home made winch bumper

madmatt

May be just me - bit it looks a bit delicate. I would have a chat with Nigel From Hell about beefing it up a bit. Some gussetts and maybe increasing the thickness of the winch tray to about 25mm would improve it.

;)

Si

Nice work there.

The only thing I would say is are you going to notice those corners when walking around the front of your vehicle?

Nice touch with the twin towing jaws. I used to fit mine wth the pin horizontal to take an A frame and be a jacking point as well as a mounting for a removable winch tray with a matching pair at the back.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Its been on a week now and I can't say the square corners have been a problem certainly not walking around them.

Paul that box section is 10mm wall, twice the thickness of any standard winch bumper the tow hitches also have 10mmn spreader plates behind them. I'm never going to pull the bolts through the front face with that quantity of steel there. If it had been 4 or 5mm steel may have been worth considering more. As it is now all threads are inside the box so the won't get covered in cack like they would going right through, oh and I dred to think 12 M16x220mm bolts would cost let alone weigh!

This was designed with commercial work in mind not all this driving upto your neck in mud milarky and then winching yourself out for 5hrs LOL!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Its been on a week now and I can't say the square corners have been a problem certainly not walking around them.

Paul that box section is 10mm wall, twice the thickness of any standard winch bumper the tow hitches also have 10mmn spreader plates behind them. I'm never going to pull the bolts through the front face with that quantity of steel there. If it had been 4 or 5mm steel may have been worth considering more. As it is now all threads are inside the box so the won't get covered in cack like they would going right through, oh and I dred to think 12 M16x220mm bolts would cost let alone weigh!

This was designed with commercial work in mind not all this driving upto your neck in mud milarky and then winching yourself out for 5hrs LOL!

I'm a little confused here, the box is 10mm wall, you have 10mm spreader plates behind the tow hitches ( I assume inside the box) and the holes are tapped M16?

I'm a little confused here, the box is 10mm wall, you have 10mm spreader plates behind the tow hitches ( I assume inside the box) and the holes are tapped M16?

I'm not sure why your confused! I never mentioned anything about taped holes., your right the box section is 10mm wall with 10mm spreader plates yes inside the box with nuts and washers on the back,

So the bolts are only on the front face with a plate behind inside the box of the bumper with, presumably, access for the spanner to hold the nut still. That should work.

On the back of my 6x6 there was a peice of 20mm plate with 4 M16 tapped holes to hold the hitch on. The plate was then welded onto the 6mm plate that made up the rear crossmember. Never had any problems with it. Never had any problems with the pin hitches welded on either.

So the bolts are only on the front face with a plate behind inside the box of the bumper with, presumably, access for the spanner to hold the nut still. That should work.

you got it mate! yeah it works at the end of the day the chassis will probably give up first lol!

Si...Paul

Your both wrong.

Should be out of 'solid' - prob solved re tubing holes :P

Actually I think it looks better 'on' the 110 than 'off' it, ...........nice job :)

Nige

(Even though its made from hopelessy thin sheet :P)

Cheers thanks for the comments its on a 130 practicality was more of an issue than styling