Cranked Radius Arms?

Tractorboy16

hi,

on my hybrid my axle is sitting at a horrible angle so im thinking i need some front radius arms to sort out the propblem, have the gwyn lewis set up on it at the moment with 2" spacers all around it with just heavy duty standard springs,

Here is a pic of the axle and how high it is standing with 35" on it, First pic is without any weight on it however the second pic if with it almost complete, bar cage and there is still not a pretty angle of the diff.

IMGP0913.jpg

IMGP1033.jpg

Would 3 degree caster corrections's be ok or would 6 degree be ok, whats the problem if i fit the wrong one?

many thanks

James

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a pair of castor corrected arms here if you want to try them (in Swindon, not far from Reading)

thhey're the 3 degree ones, i got them from scorpion a few years back and had them on my 90 when it was lifted sillily high.

I'm sure they're not made by scrapiron (the welding is far too good!), but if you want to try 'em, let me know.

they're the narrow bush type, so for pre Td5/300Tdi axles (although if you fitted wider bushes they'de only poke out a little bit each side)

Gwyn Lewis will bend standard ones for you, to suit your vehicle, for around £45+VAT (Last time I spoke to him that is).

Price is based on exchange, so no sending him accident damaged ones and expect to get away with it! :P

Lovely web page there (personally i have found paddocks online to be generally very good) but somebody deserves a good talking to, you know the sort where you leave the bosses office feeling lucky to still have a job, for having failed to provide on of the vital bits of information for the product :angry2: How many degrees of correction are they? or atleast name the manufacturer so that you can find out from them instead.

Stock castor is about 3*. Between 1-1/2" and 2" lift, the castor is zero.

If you correct the castor with cranked arms, the diff pinion and pinion flange will be rotated down. This will increase the slope of the propeller shaft, which will cause the u-joint at the t/case to bind (especially when the right wheel is drooped). Double cardan joints don't like large angles either. The other undesirable affect from castor correction radius arms is vibration of the propeller shaft.

If you have a double cardan joint at the t/case end of the propeller shaft, then to avoid vibrations, the angle change at the u-joint at the diff end needs be zero (plus/minus about 2*). Rotating the diff pinion down will increase the angle change between the propeller shaft and the diff pinion.

IMHO, you should:

1. optionally fit a double cardan joint propeller shaft
  2. crank the chassis end of the radius arms to reduce the strain on the bushes at that end
  3. crank the diff end of the arms to correct the pinion angle - to avoid propeller shaft vibration
  4. then rotate the swivels to correct the castor

Hi,

Just a quick update

Thanks to Diesel Jim iv got some cranked radius arms now to start with, Im having to have propshafts made so gwyn lewis shall be doing those once the order is in and iv measured them all up so hopefully all should be ok, if need be il fit caster swivels in the future but il wait and see first.

Many thanks for all your help.

James