Heavy duty weld on diff pans

upnover4x4

Does any body know where I can get weld on diff pans or the pipe caps so that I can convert one myself. Had a talk with a couple of diff pan suppliers & they want around 80-90quid. Cant imagine the pipe cap will be ay thing close to this but cant find any suppliers.

Adrian

Will!!!

At the risk of subscribing to cliches... W T F ??? :blink:

post-139-1208300050.jpg

You might have the worlds beefiest brake pipe protectors, but you'll need to attach them to the axle casing at some point.

You could try welding them on. :unsure:

Al.

;)

Fair cop, its not terribly pretty (but it looks worse in the photo) as you can't run a nice weld around 10mm bar. It won't be coming off, though. :P

Here's a couple of close ups of the pan (and the ends of the brake pipe protector)

DSC00793-1.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

Talking of cliches, how's your build going? :lol::lol::lol:

I was just about to say I bet he did...

I was only yankin' your chain Will - but now we're into it - what technique were you using for the stacked dimes? Not worried about cold lap or lack of penetration at all?

Al

:)

Al, yes, as you say its an issue given the contact area. Basically I profiled the ends so I could run several layers of weld and did the welding last on the axle casing so the area was nicely warmed up. The penitration looked reasonable from the other side and was confirmed when I had to adjust the positioning of one of the sides (it was only about 2mm out but it was annoying me :huh: ). It was annother reason for using quite large diameter bar - to give me a bit more contact area. The other reason being 2 brake lines per side B)

Sorry Will - wires a bit crossed I think - I was asking about the 'stacked dimes' style welds around the diff pans - you know, kind of regularly spaced 'blobs' rather than a smooth continuous pattern? Looks like a bunch of coins laying in a line.

Cheers, Al.

Southdown do them as well - to order i believe its not a replacement one though, it goes over the top of your existing one.

The diff pans we sell are slightly over size giving the fitter the option of leaving a 5/10mm up stand of the old pan to make alginment easier.

We use them on our own vehicles and love them :)

Jim

Sorry Will - wires a bit crossed I think - I was asking about the 'stacked dimes' style welds around the diff pans - you know, kind of regularly spaced 'blobs' rather than a smooth continuous pattern? Looks like a bunch of coins laying in a line.

Cheers, Al.

Ahh, yeah, got you. No, penitration looked fine while welding. Its always been the way I've welded as that's how I was taught.... Never had any issues with weld failer. There's no leaks either B)

Pipe end caps - commonly used in water industry (how handy!) probably manufactured by Saint Gobain Pipelines amongst others. I'll have a butchers when i get back to the office for stockists as its gonna be much cheaper that way.

Will, you know how much it pains me to say this :lol::lol::lol:

But, there is nothing wrong with the welding on your diff pans what so ever!!!

Al is either pulling your leg even more or has eye sight problems ;)

The brake line protector welding though is carp :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lara.

Will, you know how much it pains me to say this :lol::lol::lol:

But, there is nothing wrong with the welding on your diff pans what so ever!!!

Al is either pulling your leg even more or has eye sight problems ;)

The brake line protector welding though is carp :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lara.

Jules, yeah, I'd agree the brake line protectors were one of those times when I really had to squeeze the pigeon hard to get the result. On the plus side the weld has since been introduced to Mr. die grinder to destroy the evidence :P