Toyota axles on a 90

JST

I know of some toyota axles sat around for a while now which i don't think the owner would miss. (or notice) trucks a bit of a mess and obviously doesn't intend to move for a while.

Is it really worth the effort of getting them adapted to fit a 90 to replace std LR axles? i can get the fab work done for not alot and the axles would be free if i removed them just wondering if its worth the effort?

What would i do ref props?

Guest WALFY
I know of some toyota axles sat around for a while now which i don't think the owner would miss. (or notice) trucks a bit of a mess and obviously doesn't intend to move for a while.

Is it really worth the effort of getting them adapted to fit a 90 to replace std LR axles? i can get the fab work done for not alot and the axles would be free if i removed them just wondering if its worth the effort?

Hasn't Nick got those axles under his truck? He could give you some idea as to whether it's worth it or not.

Do you do the miles to warrant the work :P

What Toyota axles are you thinking? And what's your motivation?

I'm currently fitting Landcruiser 80 series axles to my Discovery. Advantages are tougher shafts than LR, tougher diffs than LR, bigger brakes than LR, wider than LR (good with lift), lower ratio diffs than LR (good for fitting big tyres) and lockers as standard.

LC 80 front axle on Discovery:

post-5209-1205354173_thumb.jpg

Older Toyota Landcruiers and Hiluxs don't offer the same advantages as above - most don't have lockers, most have drum rear brakes and some have smaller diffs.

Bear in mind there is a HUGE amount of work in stripping all of the brackets off and building new to suit the Landrover. Then there's custom props, or adaptors and custom brake plumbing.

I wasn't concerned about all this work as I like doing it all myself and like you my axles were super cheap. If you're a bolt on man and paying some one to do the work, then it's not worth the cost compared to up-rating LR stuff.

Here's something for you James....

post-1427-1205353188_thumb.jpg

thought you might be having a touch of the vapours :lol::lol:

OH FFS this is getting silly

you CANT have anyh of my axles- certainly NOT my vapour axles and definitely NOT my axles on my daily driver truck- although i admit it hasn't driven for a while!

(Tim i'm really sorry- i'll get out there this week and do some more work!)

James

if you really do have access to some unloved yota axles then I would seriously grab them while you can. You say the owner won't miss them so offer him a couple of escudos and get welding. I have had a set of patrol axles on the floor of the workshop for 12 months or so and will eventually get round to fitting them. I guess even if you don't fit these for a couple of months it would be better to have them in storage than to leave them stuck in a yard somewhere to rust away through lack of use...

Guest WALFY

Is it worth it. Your truck hasn't seen daylight in weeks!!! Are you sure you still have a 90 in your barn or perhaps you now have a vapour 90

OH FFS this is getting silly

you CANT have anyh of my axles- certainly NOT my vapour axles and definitely NOT my axles on my daily driver truck-

why not? they arent doing anything and you have 4 of them, i'm off to get a trailer................

what do you actually need to do to make them fit a landrover.

For LC series 80 (diffs are on correct side, as is steering):

Cut off all of the existing brackets

Make and fit all new brackets for shocks, springs, radius arms, a frame, panhard rod.

Front prop adaptor / spacer

Custom rear prop

Brake line adaptors - for Disco to make from 5 line to 3 line, may not need anything on a 90.

Wiring for the diff lockers

New drag link

Possibly new panhard rod, but i've used the LR one

Maybe custom tie bar to clear the front radius arms, but I've used a 3 link, so it's different for me

New wheels obviously!

So, a stroll in the park really :hysterical:

Mind you I will end up with equivelent of about £3000 of LR axles for less than £500 and a good few weekends.

Guest WALFY
<br />what would you do with them? it's not as if your vehicle gets any more use than mine does!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

And that's saying something. Cos yours is in bits and James truck is.....?!

They're not that easy to find - that's why JST should 'borrow' Pugwash's when he's not looking :lol:

Service bits are easy to find - Milner 4x4, though things like brake parts are MUCH more expensive than LR (how about £90 for a pair of discs)

More complicated bits like shafts, CVs and diffs is more of a problem, the best bet seems to be the US or Aus. Though I was averaging 1 diff every 3 months with my standard LR axles before going to LC and now I hope I wont need any!

James,

You're a bad, bad man ............. watch out or Jim will send the 'boys' around............

You would be better off picking up the MOG axles from the other pile of scrap :rofl: ................... I'll take the engine ............. -_-

:)

Ian

Toooo late Ian,, engine already bagged !!! Besides you already have a good engine

Tim - engine now with Bryan, dropped it off this pm on way back through

Now got 2 sets of axles! Mog ones already have the brackets there - very well made so can sell on the LC ones now.

Not sure what to do with this gearbox thing, looks expensive got to be worth £50

talking of £50 i gave Viridor a call and they are going to pop in tomorrow to collect the carcass Tim, i have already paid them to take it away, i offered it to the guys but no one wanted it.

Are for you Mr Walford, i think your find my trucks been out more than yours this year! off road that is, you know wet muddy stuff, i will send you some to remind you.

• 5 months later...