either over the spring or under the spring, this is why the track rod bar has been modified cut and re welded

any suggestions?

Thanks

Thats horrible!!!!! I'm amazed that has passed an MOT.

Can you post a picture that'll give us an idea what angle the diff is sat at as this will give the best clue. It looks as though the axle has been mounted with the diff nose set the same as on a series axle, whereas on a coiler it should sit at more of an angle IIRC. This may be part of your problem, but its hard to tell from the pics.

In addition I'm concerned about your U bolts. They appear to simply be made from threaded studding bent around the axle tube. Studding is not normally high tensile, so unless you definately know otherwise I'd be inclined not to trust them!

Cheers

Jon

I have to echo what the others have said - that is a very dangerous set-up you have there I'm afraid. The threaded bar has nothing like the tensile strength of the proper U-bolts. The people that passed your steering on the MOT should be prosecuted. If your steering breaks or the U-bolts snap - you could have a bad accident. There's a very good reason why welding or excessive heat is not permitted on steering gear. Not what you want to hear probably, but it is a bad alteration.

Les.

Christ Almity that is truely terrifying :blink:

What exactly does your insurance compnay know about these mods ?......if they don't know and you have a prang you could well find yourself 'driving whilst uninsured' which is not the best thing to have nailed on you...the insurers are likley to find a way out of any payment, making you then personally liable :(:blink: .

Frankly I wouldn't even think of driving that until you have a far safer solution - and the insurers happy

Nige