Random 109 Idea

What's wrong with the hybrid Paul? You gone off that, has it broken or is this just 'a little something on the side'?

There is no problem with the hybrid. it got a new MOT yesterday.

As far as i am concerned, bar ongoing titivation, the hybrid is as i want it...... a straightforward recycle of the old RRC.

I do not want any serious lifts, 35's, lockers, winches etc etc.

It is what i set out to build.

This is exploration of another project..... a new challange for the sake of it, as you put it, 'a little something on the side'.

I get a buzz out of exploring ideas, and making stuff..... the hybrid rekindled that, after 'building' lay dormant for 6/7 years! :rolleyes:

hmmm, from way way way back when i had my series 2a, i always had the dream of fitting the superb straight 6cyl volvo engine from the old 200 series.......

superb engine, immensely strong and with bucket loads of torque. probably an easy match for a 3.9v8 - and they are so strong a dose of NOS would definitely be on the cards. Stick the whole drive train in and it would be bloody fast!

As for lowering it, why not cut off the 'ears' that the shackles bolt to on the chassis and drill a hole in the chassis with a crush tube welded in and bolt the shackles to that? Should raise the shackle mounting point by 2". Combined with stiff flat transit springs and shorter shackles should give you a drop of about 3-4" at least.

nicks90,

You are kinda in the same ballpark as me with regards to what is being considered.

Idea in 'simple recipe terms'

A roofless 109, with roll hoops behind the seats, screen folded flat, in ratty peeling camo paint.

Remove front axle, replace, allegedly with a front clip from a sherpa, rear axle, is a salisbury type from sherpa(?) or Volvo/ Transit.

Lower the stance of the 109 by 4inches for starters, thats half the diff clearance reduced, down to normalish car levels. Yes doing a sled has been discussed but its airbags etc to get the correct effect.

Engine and rwd gearbox from volvo, poss a disco mpi with rwd lt77, or a ford type 9 on a zetec/ k series/ vauxhall xe.

Intention is to double the normal bhp.... from 70 to 140bhp ish( normal zetec/ xe/ 1.8k factory tune), and loose some weight. ( front axle, transfer box)

Make it for a laugh....... for the sake of it.

Idea is to build it out of available scrapyard donors, in an old skool hotrod sense.

As Jez posted on rogue troopers thread...... a rat rod land rover.

rear axle, is a salisbury type from sherpa(?) or Volvo/ Transit.

Why replace a salisbury back axle with a salisbury back axle :huh:

Intention is to double the normal bhp.... from 70 to 140bhp ish

So it'll be slower than your 182bhp (factory figure) 3.9 V8 Hybrid then :o Sorry if I keep going back to that, just trying to work out exactly what the thinking is behind some of these ideas.

rear axle, is a salisbury type from sherpa(?) or Volvo/ Transit.

Why replace a salisbury back axle with a salisbury back axle :huh:

Intention is to double the normal bhp.... from 70 to 140bhp ish

So it'll be slower than your 182bhp (factory figure) 3.9 V8 Hybrid then :o Sorry if I keep going back to that, just trying to work out exactly what the thinking is behind some of these ideas.

Axle - a LR salisbury has offset diffs, to allow for the transfer box, i dont want a transfer box, want a central diff. And the axles on the donor are wanted by someone else!

I just do not want a V8 this time!

Anyway, it will be more responsive purely cos its not 4wd.

The engine I always fancied trying in my series 2 was a volvo 960 one. 3ltr all aluminium straight six and the swedes get them up to over 300 hp just by chipping. Idea is helped by the fact that my parents have one rotting in the corner of the garden with a police spec engine in it. It's a lovely quite engine with no V8 roar to give the game away. If it can make a 2 ton volvo estate beat gti's etc.... then 'only' 1600kg of landie should really fly! Have only been put off the idea of fitting it to my landie as I want it to be able to wade and think it's too much hassle to waterproof it.

HTH

Ed

I'm just thinking that this could look interesting with an MGB Salisbury axle at the back and an MGB front subframe bolted onto the chassis. It could then have wire wheels and center lock nuts. You could use MGC wire wheels which were 15" so they wouldn't look too small.

The front subframe is an easy bit of kit to use, only 4 bolts and a steering uj and it is completely self contained and very low to the ground. Mine only had 2" ground clearence when it was road race preped.

Have only been put off the idea of fitting it to my landie as I want it to be able to wade and think it's too much hassle to waterproof it.

You need EDIS then, EDIS-6's are easily found in the UK. My V8 runs happily underwater on EDIS B)

Raumer,

Someone else has mentioned a straight 6, and i had forgotten about the Volvo 3.0/ 2.5 six as found in 960's... and yes you are following my thinking, something with ooomph but without the 'in yer face' V8 noise...... subtlety..... and the install of the V8 is 'obvious'.

It does seem that with a small amount of thought, that the 109 can be dropped a few inches, tyres for one, then the possible swap to transit flat springs, poss a couple of lowering blocks, and the repositioning of the spring mounts.

Any other ideas welcome?

Any other ideas welcome?

Lighten the carp out of it. Strip it all out, remove any excess structure you don't need.

If you insist on running some kind of silent engine, whatever thats about, at least give it a fighting chance by increasing your power to weight ratio.

Oh, yeah, did I mention the NOS?

Al.

:)

NOS, a big turbo, water injection to keep the first two in check, GRP body panels (check eBay, many are available stock), plexi windscreen, ali bulkhead (or ali panelled), ditch the stock steering setup too as it's scary and heavy, rack & peanut from a car will do. Electric PAS could save engine power and save plumbing/weight especially if you mount the engine in the back which I reckon is a very sensible suggestion.

What are you lot smoking this week??????????????

Mind you my old Lightweight now has a Rover P6 engine,SD1 box and rear axle....

LDV 200 front axle with discs.....3 leaves removed from each spring......

8x15 rear and 6x15 front Revolutions on 70 profile tyres....

Now that is LOW!!!!!!!!!