Work Experience

draper40

Hey,

School demands that I find a work placement 30june-4july and so obviously I am trying to find something Land Rover based. Land rover themselves are too busy and so does anyone know of anywhere else good to go in the warwick/coventry area. Preferably some sort of land rover workshop but engineering in general will do.

Thanks

Pete

As Walfy suggested try a local Army Regiment if they have REME there then you could try and do your work experience there. And not only will you get to play with Land Rover's there will plenty of bigger toy's. Just had a scout around and 126 Workshop Company REME is in coventry i think there TA but they will have a Perment fitters there so there may be scope for you to go there.

Many moons ago, I did work experience at the local Council Depot and got to work on all sorts of big toys ^_^

Mates who did theirs at normal garages only swept up / made tea etc because the owners didn't want to take the risk with customers...

So, I'd be inclined to look for a placement somewhere where the public don't take vehicles ;)

Mates who did theirs at normal garages only swept up / made tea etc because the owners didn't want to take the risk with customers...

So, I'd be inclined to look for a placement somewhere where the public don't take vehicles ;)

Agreed. Also, I know some guys who work for a 4x4 preparation company who used to enjoy work experience guys as they saw them as good sport as it was very hard to give them anything useful s they wanted to be shot of them. Go to somewhere where the customer has very deep pockets as the jobs will be bigger and there's more chance of you doing something interesting.

Many moons ago, I did work experience at the local Council Depot and got to work on all sorts of big toys ^_^

Our local council would find any work an experience!!!! :lol: :lol:

Many of the 15-16 year old I teach are on work experience weeks at the moment. They spend most of their time doing very little as the bulk of the experience is in getting them to turn up on time and stay the distance each day and that is what the employers expect at best. I guess you are actually looking to work and learn something though so it can be tough convincing some potential employers.

In my day my motor vehicle tech teacher also ran a garage and took on the best of the class as apprentices, and so I learnt my first trade that way.

Can your school put in a good word for you as well so that the places you are applying to get some sort of reference saying that you are genuine? We do do that sometimes.

A couple of years back I did work experience with Landrover on the defender production line.

So if anyone has a Td5 with a leaky truck cab roof it could be my fault, as they had me covering someones shift when he went to a wedding.

Also had a tour of the factory (the robots dont care if your only wearing a shirt they still chuck sparks at you :rolleyes: ). When over to Gaydon for bit. Sat in a few meetings where they argue over whoes fault the poor build quality is.

When to the Jag/Freelander 2 factory. Was there when the last freelander 1 rolled of the line. Got to see Jag XKR, 07 defender and Freelander 2 before they where released (and before the spy shots of the New Defender dash where out).

Was a truly brill two weeks (yes two :P )

Helps if you have insiders though :ph34r:

I did mine at a golf course as a groundkeeper. It was a good fun two weeks actually. The best thing I did was turn up on time and work hard and do anything they asked. And at the end I was offered a job if I wanted it when I did finish school and got £50 as a thanks.

I'm now working for a contracting company that maintians council vehicles as an apprentice mechanic. The range of vehicles is good, anything from small vans to trucks, tractor etc etc, prefer the trucks though. Everyday is normally different with different jobs on different vehicles so a good chance you'll broaden your knowledge.

I think you'd be better working somehwere like a local council if you can. You might end up taking some crappy jobs for a day or so, like a tea boy. but eventually they'll let you loose. Saying that haulage firms are also good to work for and learn as they don't turn a job down, and there not rush jobs as it's their own fleet. Factory times are quite often a joke.

Good Luck!

Mick