Who would you call a Real Legend?

Just interested to know what members of this forum would think here. As we all have one common passion in our vehicles, I wonder if our interests outside of Land Rover are at all similiar....

Who would you consider to be a total legend of a person? Someone you would just love to meet or talk to or listen to, or just inspires you??

I have in my short-list so far (in no particular order): Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Richard Hammond, Ray Mears, David Attenborough & Kingsley Holgate.

Any others?

Mart

PS someone who OUGHT to be a legend, but you really just want to punch, is Bear Grylls!

Guest WALFY

Sir R-F is a tit. Agree with the rest but who is this Kinglsey bloke?

As for Bear. Why should he be a legend? I know he's been a bit special in a previous career but that doesn't come with legend status.

As for Bear. Why should he be a legend?

I dont know! He just does stuff that you would think is legen-like....you know, youngest bloke up Everest, blah, blah.......he just seems to be a Ray Mears wannabe. Irritating little twonk.

Kingsley Holgate is a South African explorer (and Land Rover driver) who has done some great stuff....the 360 degree expedition (around the entire coast of Africa in a LR) being the latest. See HERE.

Guest WALFY
Jez

Pete Rowe

Shelby

Gengis Khan

Parmenion

Miamoto Musashi

All the blokes on the First Overland trip

Obersturmfuhrer Trembath

Will Bowden

Pat Willis

Matt Neale

Going to elaborate on these choices?

how do you answer that one? soooooooooooooooooo many

Mozart, Churchill, Whitworth, Brunel, Niven, Elizabeth I, any VC holder, Sid James, Olly Reed, Lenny McLean, Colin Macrae, Randy Mamola, Giles Lalay (what a phenomenal bloke), Voltaire, God?, George.. the guy that taught me to weld, Farbizio Meoni, the nice Doctor the got my heart working again (thanks fella), Einstien, Whittle, Shakespere, Drake, Lemmy, Gorbechev......bla bla bla

Stephen Hawkin

I.K. Brunell

The Queen

Dr Rosalind Franklin

Emmeline Pankhurst

Issac Newton

Patrick Moore

There are others though.

All good, add Fred Dibnah, Frank Whittle, RJ Mitchell, Woolfe Bernato and Sterling Moss to my list.

Sir Ranulph and Bear also score quite highly in my books (particularly the former). Totally mad but very good at what they do.

I'd also add Andy Green as a modern hero. He was so cool as he face possible death on the land speed record run. I remember on the video of one of the runs as he was trying to slow down he said something like:

'Chute one. No go. Chute two. No go. Emergency chute. No go. Oh s**t... A little bumpy. Gentle braking.'

And he just carried on calm as anything doing the commentry as he came close to running out of road.

bird who drives the ring taxi & did a sub 11min lap o the Nurb ring in a transit

Sabine Scmidt?? Legend???? :o What has she ever done apart from drive round The Ring quickly???

Although, to be fair, there are no right or wrong answers. Its just who YOU think is a legend.

Guest WALFY
how do you answer that one? soooooooooooooooooo many

Mozart, Churchill, Whitworth, Brunel, Niven, Elizabeth I, any VC holder, Sid James, Olly Reed, Lenny McLean, Colin Macrae, Randy Mamola, Giles Lalay (what a phenomenal bloke), Voltaire, God?, George.. the guy that taught me to weld, Farbizio Meoni, the nice Doctor the got my heart working again (thanks fella), Einstien, Whittle, Shakespere, Drake, Lemmy, Gorbechev......bla bla bla

I think that to just say "any VC holder" is to narrow. What about all the George Cross holders and other medals for valour and bravery. They all desrve to be classed as legends. But then what about all the unknown battles. Battle of MirBat for example. The Radfan as an area was a long battle but at the time we "weren't there" ;) .