Bottle Jack???

I have a Defender Td5 110 CSW (2005). The jack I have is the original one, sort of “high lift”.

I wonder if it’s a good idea to buy a bottle jack. Seems it would be convenient and easy to use on flat firm ground (e.g. highway).

Should I buy one, and if so, what capacity, bearing in mind that the vehicle is likely to be fully loaded? A crucial matter that I have doubts about: will the typical bottle jack lift a Defender high enough to be able to change a tyre?

Please advise

I use a two ton trolly jack. It lifts my Defender ar 3,400kg GVW.....

I also carry a Machine Mart bottle jack. About an eight ton one I think.

The Discovery bottle jack is better if you can find a working one second hand.

It's not the lift to worry about. Will it fit under the axle with a flat tyre.

mike

I wonder when you use the term "high lift" if you are referring to the scissor jack that usually comes with the vehicle and looks a bit like this Link. A "High Lift" aka "Farm Jack"/"Jackall" looks like this Link .

In their favour, bottle jacks are easy to use and don't take up much space and if you are worried about vehicle loading you can buy a jack with a rating in excess of the max weight. If used on the tarmac road they will give you enough lift to change a wheel. Off road they are vulnerable to sinking and slipping.

Points against bottle jacks are that they possibly don't give as even support as for instance the saddle of a trolley jack - a mechanics/garage jack, which is bulkier to carry but less fiddly - and if you are lifting a heavily laden vehicle you may appreciate their stability. I prefer to use a trolley jack - they are perhaps a better choice if you have the space.

all my opinon of course,

Mark :)

I have a Defender Td5 110 CSW (2005). The jack I have is the original one, sort of “high lift”.

I wonder if it’s a good idea to buy a bottle jack. Seems it would be convenient and easy to use on flat firm ground (e.g. highway).

Should I buy one, and if so, what capacity, bearing in mind that the vehicle is likely to be fully loaded? A crucial matter that I have doubts about: will the typical bottle jack lift a Defender high enough to be able to change a tyre?

Please advise

I wonder when you use the term "high lift" if you are referring to the scissor jack that usually comes with the vehicle and looks a bit like this Link. A "High Lift" aka "Farm Jack"/"Jackall" looks like this Link .

I'd bet the "high lift" style LR jack he's talking about is this one:

28af_1.JPG

It's the same one I have in my 90, in it's favour it's very slim, fits tidily behind the front seats. Slots into the standard jacking points in the front bumper and rear crossmember.

Downside is that my A bar stops it from working on the front.

I'm hoping I only get punctures at the back.

I only use a bottle jack as it's what my truck comes with

So far it has worked very well, but the golden rule is handbrake, in gear and centre diff locked when jacking the vehicle up, I also use the wheel chock that the XD comes with as standard equipment too.

Naturally use an axle stand for the long term, i.e. maintenance, but I have done a roadside tire change utilising the Land Rover supplied bottle jack and there was no issues. It does fit beneath a flat tire on a level surface. No idea how it would fair off road

Here's a link to an earlier Thread on bottle jacks: --> Click me; i.e stowage and jacking points

A well over-specced bottle jack with a decent sized saddle is ideal, carrying a decent trolley jack about is a PITFA and overkill for changing the odd wheel.

I carry a 20T bottle jack (cost: £20) mainly because I need the height, if I didn't a 10T or 12T one would be my choice. Well over-spec, lifts high enough and as stable as the ground it's sat on. I welded a 4" square plate to the top of my bottle jack to give a nice big pad and somewhere to sit an extension piece.

Mine also came out with the same as in the picture from Yakko. Have never been able to lift a wheel off the ground as it jacks the body until the suspension is fully stretched ..... only then does it lift the axle / wheel. I have never come across a more stupid patent than that ...... to have it supplied with the best 4x4 is actually an indication of how little LR cares about their customers after they have sold a new vehicle.

Bottle jack as described by Fridge & Mo = 100% for carrying in the vehile to change to a spare. It lifts the axle directly without testing how far your suspension can travel. Would rather use a trolley jack for workshop purposes though ...... it's faster to operate and more stable. Would be downright foolish to carry such a heavy piece of jack with the vehicle all the time.

Bottle jack as described by Fridge & Mo = 100% for carrying in the vehile to change to a spare. It lifts the axle directly without testing how far your suspension can travel. Would rather use a trolley jack for workshop purposes though ...... it's faster to operate and more stable. Would be downright foolish to carry such a heavy piece of jack with the vehicle all the time.

Why am I foolist to carry a piddling little two ton trolly jack.

It's a lot safer than a bottly jack and easier to use

img3039bx0.th.jpg

img3035cz0.th.jpg

Stows easily as well

mike

disco has original bottle jack under the bonnet, but also have 2T trolley jack in the boot most of the time...

Trolley jack much better on smooth ground, but not grean grass/mud/sand/rocks

I'd say a bottle jack is the best all-rounder, but if you are staying on tarmac, i'd go with a trolley jack..

Mike, no offence intended ........ I would say it's a bit like ..... horses for courses. It may suit your needs but not mine.

Cheers

Wikus

No offence taken.

Yesterday while visiting my locan Land Rover breaker, what did I see lying on the ground ?

A Discovery jack. Ten quid later the jack and handle were mine. Now I need to find somewhere to store it.

Like freeagent, first jack I look to is a trolly jack.

mike

I have a Defender Td5 110 CSW (2005). The jack I have is the original one, sort of "high lift".

The jack that came with my 2005 110 XS is a bottle jack with a two stage lift, AFIAK it's the original. Strange that LR supplied different jacks for two vehicles that are more or less the same and from the same year, or maybe it's not so surprising that LR just bunged in whatever jack was in the parts bucket that day.