O/T Need help!

bishbosh

Sorry to distract you fine folk from the good business of Land Rovering, but I have a bit of a problem -

Tonight was the first time I have driven our Ford Focus (1999 Diesel Estate) in the dark for some time.

It would appear that I have some sort of an electrical problem:

All the electrics work fine with the exception of:

• No dash illumination (all instruments work but not lit)
  • No sidelights
  • No tail lights
  • No numberplate light
  • No warning chime if the lights are left on with the drivers door open.

All other lights function as they should.

Typically I am away from home for the weekend so cannot access my Haynes book of lies and the in car manual doesn't offer any clues as to which fuse(s) are worth investigating.

I sort of suspect the actual switch rather than a fuse as on the face of it, it is a fairly disparate collection of faults.

Anyhow, is anyone closer to a Haynes book of lies than me and could take a look? Don't really want to go to a main stealers to diagnose an electrical fault..... :blink::blink:

All help greatly appreciated!

Bish,, are you glad its not a Merc :lol::ph34r:

Seriously,, we has a X plate Focus a month or so ago fail the MOT with the same symptoms,, dead on the side lamp circuit,, traced to the master light switch !!

But would check the fuses first !!

It's almost definitely the switch Mr Bosh. The fuse box cover should have pictures of what each fuse does. If the fuse is ok, then the wide variety of lights that the sidelight switch operates means that it's unlikely to be anything else but the switch itself.

Les.

Tim, I was going to allude to that in my first post :lol: but thought I might Focus :P on the problem at hand!!

Tony - I never said they don't go wrong, just that they're cheaper (hopefully :ph34r: ) when they do!!

On that point, WKW do you recall how much the switch cost? :unsure:

Thanks to all for your replies, except of course for Ali :lol::P

Will check the fuses in the morning and see what the damage will be for the switch from Fraud.

No,, so long as you follow the instructions on the badge :rolleyes:

Fix Or Repair Daily

Here are some more , sorry could not resit

Found On Rubbish Dumps

Fails On Rainy Days

F**ked On Race Day

Found On Roadside Dead

Factory Ordered Road Disaster

Flip Over Read Directions

Four Old Rusted Doors

Ford Owner Really Dumb

Fords Only Run Downhill

F**K our Ride Died

:lol::lol::lol:

Similar thing happened on my wifes cmax the other month, turned out I had booted the fuse box which is in the passenger footwell. The connector was not seated right, gave it a push in and all was ok again.

Tim, I was going to allude to that in my first post :lol: but thought I might Focus :P on the problem at hand!!

Tony - I never said they don't go wrong, just that they're cheaper (hopefully :ph34r: ) when they do!!

On that point, WKW do you recall how much the switch cost? :unsure:

Thanks to all for your replies, except of course for Ali :lol::P

Will check the fuses in the morning and see what the damage will be for the switch from Fraud.

I think i paid around £50 from a main dealer .

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Have checked the fuses , and as Chris says there is one for each side and they are both fine.

The switch is used daily as I always drive with headlights on (throwback to my days in Canada). Just didn't notice the lack of dash lights as it hasn't been dark enough!

Thanks for the link Tony, but not sure I want another unkown quantity so have bitten the bullet and ordered a new one from Fraud - £48.61 :o

Hopefully that will do the trick!

Cheers,