which disco late 300tdi or early td5

selectcase

Hi all

I am in the market to get a new car and have up to 5k to spend I notice looking in autotrader that i could get a really nice late P/R 300tdi or perhaps a S/T/V/W td5

which is the better bet for reliability etc I love the look of the newer ones but I can service/rebuild etc the 300tdi a lot easier??

Just after a few opions really and what to avoid/look out for

cheers

will

The early Td5 Discoverys were pretty good and a much better car on the road. 300Tdi is better for DIY and has a lot less body electronics in it if you are planning to keep it for a while. It really depends on whether you value simplicity or road performance. I think the D1 is better off road because it has a difflock and the front end can be modified easier for better clearance, also the clearance at the rear of the D2 is worse because of the overhang.

Having said that I love my D2 and find it much better to drive than my old V8 D1. The D2 has also done away with some of the corrosion traps in the D1, the seam inside the second row door aperture being a classic example.

If I was spending 5k I'd want a TD5,

do you want to DIY repairs, if so I'd spend more like 3k on a late 300tdi (non edc so probably a Manual)

if you're not fussed about paying for repairs (which will come) and you've got a good local independent who want charge a fortune then go for the TD5. You can get the Nanocom now which helps with the electronics and diagnosing problems these are about £200+VAT, and would be essential if you plan to DIY repair the TD5

Will - i would go for a td5 without a doubt at the 5k mark - whats the mileage though? assumings it got a good FSH and regular oil changes.

Bishops Lydeard garage are soon to have the kit to sort them as well.

Chain not a timing belt so no probs there

more flexible on road/chipping etc

will use more fuel though as you will drive it quicker!

Better lights! more comfortable in my opinion

this is a tough one!

having just been quoted for a new hub (due to loose wheelbearing) and a fuel pressure regulator on the wifes td5 D11.........i may be a little biased against the D11. They dont seem overly user serviceable and some parts are very expensive and appear to be pointlessly designed. I mean come on! Who in their right mind would produce a 4x4 with a real offroad ability with sealed for life non serviceable wheel bearings - that necessitate changing the ENTIRE bloody hub if they fail? £250 for a hub!!!! £135 for a fuel regulator?

Then there are the other stupid design features on the D11. £200 per injector? Heads that theoretically cannot be skimmed if the gasket goes? Sunroofs still leak? Sticky central locking? Cracks in exhaust manifold? Non greaseable front prop? Door seals that cause drafts over 60mph? The usual LR electrics.....it goes on and on and on

You know, all the things that should have been resolved and lessons learnt on the D1 - but werent, and definitely things that should have been sorted in a very expensive luxury vehicle.

i would probably forgive the disco 1 its slightly cruder interior and ride comfort and go for a top spec immaculate late disco 300tdi auto and spend a few quid getting its fueling tweaked and some nice goodies. Or a top spec V8 auto with a decent lpg system fitted.

but then again, i love driving the D11. Its super comfy, very quiet and goes quite quickly too. ACE is awesome on road and the TC is fantastic offroad. Load space is better than the D1, as is the rear legroom and the harmon kardon sound system is very good.

dunno. still a tough choice. £5k would get a brilliant D1, or possibly a money pit of a D11.

Nick - fuel regulators shouldnt be that much - £59.21 + VAT i paid for one (parts only) and a while ago when mine needed doing. they brought out a revised one as well which means you need the new gasket to go with it.

Wheel bearings - thats unfortunate that the hub has become damaged and needs replacing, although you can fit the older style bearing adjustment to them ie remove the bearing spacer and stake nut and retighten bearings with new spacer (goes on after the bearing rather than between them )and lock nut.

the rest is about right!

D1 - 300tdi

still got that leaky sunroof

another timing belt issue? has it been done/upgraded

carp auto boxes compared to td5

longer service interval

leaky sunroofs and rear sky lights.

rusted floors pans in the boot

As he says its a tricky choice

buy a defender - cheaper insurance, better mpg, and when it does leak water in it wont be as much water as a discovery as it will all run straight out rather than slosh around in the boot.

Nick - fuel regulators shouldnt be that much - £59.21 + VAT i paid for one (parts only) and a while ago when mine needed doing. they brought out a revised one as well which means you need the new gasket to go with it.

Wheel bearings - thats unfortunate that the hub has become damaged and needs replacing, although you can fit the older style bearing adjustment to them ie remove the bearing spacer and stake nut and retighten bearings with new spacer (goes on after the bearing rather than between them )and lock nut.

post hijack - sorry.

there are 3 different fuel regulators - a cheap one, an expensive revised one and a defender version. yup, mines the dear one. :angry:

as for the bearing, the swap to tdi style nuts etc is only on td5 defenders, on disco 2 the hub and bearing setup is simillar to the p38 with open swivel arrangement with a rubber cv boot. Unfortunately the bearing is non serviceable and if it goes you have to replace the hub as a whole unit.

post hijack - sorry.

there are 3 different fuel regulators - a cheap one, an expensive revised one and a defender version. yup, mines the dear one. :angry:

as for the bearing, the swap to tdi style nuts etc is only on td5 defenders, on disco 2 the hub and bearing setup is simillar to the p38 with open swivel arrangement with a rubber cv boot. Unfortunately the bearing is non serviceable and if it goes you have to replace the hub as a whole unit.

Correct - and while I was also doom and gloom when I first saw the revised arrangement, I have to say having seen quite a few at work, it is amazingly reliable compared to the old bearings. I can't vouch for water and mud sealing off road but for a vehicle used mainly on road it doesn't seem to be a weak point. The other bit that I confidently predicted would cause bother was the Watts linkage but to date I do not think we have replaced a single Watts linkage bush on the D2.

post hijack - sorry.

i stand corrected - sorry

i am also considering the same purchase. I have had a 200 and 300 disco, both were fine but alittle unrefined and by todays standards alittle dated. I wish to buy something that can safely tow, the td5 will so i am told out perform the others when towing, and i will feel alittle happier having TC and ABS- as i crashed a 300tdi without ABS when i was towing, dont want to do that again! I also want to do some greenlaning and some longer trips in it so thats why i am aiming for a td5 disco.

Yes, the parts etc maybe cheaper for a 300tdi, but i think the enjoyment factor, and walking out to see a car on your drive that your happy with outways some of the extra costs!

i may mod mine similar to the one on discoparts gallery, very nice

D1 - 300tdi

carp auto boxes compared to td5

Is that bit correct? I thought it was the other way round? I reckon the auto box on the 300tdi is really good, espicially for the age. I recently drove an 08 Landcruiser Auto and I thought that felt terrible. I've seen lots of complaints about the Td5 auto box especially when towing, not really seen any problems reported for 300tdi auto boxes except for eventual wear with them being older.

Also I would avoid a late 300tdi Auto as it had the EDC system fitted which ok gave it a bit more horsepower and knocked about 3-4 seconds off the 0-60 time but it's riddled with dodgy electrics and sensitive bits.

TD5!!!

I run a Land Rover company and own a lot of Land Rovers myself. My DII TD5 is by far the most reliable car of them all.

It has done well over 200000 miles now, all with a heavy trailer (I use it to tow cars through all of Europe) and it is driven hard.

I haven't had a single problem regarding reliability with it. Even at this mileage the wheel bearings are the original ones and still good, shocks, bushes, exhaust, clutch, everything still original. The front shocks need to be replaced now, I have a set of OME shock ready. My rear door won't unlock anymore, that is the ONLY problem I've had with this car in 200000 miles.

Doesn't use a drop of oil, doesn't leak a drop of oil, doesn't have any backlash in transmission, doesn't rust or corrode, doesn't leak inside.

I service it every 15000 miles. I own a nanocom, but you don't need it for regular service. It doesn't have any error codes.

I'm sure it will go for another 200000 miles without major problems. I've removed the EGR. Seats are getting a little softer now, it were the best seats I've ever had in a car.

All my defenders are OK also, but they all have some smaller defects now and then.

TD5 heads can be skimmed without problems..