Painting question

Tonk

wot do people use to paint their rollcages with? lookin for summat that can be brushed on, sticks like sh!t to a blanket and is fast dryin. i realise that no paint ill withstand rubbing on trees though :rolleyes:

NOT Hammerite! I've got it on my chassis and I thoroughly regret going to the effort, its SO brittle, I hardly need to tap it for a bit to flake off and that's with the correct primer.

Al.

wot do people use to paint their rollcages with? lookin for summat that can be brushed on, sticks like sh!t to a blanket and is fast dryin. i realise that no paint ill withstand rubbing on trees though :rolleyes:

Properly prepped and applied POR15 is extremely good but expensive mind. I POR'd my chassis and had huge difficulties sand blasting it off as it was so sticky. If you don't prep the metal exactly like they tell you to then you will have adhesive problems mind!

I've had good results with Jenolite satin black coach enamel, and also with a Dacrylate 'chassis black'. It doesn't actually say chassis black on the tin, can't remember what it does say though :rolleyes: I find the Dacrylate paints tend to give good results and are hard wearing. POR15 only sticks to rusty surfaces, clean metal or pre-painted surfaces and it will just peel off.

I'm looking at more full-on industrial coatings like Dupont Imron. Some kind of epoxy or polyurethane paint. I'd use Protecta-Kote but you can't get it without the little crushed up bits of rubber in (for grip). I really like that stuff and it's properly tough, but painting a landy with bobbly paint would look, well... odd.

The stuff I had on my steel hulled boat was amazingly tough - 2 pack epoxy. You could drive the 10 tonne boat into / along a rock or bit of concrete and the paint would still be there. Try that with hammerite... ;)

Al.